Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair point. In my opinion the only time we were 'poor' this season is the first 5 games with exception of Norwich. After that although we weren't great we were still picking up points. Yes we had a blip in December but injuries didn't help. 

Absolutely, we were picking up some decent points, even though the performances were mostly terrible. I honestly felt many of our wins were quite lucky, and was certain we'd crumble after Christmas time. Little did I know. Now we're actually playing football, and the performances match our results. 

We're not there yet, but from being highly pessimistic, I'm now cautiously optimistic about our fortunes. I'm sure GH and many that despaired with Bruce, now feel the same.

• Like 1

I think it's really great that even his harshest critics are now recognising that things are on an upward trajectory and there's been improvement.

I wanted him gone a few times and thought he'd be replaced before Xmas so I'm very happy that he's proving me wrong.

Unfortunately there will always be a tiny minority without the humility or intelligence to budge their myopic views even an inch.

Keep proving us wrong Steve. :cheers:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

On Boxing Day we slipped into  9th place after being outplayed and beaten at Brentford - those calling for Bruce to go had every right to express that opinion at the time and even xia and Wyness were tweeting their feelings that things needed to improve - since then we have seen a high improve that both in results and performance so no question they made the right call in keeping Bruce .

However I feel the criticism especially on Boxing Day and calls for his head were understandable at the time .

Yep. The criticism at the time was absolutely justified but at the same time it would be extremely churlish not to acknowledge that Bruce has done a great job since then.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yep. The criticism at the time was absolutely justified but at the same time it would be extremely churlish not to acknowledge that Bruce has done a great job since then.

Indeed ,7wins  in a row and a much improved performance level speaks for itself - credit to Bruce and his team ,

My abiding memory of earlier this season, is that some got a little carried away with their claims of absolute certainty regarding the possible outcome, whilst others preferred to retain an open mind in the knowledge that things can and do change quite quickly in football regardless of the immediate circumstances. 

My issue was not with the fact Bruce was being criticised because he deserved some of it, but rather the manner, which was unhelpfully intransigent and somewhat superior. The feeling of an agenda made this place unpleasant to visit at times. Of course that can all be forgotten now we look decent.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

My abiding memory of earlier this season, is that some got a little carried away with their claims of absolute certainty regarding the possible outcome, whilst others preferred to retain an open mind in the knowledge that things can and do change quite quickly in football regardless of the immediate circumstances. 

My issue was not with the fact Bruce was being criticised because he deserved some of it, but rather the manner, which was unhelpfully intransigent and somewhat superior. The feeling of an agenda made this place unpleasant to visit at times. Of course that can all be forgotten now we look decent.

Nailed it there for me too LD.

On the second bit though, I'd say the time for trawling through august, september and october and playing find the ridiculous hyperbole can begin in earnest if and only if and when we've nailed promotion down. And it has the potential to be a bit of a right laugh imo. And you're right, the agenda changed a bit from 'promotion' to 'Get Bruce' at times and, as one of those who occasionally stuck my head above the parapit to defend him a little it was pretty unpleasant at times. But it's the nature of the beast really and On Topic can be pretty unpleasant at times. And those times coincide with us not doing very well and 7 games in we were doing awfully to be fair to us. So yeah, we look decent - but nothing's forgotten. It's in black and white after all.

I've said plenty of nonsense in here and been called on it though. None of us are any different really.

• Like 1

Regarding previous posts, what’s past is prologue as far as I’m concerned. 

When we’ve floundered, some of the criticism has been completely justified. He’s turned it around remarkably, for which he equally deserves praise.

I’ve always thought Bruce could get us promoted, but I wasn’t convinced he would. I’m really starting to believe he may just do it now.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Question to Villa fans.

IF Bruce gets us promoted via top 2.  Do you believe that he can keep us up?

Looking at the premier league, i'v noticed that the fancy foreign managers tend to come and go. I think Recruitment has been the downfall to many clubs in the Premier League.

Sam Allardyce, David Moyes, they seem to be doing well in the league above.

Is Steve Bruce any different to those managers?

Yes, he can keep us up. Just like we can get promoted and we can end up in the Championship next year. Will he is where the question really is both now and always.

I don't know if Bruce is similar or different to Big Sam or Moyes any more than anyone else could guess from looking in at their media personae. But what I think about us IF we go up is we'll have a team, an ethic and a system. We honestly didnt have all those things for a few years when we were last up there so I'd back us to finish above 5/6 of the premier league teams next year. Stagnating and losing your best players like we were. teams like Stoke, Southampton etc. We proved you can't tread water for ever. And dont underestimate the role an engaged and enthusiastic owner can make. It even worked for Lerner in the short term.

