Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

On 11.2.2018 at 20:58, TRO said:

Takes a big man to admit that...

Not at all. It’s the easiest thing in the world for me to admit I was wrong when that means that the Villa are winning football matches. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dave.....when i was younger, i had a jaundiced view of Des Bremner, saying if we only had better quality there, how much better we would be......as the years went by, i realised what a donut I was.....basically not reading the game properly and fully understanding his role

I recently shared this with Des and apologised for being such a plonker.....we had a good laugh, shook hands.....and he told me to leave Glenn Whelan  alone.

just kidding with the last bit.

TRO - I don't wish to get into much of a debate over SB - to me it still seems disrespectful at this time  and I am not that type of person - I will only say I don't feel my view is jaundiced and will respectfully leave it at this.

anyway keep posting as I really enjoy what you have to say - whilst not always being in agreement- and as I said in my original let's enjoy the ride at this moment 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dave.....when i was younger, i had a jaundiced view of Des Bremner, saying if we only had better quality there, how much better we would be......as the years went by, i realised what a donut I was.....basically not reading the game properly and fully understanding his role

I recently shared this with Des and apologised for being such a plonker.....we had a good laugh, shook hands.....and he told me to leave Glenn Whelan  alone.

just kidding with the last bit.

TRO - forgot to say you were clearly not alone in what you stated about Des - I think it's fair to say that he was most definitely a players player although in fairness I think he did eventually win over the masses - I don't think Ron bought many duffers did he ? I remember Terry Donovan being one - but even he was a Mr 110% with a superb attitude- anyway I'm sure we could mull this over with you - but best get back on topic - cheers !

• Like 1

Question to Villa fans.

IF Bruce gets us promoted via top 2.  Do you believe that he can keep us up?

Looking at the premier league, i'v noticed that the fancy foreign managers tend to come and go. I think Recruitment has been the downfall to many clubs in the Premier League.

Sam Allardyce, David Moyes, they seem to be doing well in the league above.

Is Steve Bruce any different to those managers?

Edited by Reivax_Villa

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

I don't know what to say.  No matter what he does, you won't like the manager of our team?  I find that absolutely bizarre.

Completely out of context - funny how TRO managed to see it for what it was intended to be - I find this post of yours unnecessary to be honest with you - there was not a hint of criticism or offence intended and it's disappointing you think so.

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Completely out of context - funny how TRO managed to see it for what it was intended to be - I find this post of yours unnecessary to be honest with you - there was not a hint of criticism or offence intended and it's disappointing you think so.

I apologise if I've missed the context, but reading the full post what I wrote is what I took from it.

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

I can't and won't be a hypocrite that would be wrong of me - all I can say is well done to SB and his team.

i am not a fan and probably won't become one - so all I can do is sit back and enjoy and offer full credit where it is due in this moment 

I'm not trying to be snide.  Now is a time for everyone to enjoy that, for the first time in ages, we're not shit.  But more than once you've said "in this moment", which to me implies you're expecting or waiting for it all to go wrong.

I was calling for his head myself before Christmas, so I'm not here to point and call people names.  In the case of your post I'm genuinely interested as to why you probably won't become a fan.  Surely if he gets us promoted playing like we did yesterday there's nothing else we can ask for at that stage?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I don't know what to say.  No matter what he does, you won't like the manager of our team?  I find that absolutely bizarre.

It was my point, writing about Des Bremner, how i changed my initial stance, it may seem off topic, but i was relating it to Steve Bruce and how we can all change our opinions.

but apparently not.....Dave must have his reasons?

hey ho.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

I apologise if I've missed the context, but reading the full post what I wrote is what I took from it.

I'm not trying to be snide.  Now is a time for everyone to enjoy that, for the first time in ages, we're not shit.  But more than once you've said "in this moment", which to me implies you're expecting or waiting for it all to go wrong.

I was calling for his head myself before Christmas, so I'm not here to point and call people names.  In the case of your post I'm genuinely interested as to why you probably won't become a fan.  Surely if he gets us promoted playing like we did yesterday there's nothing else we can ask for at that stage?

