Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

If he had of signed a traditional centre forward, we would be ok now......that was his one cock up.

small margins......I hope he has realised his mistake.

The hands where tied by this point TRO and he spanked a good fortune on Hogan the season before.

Ulloa never materialised and we got Grabban instead.

Small margins absolutely, but huge repercussions and consequences followed due to narrowly missing out on what was in my eyes a very achieveable objective in the first place given the tools and cash at his disposal.

#timeforachange

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The hands where tied by this point TRO and he spanked a good fortune on Hogan the season before.

Ulloa never materialised and we got Grabban instead.

Small margins absolutely, but huge repercussions and consequences followed due to narrowly missing out on what was in my eyes a very achieveable objective in the first place given the tools and cash at his disposal.

#timeforachange

I don't think it had any thing to do with cash.....it was to do with the right player, to do the right job.....its easy for me to say, I don't understand the implications, but I can only tell you what I see on the pitch

I like Grabbban.....but he was not the right player, good goalscorer, but not a leader of the line, more an inside forward for me...... LOTL ..one of those would have brought so many players in and got us playing less deep, further forward.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think it had any thing to do with cash.....it was to do with the right player, to do the right job.....its easy for me to say, I don't understand the implications, but I can only tell you what I see on the pitch

I like Grabbban.....but he was not the right player, good goalscorer, but not a leader of the line, more an inside forward for me...... LOTL ..one of those would have brought so many players in and got us playing less deep, further forward.

Where we not restricted to only a loan option at the point of Grabban arriving? Either way I feel we hedged our bets on Ulloa arriving at the time. 

I think he would have made a difference in a different way to Grabban.

I agree I like Grabban and I enjoyed his time here but like you say we needed something that little bit different.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Where we not restricted to only a loan option at the point of Grabban arriving? Either way I feel we hedged our bets on Ulloa arriving at the time. 

I agree I like Grabban and I enjoyed his time here but like you say we needed something that little bit different.

And this is where bruce was spoilt and failed. 

How many managers would have loved £12 million to spend on a striker and then 12 months later been able to loan one of the top scorers in the league. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Its just sad that Fulham seen it with Mitrovic and Cardiff with Madine.

we will wake up one day.

I noticed it all season, but chose to be positive and keep my mouth shut.....they need to sort these fundamentals out now.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And this is where bruce was spoilt and failed. 

How many managers would have loved £12 million to spend on a striker and then 12 months later been able to loan one of the top scorers in the league. 

I agree with that......and that's where he has cocked up.

Not tactics like some allude too.

We just simply did not have the shape right....square pegs and all that, was not right.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree with that......and that's where he has cocked up.

Not tactics like some allude too.

We just simply did not have the shape right....square pegs and all that, was not right.

The bold bit IS tactics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well apart from the fact that Green was injured for most of the season, and that Davis had over 25 appearances, your analysis is spot on.

Someone else said he didnt play the kids, i don't know if he does or not. 

But how many academy kids has he blooded?

25 appearances for Davis, is he the only one whose been a semi regular since bruce arrived?

If you do need to tighten the purse string will Bruce use the academy?

14 minutes ago, romavillan said:

The bold bit IS tactics.

No its not .....that is Strategy.

Tactics is understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition and acting accordingly....but if you haven't got the players you can't.

You can only react with what you have got......If you have no Traditional Centre Forward in your squad, you cannot tactically deal with it ( Adequately anyway)

and that's what cost us IMO.....Down to him, yes.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Someone else said he didnt play the kids, i don't know if he does or not. 

But how many academy kids has he blooded?

25 appearances for Davis, is he the only one whose been a semi regular since bruce arrived?

If you do need to tighten the purse string will Bruce use the academy?

It's more he plays them when he has no other option rather than trying to integrate them. It's just his approach to go with the 'old heads' rather than players he doesn't trust as much. There is an arguement for and against this obviously.

