Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I must start coming into this thread more often as I missed where this happened. I'd imagine Bruce's mom isn't the prettiest lady but crikey I'd imagine even she'd be offended by this ;)

Easy Mark.....I'm not that bad looking.

Mrs Bruce might be pleased to be a female version of me.....minus the beard of course

I need  you to write one of your usual sensible posts of where we are, particulary going in to this difficult time prior to Jan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its widely documented as to who might agree with me and who might not.

just try to remember what my position is.....I agree the football has been poor in the main.

I think a couple of good forwards who can score goals and keep the ball reasonably well...maybe show some nous at corners........would transform this team......and in doing so,possibly raise the performance level of players a bit further back.

But you said this previously. Last time it was a ball winner needed to allow Bruce to play more attacking football. Villa signed Whelan and.......??

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah RDM tried that and look how miserably he failed. Bruces dour football is more effective I think we agree on that result wise.

Results mean more than style at the moment 

For you maybe . What's the problem with winning in style ? How is that not achievable with a club such as ours. It's not like we've spent peanuts. Winning does not preclude good,decent ,football . That's why when we lose or even draw ,their is nothing to cling on to . At least if we were playing decent attacking football it would instill a bit of confidence amongst certain supporters, but it's always that sense of fingers crossed , when really we should ,and could be doing so much better ,imho ,that is .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, striker said:

But you said this previously. Last time it was a ball winner needed to allow Bruce to play more attacking football. Villa signed Whelan and.......??

I did, you are quite right.....and strange as it may seem, i have been pleased with him lately after an iffy start just getting used to the team.

My comments on that was not envisaging losing our goal scorer or crucial centre half and having to rely on an inexperienced young player.

last time, it was this or that or the other.

Look, how often have we realistically had a full first team, injury free.

We have lost too many key players, that have taken the edge of us.

be reasonable.

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

I need  you to write one of your usual sensible posts of where we are, particulary going in to this difficult time prior to Jan.

I try to stay out of this thread as much as I can mate and if I do click on it it I only skim read it which is why I missed you being accused of being Lady Bruce.You can pretty much predict the reactions after a poor result or performance.

I am also not sure how accurately this thread represents the wider fan base and I am not sure there is too much to say really. I don't sense that many fans want Bruce out and I don't sense that many fans feel he is the second coming of Ron Saunders. I think most just think he is doing ok.

For what it is worth I am pretty pleased with where we are at and if I just isolate the last 3 months I think we have done well. The football we play is for the most part effective and no worse than any other side competing at the top end of the table aside from Wolves who are an exception. I am pleased that we have now developed a back bone and can come back from a poor result and string a run of results together or have a poor half as we did at Leeds and then turn things around in the second half. I don't think that trait can be underestimated and I'd argue instilling that is Bruce's biggest achievement since he has been here.

Going forward I am pretty confident. I think the heavy reliance on a 19 year old rookie up top is now taking it's toll but we are not  far off being able to address that. I know some will argue that Hogan is being wasted but he is never going to be a lone front man and at present that system looks to suit us. We need to muddle though until January and at that stage if we can bring in a forward early to take the burden off Davis, with Terry and Jedinak back, Grealish completely up to speed and also Green returning I see no reason the second half of the season can't be an improvement on the first half especially if we can have a bit more luck with injuries. 

Things are far from perfect but Bruce has now at least put in some foundations to build on in terms of having a settled formation, a solid defence, goals spread through out the team, and players that are all pulling in the same direction and as a team no longer prepared to roll over at the first sign of adversity.

I guess if I was giving Bruce a half season mark I'd give him a B- and remark that he can do better.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I did, you are quite right.....and strange as it may seem, i have been pleased with him lately after an iffy start just getting used to the team.

My comments on that was not envisaging losing our goal scorer or crucial centre half and having to rely on an inexperienced young player.

last time, it was this or that or the other.

Look, how often have we realistically had a full first team, injury free.

We have lost too many key players, that have taken the edge of us.

be reasonable.

Lets try and stay on point for a moment.

Previously you stated that if Bruce brought in a ball winner it would allow the likes of Hourihane to push further forward and we would see more attacking football from the team. I had my doubts on that but it was a reasonable assumption on your part so I waited and waited and waited. Still the same conservative football handing the initiative to the opposition.

Even taking into consideration losing Kodjia and yes having to play an inexperienced kid who by the way in the main has been a revelation does not account for playing the same wretched football that Villa have played since the arrival of Bruce nor does losing Terry because Villa were still playing the same turgid stuff with him in the team.

Other key players?? Well the only one I can think of is Jedinak who isn't by any stretch an attacking midfielder so what difference would he have made with Whelan already doing his job in the team?

