Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Its an old chesnut, that one.

I used to be in sales and the old saying was give me a lucky salesman over a good one any day....implying results are all that interest folk.

Trouble is while it has a certain validity.....its so downright disrespectful to the job.....and you can end up getting an equally disrespectful response from the salesmen....its just a matter of time that it ends up pear shaped.

Good attitudes from fans, owners, managers, players etc all connect to a solid football club.

Steve is doing a good job, he will need his element of luck like they all do.....we will be ok.

Pretty circumspect reply !!

Id go much further - the scenario was “ if we continue to play well” by which I think the OP is referring to both results and performances.

In that scenario I would be astounded if anybody said he’d done anything other than a good job.

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Id go much further - the scenario was “ if we continue to play well” by which I think the OP is referring to both results and performances.

In that scenario I would be astounded if anybody said he’d done anything other than a good job.

Well i thought it was a tad hypothetical, so i reacted accordingly.....hard to be specific, when it may not happen.

but yes i agree.

12 minutes ago, terrytini said:

If we do not go up then I don't think he would have done a good enough job regardless of the circumstances. However if it's clear that it's the start of the season that cost us then it would make sense to keep him as manager. 

It's interesting. I was of the 'wouldn't mind him being replaced once he's got us up' mindset, but (and this possibly should have been blinking obvious) the more we're winning and therefore getting towards achieving promotion, the more that seems ridiculous. 

We're playing well. There is a very obvious team spirit. It would be crazy to throw this away for the gamble that is a new manager. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, rubberman said:

It's interesting. I was of the 'wouldn't mind him being replaced once he's got us up' mindset, but (and this possibly should have been blinking obvious) the more we're winning and therefore getting towards achieving promotion, the more that seems ridiculous. 

We're playing well. There is a very obvious team spirit. It would be crazy to throw this away for the gamble that is a new manager. 

Personally, i could never understand that theory, from many posters......but seen as we are winning and the juggernaut just rolls on.....theories are becoming much more clearer.

:)

8 minutes ago, rubberman said:

We are winning with a bit of style. We seem to have an identity and style of play after so many years of never knowing how we play. 

But we all know the biggest factor in our upturn is Grealish. We have a star in the team. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Personally, i could never understand that theory, from many posters......but seen as we are winning and the juggernaut just rolls on.....theories are becoming much more clearer.

The theory was due to the football. For so long it seemed like any chance of promotion would be us stumbling over the line. 

Its now changed to potentially going up in style and there being no doubt who the (2nd) best team in the league is. 

Thats the key difference. 

• Like 2

Can some tech savvy legend put the goal celebration up please. Just watched some highlights and they didn't show Bruce at any stage during the game. 

Well done team, I've  criticized the gaffer a fair bit in the journey but but I have nothing but admiration for him currently. Must have been a hard decision re being at the game but obviously the team appreciated him being there for them during his own tough time. 

Being telling my baggies mate that I'll talk to him when our teams pass by each other at the end of the season :D

UTV

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I am one who is humming a different tune theses days but when I hummed the tune you're mentioning I was envisaging limping into sixth, penalty shootouts all the way to the PL and just plain not being ready to be there. 

I was imagining us being like the team that sent us down. 

This is in no way directed at you @TRO but for few others out there. If you're going to ridicule someone for changing their view, and admitting it to the world. Can you not see how childish and counter productive that is, if not I hope you can soon. 

Some people on here must've never been wrong in their whole lives :wave:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have never given Bruce stick on a personal level, I've never really understood vitriolic abuse towards one of our own, it says more about the abuser than it does the abused. All I've ever been critical of in regards to the manager, has been the football we've played under him, which up until recently hadn't been the Mae West, but credit where it's due. We have improved immensely, and the football,  is at last, looking cohesive, and purposeful. We can debate all day about the catalyst for our improvement, but if the crap lies at the manager's doorstep, then so must the good. So I tip my cap to the manager for this great run of results, however,  we ain't there yet, and, God forbid, should we not get there, eight win's on the trot won't mean Tom Tit.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Question to Villa fans.

