Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He can have us playing like an Accrington Stanley if he gets us promoted. 

Why does it have to be achieved in such a painful manner?  Can't you see we've endured enough shit in these last 6 years to last us a lifetime. ;)

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We should be sitting in the top 2... not 5th and nearly 15 pts behind 1st!

We still may long wya to go. But I think your expectations are a  tad bit unrealistic. Barcelona football and being 2nd after a dreadful start and significant injuries 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We still may long wya to go. But I think your expectations are a  tad bit unrealistic. Barcelona football and being 2nd after a dreadful start and significant injuries 

The further it goes the less time we have so we really need to be winning every game in my eyes and that is not unrealistic on any level. 

The Barcleona pun was an example.. we should be setting the same example in this league, no excuses.

That dreadful start (after already being 10 months in charge) is down to who Demitri?

The same dreadful start that matched RDM ratio.. The same dreadful start after spending the money that he had in the space of a year.. The same dreadful start that had 3/4 of this forum generating polls and participating in the next manager it was that close to his arse being out the door.

Injuries happen to all teams - not good when Bruce spanks close to £15m on a striker who has not been injurie free in the last 3 years.

• Like 2

I really dont get the motto

“lets be shit so we can be successful“

Being shit doesnt automatically mean you‘re successful

I just saw on sky Ex-players (british) agreeing that the „pragmatic“ approach is better than Pep‘s

WTF?

when was the last time that a British Team (international or club), a british manager, a british player won ANYTHING of note?

Who are the current PL Champs? World champs? Euro champs? CL champs? Ch champs?

Who leads the PL? Ch?

Who are the Major contributors to these successes?

All British?

British style in football is both shit and unsuccessful

Bruce-Ball is shit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I just saw on sky Ex-players (british) agreeing that the „pragmatic“ WTF? is better than Pep‘s 

WTF

Please don't tell me it was dicks like Casscarino, Le Tisser, etc. talking about outdated dinosaur football and how it was in '95. Obnoxious clearings in the woods.

If I had a choice...

Play the Steve Bruce way..  Play the Pep Gaurdiola way..   Hmmmm, toughie that one!   :blink:

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Please don't tell me it was dicks like Casscarino, Le Tisser, etc. talking about outdated dinosaur football and how it was in '95. Obnoxious clearings in the woods.

If I had a choice...

Play the Steve Bruce way..  Play the Pep Gaurdiola way..   Hmmmm, toughie that one!   :blink:

it was the EFL show

Praising Rowett over Pep

The irony is

I can see Rowett „out-Bruce-Balling“ Bruce as his own game

10 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

it was the EFL show

Praising Rowett over Pep

The irony is

I can see Rowett „out-Bruce-Balling“ Bruce as his own game

Makes a change.

Well I suppose they got to big this league and their show up some how.

Nothing against Rowett. He is doing well and he won't make it easy for us.

52 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It answered your question.

What has me running a project got to do with Bruce pissing money up the wall playing boring football with players out of position when we should be further up the table.

I hope you are not getting a strain of the Brexit's virus.  ;)

No, it really didn’t, you just reiterated the same thing you said initially.

Running a project tends to need high attention to detail, hence, let’s hope you’re never in charge of one.

22 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I just saw on sky Ex-players (british) agreeing that the „pragmatic“ approach is better than Pep‘s

WTF?

when was the last time that a British Team (international or club), a british manager, a british player won ANYTHING of note?

Who leads the PL? Ch?

All British?

Bruce-Ball is shit

The main point you are making, I agree with......but it must be supported by realism.

Pepe buys or uses the best technical players around, he joins clubs with the wherewithal to allow him to do it......sure, he is one of the best coaches around so he can tweak those sublime skills to make them even better......He then plays an expansive game that these players can handle and pass and move is central to that philosophy.

Its the perfect style for me, if there is such a thing.

The reason why so many other teams do not emulate it, is because in the main, they have'nt got sufficient players of high enough quality to play it.....sure Man U and the like may be an exception.

other managers have to improvise and play to the strengths of the players they have....They devise/ use a system they feel will serve them best.....its unlikely every fan in their fanbase will agree.......because, every fan wants their team to play like Pepe's, but unless Bill Gates or Carlos Slim is likely to take over, that is just a pipe dream.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Welcome back mate.. how was your Villa Talk retirement day pass?

The money he has pissed.. just look at all his signings since he has arrived..

Compare that to:-

A. Where we should be in terms of position.

B. What another proven manager like Bruce would be achieving with the same players - Warnock, Allerdyce or Benithez would all have us sitting top 2 you just know it.

