Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We've had enough nutcases here, it's the absolute last thing we need.

In my short time as a supporter, we've had a long series of leadership who just weren't up to the task.

A bit of nutty ingenuity mixed with competence is exactly what we need.

He's called El Loco because he has libraries of football videos and watches games of opponents religiously. Stuff like that. He's obsessive.

Guardiola, the most high profile manager of recent times, is telling you Bielsa's the best in the world and you'd say no thanks?

32 minutes ago, penguin said:

Bielsa is a nutcase. I'd love him here but you know, especially with our luck, that he'd quit after a couple of games.

Well longevity is not his forte in club football.

18 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

In my short time as a supporter, we've had a long series of leadership who just weren't up to the task.

He's called El Loco because he has libraries of football videos and watches games of opponents religiously. Stuff like that. He's obsessive.

Guardiola, the most high profile manager of recent times, is telling you Bielsa's the best in the world and you'd say no thanks?

I'd rather we got real about who and where we are.

Also be interested in how many of those football video's included anything remotely related to Aston Villa, cos I can't see someone in South America sitting down on a Friday night to watch a re-run of Villa vs Brentford.

I've largely 'bit my tongue' over the past couple of weeks. Naturally, emotions are running high and as with anything in football, it's invariably the Manager that gets the blame when things go wrong. What's winding me up is that a large portion (not all, as we well know from the past 18 months) of the people now kicking up a stink would have been heralding SB as the second coming if we'd won the final.

We lost a game of football, we'll lose more games of football, but if people think that losing in the playoff final 1-0 (when our players, not Bruce, decided to not bother turning up) is 'failing miserably' or whatever hyperbole they want to attach after failing, then I think they're in for a real eye-opener over the next few years potentially.

I'll admit, it's hard for me to understand the level of vitriol toward Bruce, I don't share the same opinions as most, I don't think last season was shit, I don't think we played shit football (overall), I don't think SB is incapable.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Blimey, he hasn't gone yet.....but you are getting your ammunition ready for his replacement, already....nowt like preparation.?

I would love to know what your reaction was when we signed Ron Saunders. .....albeit, history can be rolled back as a convenience.

Its the future that's a bit tricky.

Er..no

I have little faith in our current board replacing him given their previous mistakes. 

Relax

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Also be interested in how many of those football video's included anything remotely related to Aston Villa, cos I can't see someone in South America sitting down on a Friday night to watch a re-run of Villa vs Brentford.

I've largely 'bit my tongue' over the past couple of weeks. Naturally, emotions are running high and as with anything in football, it's invariably the Manager that gets the blame when things go wrong. What's winding me up is that a large portion (not all, as we well know from the past 18 months) of the people now kicking up a stink would have been heralding SB as the second coming if we'd won the final.

We lost a game of football, we'll lose more games of football, but if people think that losing in the playoff final 1-0 (when our players, not Bruce, decided to not bother turning up) is 'failing miserably' or whatever hyperbole they want to attach after failing, then I think they're in for a real eye-opener over the next few years potentially.

I'll admit, it's hard for me to understand the level of vitriol toward Bruce, I don't share the same opinions as most, I don't think last season was shit, I don't think we played shit football (overall), I don't think SB is incapable.

I always find these posts amusing, when i think back to that first one you made in this thread. To post that and then throw the word hyperbole out to others is amazing. 

And you genuinely believe our players decided to play the way they did that first half? Priceless. 

So if he stays what are your expectations? Clearly for some there now are none for bruce. If failure both seasons don't mean anything then what does he have to do to deserve moving on?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

As you know most weren't basing their opinion of Bruce on playoff results or performances. They were basing their opinions on what they've seen in front of their nose over the period of time he has been here considering the resources available to him.

And no I don't think most would have herald Bruce as the second coming because I've seen many on here still question whether he would have been the right manager to take Villa forward in the Premiership.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, striker said:

As you know most weren't basing their opinion of Bruce on playoff results or performances. They were basing their opinions on what they've seen in front of their nose over the period of time he has been here considering the resources available to him.