With the very greatest of respect you have totally misunderstood and taken my post out of context

My views on SB are well documented and you will have seen that I stated I did not wish to be hypocritical against the back drop of a winning streak.

i really don't wish to say anything further regarding my views on SB - as a matter of respect to the man at this moment in time ( this is in relation to his personal circumstance) and nothing to do with football matters 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Out of interest. If we continued to play well but missed out on 2nd on goal difference. Then lost in the playoff final on penalties and was completely robbed by referee decisions in the game. 

Would Bruce have done a good job? 

22 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Question to Villa fans.

Looking at the premier league, i'v noticed that the fancy foreign managers tend to come and go. I think Recruitment has been the downfall to many clubs in the Premier League.

Yes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

With the very greatest of respect you have totally misunderstood and taken my post out of context

My views on SB are well documented and you will have seen that I stated I did not wish to be hypocritical against the back drop of a winning streak.

i really don't wish to say anything further regarding my views on SB - as a matter of respect to the man at this moment in time ( this is in relation to his personal circumstance) and nothing to do with football matters 

Fair enough.  For his personal reasons, and for the fact that it's a good time to be a Villa fan, I'm well up for drawing a line in the sand and offering a virtual handshake to you.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Question to Villa fans.

Well yes he got Blues to mid table and Hull to a cup final.  It usually goes wrong after a couple of season in the  top flight for Bruce, however if we did go up I would suspect he would have  a larger budget than any of the previous clubs he has manage in the top flight.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Out of interest. If we continued to play well but missed out on 2nd on goal difference. Then lost in the playoff final on penalties and was completely robbed by referee decisions in the game. 

I dunno.  There's a whole sequence of events that would lead up to that point and without seeing them it's impossible to say.

In isolation - if we've played well and been massively robbed, advocating a change of manager isn't going to see better refereeing decisions the following season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Fair enough.  For his personal reasons, and for the fact that it's a good time to be a Villa fan, I'm well up for drawing a line in the sand and offering a virtual handshake to you.

Virtual handshake accepted - I look forward to more healthy debate going forward.

Thank you 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

if we did go up I would suspect he would have  a larger budget than any of the previous clubs he has manage in the top flight.

That's key though, whoever is manager.

If it turns out Dr Tony isn't the real deal, and some of the initial concern proves correct, then we won't attract a better manager than we currently have and we won't stay in that division for very long.

:(

For me there is a big difference.

You can like or dislike players for all manner of reasons, and regardless of how well or poorly the Club is doing.

When it comes to the Manager I don’t think it’s really ever a case of liking or disliking, it’s a case of delivering, namely (1) Results, and, some way behind, (2) Performances.

There have been plenty times when Bruce has not delivered either or both, and it’s been perfectly reasonable to be critical ( and equally reasonable for others to be supportive).

He is delivering on both counts now ( although as MON discovered if you achieve (1) people can be harder to please on (2) !)......and I would be astonished if anybody were to find fault. If (IF) we keep anything like our level of the past month going for most the season he will get us promoted and ( rightly in those circumstances in my view) be retained.

Another happy by- product of this run is we can now see clearly that the quality of the first 15 is indeed very good for this level ..... just as some were critical of the Manager I think some have been overly critical of the quality we have on the pitch.

Another testament to Bruce, it’s harder and harder to find fault with his transfers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

In my view, Yes. He will have done a good job, if we continue as we are now doing, regardless of whether it gets us up.....but there would be a debate to be had about when it became a good job, and whether it should’ve come together sooner. However, in my view, that debate, in the scenario you give, would be moot, as in your scenario we would at the very least have done well for the whole of 2018.....on that basis and given the preference to avoid needless upheaval he shoukd ( and would IMO) be offered the chance to stay on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Its an old chesnut, that one.

I used to be in sales and the old saying was give me a lucky salesman over a good one any day....implying results are all that interest folk.

Trouble is while it has a certain validity.....its so downright disrespectful to the job.....and you can end up getting an equally disrespectful response from the salesmen....its just a matter of time that it ends up pear shaped.

Good attitudes from fans, owners, managers, players etc all connect to a solid football club.

Steve is doing a good job, he will need his element of luck like they all do.....we will be ok.

• Like 1

Â