IF Bruce gets us promoted via top 2.  Do you believe that he can keep us up?

Looking at the premier league, i'v noticed that the fancy foreign managers tend to come and go. I think Recruitment has been the downfall to many clubs in the Premier League.

Sam Allardyce, David Moyes, they seem to be doing well in the league above.

Is Steve Bruce any different to those managers?

Depends what our ambition is. Water finds it's own level. Hopefully we start to challenge for a spot in the top four, whatever manager can achieve that aim, I'll take.

Wyness said we had a three team plan.  One to get promoted.  One to get stable in the PL. One to get us to Europe.   Does a three team plan include 3 managers?  

I suspect it does. If it does not, I think SB’s leeway for failure to lead the second team will be shorter than RDM’s leeway for failure to lead the first.   

7 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Wyness said we had a three team plan.  One to get promoted.  One to get stable in the PL. One to get us to Europe.   Does a three team plan include 3 managers?  

I suspect it does. If it does not, I think SB’s leeway for failure to lead the second team will be shorter than RDM’s leeway for failure to lead the first.   

Bruce will be given the chance in the premier league - whether he stays long will be down to results .

10 hours ago, rubberman said:

I was exactly the same/am of the same view as you now. All ifs and buts though... we could scrape the play offs still.

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We are winning with a bit of style. We seem to have an identity and style of play after so many years of never knowing how we play. 

But we all know the biggest factor in our upturn is Grealish. We have a star in the team. 

The problem would be, of course, that our present team would struggle to stay up.

Bruce would not have the leeway of an entire season to build a Premier League team as he has had in the Championship.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Depends what our ambition is. Water finds it's own level. Hopefully we start to challenge for a spot in the top four, whatever manager can achieve that aim, I'll take.

Not sure if serious? We are years away from that, if ever.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, terrytini said:

If he gets us promoted, as I now think he will, no one will be able to deny that he has done a good job, albeit the job he was specifically employed for.

Equally, if he does not get us promoted, he will have failed in the one job he had to do.

Simple, really.

• Like 1

I was another who doubted Bruce based on the way the team was playing which flew in the face of the players available to him. What I mean is Villa having attacking players but not showing that attacking quality on the pitch.

We could argue all day about why that was but I feel it isn’t coincidental that Villa’s performances dramatically improved with Agnew coming in. Bruce has to be given great credit for that because he identified with what most fans had been saying and did something about it. I feel that decision has kick started Villa’s season now getting the best out of the players available adding attacking intent to Calderwood solidifying the defence which has created the right balance.

I also wish to add the tinkering with the system and team selection has stopped with players playing in their correct positions and maybe the return of Grealish has allowed that to happen?

Its now a settled and winning team which Bruce has helped to create by the recent decisions he has made.

Long may that continue.

Edited by striker
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, striker said:

I was another who doubted Bruce based on the way the team was playing which flew in the face of the players available to him. What I mean is Villa having attacking players but not showing that attacking quality on the pitch.

We could argue all day about why that was but I feel it isn’t coincidental that Villa’s performances dramatically improved with Agnew coming in. Bruce has to be given great credit for that because he identified with what most fans had been saying and did something about it. I feel that decision has kick started Villa’s season now getting the best out of the players available adding attacking intent to Calderwood solidifying the defence which has created the right balance.

I also wish to add the tinkering with the system and team selection has stopped with players playing in their correct positions and maybe the return of Grealish has allowed that to happen?

Its now a settled and winning team which Bruce has helped to create by the recent decisions he has made.

Long may that continue.

There is a combination of reasons with Agnews arrival , JT return, hogan scoring and confidence running through the team -I feel Grealish has been massive in this upturn and if he stays fit we will take some stopping - we have several experienced players who have seen it and done it and will handle the pressure - it’s ours for the taking now .

i also felt after the Brentford game that Bruce was no longer the man for the job but I’m delighted to be wrong .

Edited by Eastie

Â