And no I don't think most would have herald Bruce as the second coming because I've seen many on here still question whether he would have been the right manager to take Villa forward in the Premiership.

I disagree.

The general view on SB started leaning toward keeping him and recognising the good work he'd done with even some of his most vocal detractors stating that they felt he'd earned next season, if we'd been promoted and particularly after we'd made the playoffs and then the final. Granted there are/were those who have stuck to their rhetoric, whilst I may disagree with those people I at least admire their conviction.

As with most things on here, it's one end of the spectrum or the other. So now that we lost the game everyone's on the SB out bandwagon.

I think on top of everything else that is going on and likely to go on, sacking the Manager would be foolish and a major headache we could do without.

I can just see the lines of people queuing up to manage a club with no money, a very average (at best) squad and huge expectations.

21 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

This will be my last post related to Bielsa in this thread.

That's exactly the kind of thing he is renowned for, he even gets his players to do it, there's a story about how he won over one of his more reluctant players in adoptiing his approach to opposition analysis, that shows he is not only thorough with tactical approach but able to win over players who don't appreciate the extra work load and intensity that Bielsa operates with.

Instead of an attitude problem kicking off and conflict ensuing, Bielsa managed to show this player the benefits of a bit of studying as well as putting the work in on the training ground.

Also, why does he need to have a library related to Aston Villa? He watches football, the world game, and despite being very headstrong has done pretty well in it so far, better than Bruce.

He would be watching Brentford if he needed to. Shit, I play semi professionally and I have to arrive early to watch videos of my opponent that my coach has selected.

So if Bielsa is obsessive as they say, I'm guessing that's exactly how he's spending his Friday night if he were to join the Villa.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

This will be my last post related to Bielsa in this thread.

That's exactly the kind of thing he is renowned for, he even gets his players to do it, there's a story about how he won over one of his more reluctant players in adoptiing his approach to opposition analysis, that shows he is not only thorough with tactical approach but able to win over players who don't appreciate the extra work load and intensity that Bielsa operates with.

Instead of an attitude problem kicking off and conflict ensuing, Bielsa managed to show this player the benefits of a bit of studying as well as putting the work in on the training ground.

Also, why does he need to have a library related to Aston Villa? He watches football, the world game, and despite being very headstrong has done pretty well in it so far, better than Bruce.

He would be watching Brentford if he needed to. Shit, I play semi professionally and I have to arrive early to watch videos of my opponent that my coach has selected.

So if Bielsa is obsessive as they say, I'm guessing that's exactly how he's spending his Friday night if he were to join the Villa.

I assume you're the highest paid football player in Australia then eh? ;)

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

I assume you're the highest paid football player in Australia then eh? ;)

Basketball, sorry. That one's gone over my head, but I'm going to assume you're having a light dig lol

And no, far from it. I've enjoyed a lot of success through it though, not that you're interested :)

I just wanted to highlight that watching videos of Brentford isn't beneath anyone who's taking the job, which is what I thought you to be suggesting.

If Leeds want Bruce I'll piggy back him there for nothing! We're in the shit I understand that but this is NO reason to keep Bruce, sorry. Hopefully he does go to Leeds, we get some compo and don't have to pay him off. Win win

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bruce heavily linked to Leeds. Knowing our luck he will probably go there and get them promoted. 

Yep then all the people saying how shit he is will be eating humble pie

Edited by Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Basketball, sorry. That one's gone over my head, but I'm going to assume you're having a light dig lol

And no, far from it. I've enjoyed a lot of success through it though, not that you're interested :)

I just wanted to highlight that watching videos of Brentford isn't beneath anyone who's taking the job, which is what I thought you to be suggesting.

It was just a bit of banter mate and a light dig at the level of professional football in Oz.

Obviously unfunny on all counts now that I know you didn't even mean football ha!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep then all the people saying how shit he is will be eating humble pie

Why? Its a completely different situation with completely different expectations. If he succeeds at a new club then it will mean he has done well. It doesn't mean he would have achieved the same here. 

7 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

These high profile manager recommendations are just what we need. Remember when Sir Alex Ferguson sent a letter to Randy Lerner recommending a great manager - what was his name, again?

Â