I think that is being fairly reasonable TRO. Maybe it's you who is being unreasonable not accepting the possibility that the main reason why Villa are playing hard on the eye football is down to the way they are being coached and instructed how to play?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

For you maybe . What's the problem with winning in style ? How is that not achievable with a club such as ours. It's not like we've spent peanuts. Winning does not preclude good,decent ,football . That's why when we lose or even draw ,their is nothing to cling on to . At least if we were playing decent attacking football it would instill a bit of confidence amongst certain supporters, but it's always that sense of fingers crossed , when really we should ,and could be doing so much better ,imho ,that is .

How many premier league teams are successful and play football outside top 6 ? Not many and they are better than us. For this level I think it's a tad unrealistic to expect both week in and week out. I mean we have seen some exciting football at Preston and burton to name a few.

45 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How many premier league teams are successful and play football outside top 6 ? Not many and they are better than us. For this level I think it's a tad unrealistic to expect both week in and week out. I mean we have seen some exciting football at Preston and burton to name a few.

...... to name a few

From 40+ games

You are joking are you not?

On 13/12/2017 at 02:09, TRO said:

Steve Bruce imo, plays to the strength of his players, nothing more nothing less....the better the players he gets to more likely he can break out of his mould...

Tro

are you being serious?

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Wolves seem to have the correct formula ,as did Huddersfield last season . We should be on the front foot in every fixture considering we're the biggest club in the division. That display against  Millwall was shocking and it's all too familiar for my liking .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I try to stay out of this thread as much as I can mate and if I do click on it it I only skim read it which is why I missed you being accused of being Lady Bruce.You can pretty much predict the reactions after a poor result or performance.

I am also not sure how accurately this thread represents the wider fan base and I am not sure there is too much to say really. I don't sense that many fans want Bruce out and I don't sense that many fans feel he is the second coming of Ron Saunders. I think most just think he is doing ok.

For what it is worth I am pretty pleased with where we are at and if I just isolate the last 3 months I think we have done well. The football we play is for the most part effective and no worse than any other side competing at the top end of the table aside from Wolves who are an exception. I am pleased that we have now developed a back bone and can come back from a poor result and string a run of results together or have a poor half as we did at Leeds and then turn things around in the second half. I don't think that trait can be underestimated and I'd argue instilling that is Bruce's biggest achievement since he has been here.

Going forward I am pretty confident. I think the heavy reliance on a 19 year old rookie up top is now taking it's toll but we are not  far off being able to address that. I know some will argue that Hogan is being wasted but he is never going to be a lone front man and at present that system looks to suit us. We need to muddle though until January and at that stage if we can bring in a forward early to take the burden off Davis, with Terry and Jedinak back, Grealish completely up to speed and also Green returning I see no reason the second half of the season can't be an improvement on the first half especially if we can have a bit more luck with injuries. 

Things are far from perfect but Bruce has now at least put in some foundations to build on in terms of having a settled formation, a solid defence, goals spread through out the team, and players that are all pulling in the same direction and as a team no longer prepared to roll over at the first sign of adversity.

I guess if I was giving Bruce a half season mark I'd give him a B- and remark that he can do better.

Probably the most sensible post I have read on here for a while. This is the balance that I probably can relate to. I would not want to give a grade until after the Brentford game. I think that is a fair point to give a grade as we have played half our games and importantly seen off important games against Derby, Sheff United and Brentford. Do well in those and it closer to a B+ for me. Not so well and we are looking at a C-. Shit I just gave some grades didn't I?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Probably the most sensible post I have read on here for a while. This is the balance that I probably can relate to. I would not want to give a grade until after the Brentford game. I think that is a fair point to give a grade as we have played half our games and importantly seen off important games against Derby, Sheff United and Brentford. Do well in those and it closer to a B+ for me. Not so well and we are looking at a C-. Shit I just gave some grades didn't I?

I‘d give Bruce an F (for fail) since Jan 17

If he gets us to the Play Offs

I‘d give him a P Off

If he gets us Automatic promotion then I‘d still give him a P 45

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Play the game Demi, at this level, unrealistic to be expecting to be 2nd in the league atleast with the amount of money that has been pissed up the tree?

You noted exciting football at Preston & Burton. I have had more excitment out of a christmas cracker than Bruces tenure in charge so far.

Any decent manager worth their salt (especially one with his promotional record and so far Villas all time greatest manager win ratio) who has spent the money Bruce has, would be able to get a tune out of 98% out of these players here and we would be 1st or 2nd right now.

You cannot defend Bruces fumbling in the dark and I do not fancy having to trot half way across the country in a hope it is the lucky game where villa get something from the game because we may play some rare exciting football.

You've gotta be on a wind up man.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Well rounded, summed up post mark.

you are the sensible one, to write in reasonable increments and not get drawn in to the everyday sludge like me.

I need to learn.:)

8 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

over what range are you mark(ing) him?

A B C

or

A B C D E F G

?

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

The voice of reason, as ever... and there aren't many of those in this thread!

Â