Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Some rumours that if Leeds don't get Bielsa, we'll end up with your fat dinnerlady in our dugout.  Wouldn't be popular - a dinosaur of a coach who seems to need lots of money to deliver and walks away too easily from failure.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vreitti said:

I wasn't "pedalling" anything. Genuine question. I'm inclined to agree, he seems to have good contacts, but it's not exactly a unique trade, I'm sure we can find another manager with contacts. It certainly isn't a good enough reason for him to stay, considering our plight.

Absolutely agree after 30 odd years in the game he ought to have a good contact list as a given and you are right to point out this is no reason to keep Bruce 

I'm more convinced than ever that we should keep him, for several reasons:

• We probably can't afford to buy any currently-employed manager out of their contract, so we would be limited to a small number of currently-unemployed managers.
  • We need some continuity, especially if there will be none in the playing staff.
  • The loans that we can get next season will be crucial. Top managers answer Bruce's phone calls when it comes to loans. 

Obviously I'm in a tiny minority, on this site at least, but there we are. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, WaccoeOnline said:

Some rumours that if Leeds don't get Bielsa, we'll end up with your fat dinnerlady in our dugout.  Wouldn't be popular - a dinosaur of a coach who seems to need lots of money to deliver and walks away too easily from failure.  

Don't worry, he's got a track record of getting teams promoted.?

49 minutes ago, WaccoeOnline said:

According to some Villa fans on here he is the best Manager you or us could ever hope to attract and he's done it 4 times you know?

:ph34r:

Would be a coup.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DCJonah said:

When? Surely you don't mean us.

We finished fourth,for crying out loud.So there were 20 teams below us.I didnt like the way we started but I dont know if that was down to Bruce or wether the team thought that all we had to do to get promoted was to turn up.

The reason there is video refs and goal line technology is because a silly decision can cost you the game and we had that red card that was not hiven ( because it was too early in the game and the ref did not want to spoil the game ) Our tactics for next term should be kick lumps out of the opposition for the first 20 minutes ( because you wont get a card, noty even a warning )

I admit that Bruce is too defensive but I also think the team did not turn up for every game.

If Bruce stays there is a chance we could end up n the play offs again, if he goes then it is down to re-building a new team and I dont know how long that will take.Also dont forget what sort of manager will we get under the circumstances we are in, not a very experianced one I fear, maybe Nigel Clough or similar?!

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

According to some Villa fans on here he is the best Manager you or us could ever hope to attract and he's done it 4 times you know?

:ph34r:

Would be a coup.

Laughing now.  If we end up with the fat faced failure, wont be laughing then.  The look on his face at Elland Road when we all started singing about him...  "Jimmy Saville...he's fingered Steve Bruce..."  If it started to go wrong, it almost certainly wouldn't end well as relationships go.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We did have Bruce's team of which 8 - Bree, Elmohamedy, Chester, Taylor, Hourihane, Lansbury, Bjarnasson, and Hogan - remain.

The rest of his team have now left and he only has players left from previous regimes (that he needs to offload) and the youth system. 

The full team he did have he failed his objective with. I do not see how he will now suddenly get us promotion with what is left and the task ahead considering he has other players to move on first whilst potentially has no funds whatsoever to play with either. - His black book this season will be as much use as a chocolate toaster.

With the kitty he has had for this division many manager would have achieved automatic promotion atleast. For me, he has had his role of the dice armed with significant funds to do it with and just under in under 2 seasons. He has done well but it has not been enough.

His best chance was last season. How he set us up and played how we did at Wembley he bottled our approach to the game and we paid for it like many of the results that season in the same approach. It's beyond fouls and red cards I'm afraid.

For the good he has done in turning us around when he arrived to now I think he needs to leave as I just cannot see how he will do any better than last season with what remains left as his playing personel this season and £0 to spend. So it is back to square one really either way whether Bruce stays or leaves given other club circumstances at the moment.

For me It's time for a new manager with fresh ideas and imputus seeking a big challenge. 

Was Chester a Bruce signing? I thought he was RDM signing.

Considering our current predicament, I don’t think we should let him go. I’ve called for him to go in the past, but not now. If he goes then we need to bring in another manager who will either be currently unemployed or cheaper. Meaning that we’d be taking on a manager that apparently nobody else thinks is worth paying for, or one who can’t get a job. Also, we’re desperate for some consistency, we can’t keep going through managers at the rate we have been, some of our players have seen 3 or 4 managers in the last few years and it’s not helping anybody. I dread to think of a new guy who yet again doesn’t like some of the players at his disposal and says we’ll need to ‘re-build’.

2 hours ago, WaccoeOnline said:

a dinosaur of a coach who seems to need lots of money to deliver and walks away too easily from failure.  

Good sum up but you forgot the turgid football that he plays and his refusal to take any responsibility for his teams being unable to score enough goals. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WaccoeOnline said:

I don't know what you mean. Read this forum, clearly Bruce is a promotion expert - he has done it FOUR times. FOUR times! Wow! There is no-one better to get you promotion out of this league. There is no question that his credentials are impeccable.

Look, I know he didn't manage it with us, but that is not his fault, he inherited such an absolute mess of a club that it is a miracle that we didn't get immediately demoted to the conference North. He saved us with his wily tactics, fantastic scouting network and absolute command of the tactics of the modern game. You may argue that we put in some lousy performances, but don't be fooled, he was resting players. And those games we lost? tactical - he didn't want it to be too obvious how brilliant a manager he is and how good his team had become, so it was basically us giving the other teams a head start to make it fair. He always planned for us to go up via the play offs due to the added excitement and a trip to Wembley. It was only due to Fulham cheating, and scoring an absolute fluke goal that we didn't win. Bruce is a legend here and rightly adored by all fans, not just of this club, but also enviously by every other club in the country, nay, the world.

So don't you DARE criticize Steve Bruce, you would be lucky to have him, blessed in fact (as we have been for the last Season and 3/4), if he leaves I will cry for weeks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, holteend1982 said:

Kodjia is good but not sure he's £15 million good and jedi is another good one, forgot RDM signed him tbf 

Fair point, but at the time of spending £12m on McCormack, Kodjia seemed an absolute bargain. How times have changed for us.

Edited by Villa Stu
Reworded
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

We finished fourth,for crying out loud.So there were 20 teams below us.I didnt like the way we started but I dont know if that was down to Bruce or wether the team thought that all we had to do to get promoted was to turn up.

The reason there is video refs and goal line technology is because a silly decision can cost you the game and we had that red card that was not hiven ( because it was too early in the game and the ref did not want to spoil the game ) Our tactics for next term should be kick lumps out of the opposition for the first 20 minutes ( because you wont get a card, noty even a warning )

I admit that Bruce is too defensive but I also think the team did not turn up for every game.

If Bruce stays there is a chance we could end up n the play offs again, if he goes then it is down to re-building a new team and I dont know how long that will take.Also dont forget what sort of manager will we get under the circumstances we are in, not a very experianced one I fear, maybe Nigel Clough or similar?!

4th gets you nothing. The target was promotion.

And none of what you said supports the idea he can build teams on a shoestring budget. 

• Like 1

Â