We wouldn't be going up as a toxic entity like we were when we went down is what I'm basically trying to say I think, but good question RV.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dave J said:

TRO - forgot to say you were clearly not alone in what you stated about Des - I think it's fair to say that he was most definitely a players player although in fairness I think he did eventually win over the masses - I don't think Ron bought many duffers did he ? 

I won't hear a word against Des Bremner. He once bought me a pint. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Yes, he can keep us up. Just like we can get promoted and we can end up in the Championship next year. Will he is where the question really is both now and always.

I don't know if Bruce is similar or different to Big Sam or Moyes any more than anyone else could guess from looking in at their media personae. But what I think about us IF we go up is we'll have a team, an ethic and a system. We honestly didnt have all those things for a few years when we were last up there so I'd back us to finish above 5/6 of the premier league teams next year. Stagnating and losing your best players like we were. teams like Stoke, Southampton etc. We proved you can't tread water for ever. And dont underestimate the role an engaged and enthusiastic owner can make. It even worked for Lerner in the short term.

We wouldn't be going up as a toxic entity like we were when we went down is what I'm basically trying to say I think, but good question RV.

One thing I had underestimated while sitting on the Brence was the pull / contacts of Bruce (as well as Villa as a club and presumably Tony's plans as well).  We've attracted JT and had a look at Van Persie while in the Championship, as well as working the loans pretty well - that's impressive. IF we go up I hope we have similarly ambitious targets and think that SB will be better at landing those than many other managers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

or was he doing a great job then but the work had not come to fruition, so we couldn't see it, naturally.....not being funny, just a thought.

maybe he has always been ok.....just that the work takes time to gel.

I would be surprised, if HE HIMSELF is doing anything different....its just that those that report to him have all upped their game.....and confidence is also a massive lift.

just my view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

One thing I had underestimated while sitting on the Brence was the pull / contacts of Bruce (as well as Villa as a club and presumably Tony's plans as well).  We've attracted JT and had a look at Van Persie while in the Championship, as well as working the loans pretty well - that's impressive. IF we go up I hope we have similarly ambitious targets and think that SB will be better at landing those than many other managers.

I think you make a really significant point.

He does seem so well connected and liked amongst his peers.

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

or was he doing a great job then but the work had not come to fruition, so we couldn't see it, naturally.....not being funny, just a thought.

maybe he has always been ok.....just that the work takes time to gel.

I would be surprised, if HE HIMSELF is doing anything different....its just that those that report to him have all upped their game.....and confidence is also a massive lift.

just my view.

Where is the evidence for this? The way we approached games was totally different.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Not sure if serious? We are years away from that, if ever.

It's not how serious I am, I'm not the one running the club, but I would like to think the good doctors ambition desires a little more than mid - table mediocrity. Let's get promoted first.

• Thanks 1

Results have a knack of turning every fans head.....me too who has defended SB for months ,thought too, that it might need a change during December......I showed my weakness.

I think the danger is we ( the fans) give managers too much credit for wins and too much criticism for defeats......They set the scene, they create the backdrop, they guide and direct the coaches and players.....on a match day its the players that do it.......but sadly they ( the managers) are the first we turn to, when we want to throw our teddies out of the pram.....We see the players work, we don't necessarily see the managers work.

• can you credit( directly) Steve Bruce for Hourihanes goal?
  • can you criticise ( directly)Steve Bruce for JT getting his legs in a tangle and Gallagher coming close to scoring.

NO

He picks the team i.e setup.... he picks the subs, he dictates tactics.......but he don't play for them.

Personally, I am still uncomfortable with the notion that when we have a winning run as opposed to a losing run the manager is doing anything majorly different......I don't buy that. In fact the work he does behind the scenes during the losing run could be argued is the work that creates the winning run.....sounds paradoxical, but sometimes it is.....Development takes time and the bigger the development job, the longer it can take.

We could trip up and lose a couple ( god forbid) but it doesn't take away the good work in the 7 on the bounce.

We as fans need to learn to be a bit more resilient too......Our 8 years of demise has left us a bit damaged and brittle always expecting the worst, not criticising us for that, just making an observation. These last 7 games has transformed us back in to believers....The ground was rocking on Sunday and that confidence gets to the players just as much or more than Steve Bruce can Instill.

We need to find that again, when we are in a bit of trouble in a game.....thats what will get us over the line and the opposition drop off.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Â