The Bruce defence brigade is becoming stronger than our own government's MOD. Incredible.

Just incase you missed it @bannedfromHandV

11 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

take a look  at the hogan thread.  (although there's more.  that should be evidence enough.)

That's one player, if you expect every single signing to work out you're in for a lot of disappointment.

The very best, with far bigger budgets and far better scouting networks also make poor buys, so are they all shit Managers too?

Alex Ferguson; Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson, Veron.....need I go on? Or was he a shit Manager too?

The further it goes the less time we have so we really need to be winning every game in my eyes and that is not unrealistic on any level. 

The Barcleona pun was an example.. we should be setting the same example in this league, no excuses.

That dreadful start (after already being 10 months in charge) is down to who Demitri?

The same dreadful start that matched RDM ratio.. The same dreadful start after spending the money that he had in the space of a year.. The same dreadful start that had 3/4 of this forum generating polls and participating in the next manager it was that close to his arse being out the door.

Injuries happen to all teams - not good when Bruce spanks close to £15m on a striker who has not been injurie free in the last 3 years.

For your dreadful start, that is not bad at all.

After losing two of their first three games this season (D1), Aston Villa have lost just two of their last 18 in the Championship (W10 D6).

Maybe a few less draws would have been great but Bruce for me isn't doing as badly as you and some others have suggested. Where did RDM achieve anything anywhere near that?

Edited by Demitri_C

After losing two of their first three games this season (D1), Aston Villa have lost just two of their last 18 in the Championship (W10 D6).

Maybe a few less draws would have been great but Bruce for me isn't doing as badly as you and some others have suggested

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

No, it really didn’t, you just reiterated the same thing you said initially.

Just for you. Bruce signings since his arrival at Aston Villa in Oct 2016 amass to a total of around £30m

Sam Johnstone   LOAN

Neil Taylor   SWAP

Birkir Bjarnasson  £1.8m

Henri Lansbury  £3m

James Bree    £3.1m

Conor Hourihane  £3.1m

Scott Hogan  £12m 

We will add say £4m scattered between the above on signing on fees included.

Sam Jonstone    LOAN

Glenn Whelan    £1.5m

John Terry    FREE

Ahmed Elmohamady  £1m

Josh Onomah   LOAN

Robert Snodgrass   LOAN

Chris Samba   FREE

We will add say £5m scattered between the above on signing on fees included.

When you total that up (before wages and bonuses) it works out in the region of around £34m there or there abouts.

Most of the teams in this league won't spend that over the next 5 seasons in what Bruce has spent in just over 14 months in charge.

To be sitting just about 5th in the play offs, more chance dropping to 10th after 2 loses than we are reaching 2nd with 2 wins, and with the money spent playing pish mediocore football is just a complete piss take.

Any other team with the right manager would have had this league sewn up before the January window had ended... Pretty much what Wolves look like doing - spending near the same amount as what Bruce has had to also play with.

What is even funnier is those that still insist Bruce is doing a good job!  :huh: :crylaugh:

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

WTF?

Who leads the PL? Ch?

All British?

Bruce-Ball is shit

Cardiff City / Manchester United respective league positions would suggest otherwise. Both lead by managers who are synonymous with "negative" pragmatic approaches to the game, and both are flying high. 

There are countless other examples of very successful teams who have not been particularly fashionable aesthetically pleasing. Leicester, Athletico, Greece national team (off the top of my head). 

I'm not saying its the right thing to do for us, but to suggest the pragmatic approach is unsuccessful is naive. 

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Maybe a few less draws would have been great but Bruce for me isn't doing as badly as you and some others have suggested. Where did RDM achieve anything anywhere near that?

Carry on with that notion through the 2nd half of the season will see us around mid table.

The losses and draws that alot of you keep ignoring is that they where winnable games bar 2 of them.

Polish the turd all you like but it just ain't flushing.

Turn the loses and draws into more wins and the odd draw, play the players correctly in the 'Aston Villa way' and I am sure all of us will be happy and be off Bruce's back.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That's one player, if you expect every single signing to work out you're in for a lot of disappointment.

The very best, with far bigger budgets and far better scouting networks also make poor buys, so are they all shit Managers too?

Alex Ferguson; Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson, Veron.....need I go on? Or was he a shit Manager too?

honestly, I could recap what I consider perfectly valid examples of where SB has bought players with good records and utilized them poorly, and (unsurprisingly to me) they have not done nearly as well here as before he signed them.

But we both know that list won't change your mind.  So I'm going to pass.

• Like 1

Â