Green came in during his 1st season due to injuries and Brucey himself said that Green's energy 'gave us a lift' at the right time. He started this season by keeping Adomah out of the team (and squad) but then got injured and only featured for the U23's when he returned.

Again, Davis came in when really Bruce had no other option. I believe if Gabby had not been 2 stone overweight he would have played him. Davis did really, really well for a good stretch then had a few poor games and his confidence dropped. Once Bruce got Grabban in January it was Grabban or Hogan up top for us and Davis was never reintegrated despite performing so well for so long. 

Bruce has helped Grealish immensely though and Jack really enjoys playing for him.

Overall a bit of a mixed bag definitely airing on the side of 'tried and trusted.'

Edited by TheAuthority

5 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

I don’t know why but if Bruce stays on I feel more confident he will work better with no budget than when he was pissing money up the wall on Glenn whelan. No idea why no facts to base that on, just a feeling.

I could not agree more.

32 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Oh i see.

"Ger it forward lad"

"kick it, now kick it harder".

Is that the sort of words of wisdom from the touchline we would be getting? 

You're on the right track.

"If you don't have the sun in your eyes, you ain't been hoofin' hard enough!"

Seriously though, the most frustrating aspect last season was the contrast in performances and results and our indecision to get on the front foot and really drive a game.

POF first and second half a prime example. Absolutely dismal first half only to have the better second half and no one could've said we didn't deserve a goal or two had it gone in.

Our squad was the strongest in the division, by some margin, yet you wouldn't of guessed it in a lot of matches, even matches we bagged the three points in.

Cardiff and Wolves were better across the season and Fulham, once their team found it's feet not only finished in a way that surmounted us during the home and away, showed the work they had put in on tactical approach first half in the POF, where we, true to form, were largely reliant on the individual showmanship that our squad possessed at this level when we decided to join the game that was underway, a Jack Grealish masterclass run our best effort, most impressive anyway. Yet it was Fulham who knocked it about as a team, worked a high percentage shot, took the lead and ultimately won the fixture.

13 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

It's more he plays them when he has no other option rather than trying to integrate them. It's just his approach to go with the 'old heads' rather than players he doesn't trust as much. There is an arguement for and against this obviously.

Green came in during his 1st season due to injuries and Brucey himself said that Green's energy 'gave us a lift' at the right time. He started this season by keeping Adomah out of the team (and squad) but then got injured and only featured for the U23's when he returned.

Again, Davis came in when really Bruce had no other option. I believe if Gabby had not been 2 stone overweight he would have played him. Davis did really, really well for a good stretch then had a few poor games and his confidence dropped. Once Bruce got Grabban in January it was Grabban or Hogan up top for us and Davis was never reintegrated despite performing so well for so long. 

Bruce has helped Grealish immensely though and Jack really enjoys playing for him.

Overall a bit of a mixed bag definitely airing on the side of 'tried and trusted.'

When you are going for promotion....consistency is key.

its widely known youth players are not consistent, unless you have a phenomenon like Sessegnon.

Jack was our sessegnon, but he had still not shown consistency, prior to his injury.....on return from injury, we seen the new Jack.

Its hard to play youth players, when so much pressure is on promotion, its easy to plump for experience.

Its easy to be critical.....but its good, to be fair.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

When you are going for promotion....consistency is key.

its widely known youth players are not consistent, unless you have a phenomenon like Sessegnon.

Jack was our sessegnon, but he had still not shown consistency, prior to his injury.....on return from injury, we seen the new Jack.

Its hard to play youth players, when so much pressure is on promotion, its easy to plump for experience.

Its easy to be critical.....but its good to be fair.

I hope it didn't come across as critical.

Whisper it around these parts but I think he should stick around and the football isn't that bad at all. The squad age wasn't ideal but it's always easy in hindsight to say what he should have done. I think all of his decisions made sense and there is always an rational argument for the decisions Bruce makes. 

In regards to youth players, it's his nature to go with tried and tested. It's just how he is. It's not necessarily a negative thing.

• Like 3

Â