Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

46 minutes ago, hippo said:

No it isn't - if we don't go up then yes review it (and the available options) at the end of the season. Even then I don't see who we get - for every David Wagner there's a Remi Garde. 

If Villa don't achieve promotion this season with the resources available then Bruce should be sacked.

You cannot keep rewarding failure with patience despite who is and who isn't available.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We could but we could quite achieve less too Rigo its a gamble and for me not one needed at this stage. We are 5th which isn't the bets at the moment but it certainly isn't the worst.If we come through this period after Bristol City close to promotion spots then I think I feel confident going into the second half of the season as we would have played Bristol City and Boro twice and got that Brentford game out the way also. 

Then we have the likes of Cardiff, Wolves, Derby and all the top side having to come to Villa Park, they wont be looking forward to that.

Its all ifs and buts at the moment, it will be  alot clearer come the beginning of 2018 if we are still in the mix . 

I agree to an extent but I just feel Bruce could be getting a lot more out of this squad than what he is.

The worst case scenario as we have all seen in the last 1000 pages is not acceptable on this forum. ;)

2 hours ago, hippo said:

So would you take this gamble today or at the end of the season ?

FWIW - I was pissin my self laughin when blues sacked rowett and appointed Zola. 

Let’s put it this way - if news broke from villa park that Bruce had left of his own volition  I would be truly delighted with this.

Edited by Dave J
Wanted to withdraw a sentance
  • Like 1

He just need to get his head down and maintain our promotional chances but when he comes in for the critism it is his own doing in some respect. How he does it is going to be a miracle from where I am sitting.

He has bare bugger all to spend in January, his only options are more loans or sell to buy; of which his only option appears to be  is one of our key players as the rest appear unsellable.

He has a striker at this level who could easily bang them in with the right manager around him but is awol in Australia. His own £15m signing (depends where you read) is looking a waste of money and lost all confidence under Bruce, Lansbury and Whelen not set the place alight. Other players also played out of position when we have options available in them areas?.

We our now left with Samba who is basically sugarglass waiting, yet offloaded Baker to a promotional rival. (Sell to buy for FFP) I get it.

Relying on 3 strikers in Agbonlahor (finished), Davis (Nakered) & Hogan (out of form), Kodja (Injured) & McCormack (Surplus)... you would go for the best option available whether it's freebie or a loan or whatever, a prolific player who will do it at this level (Ulloa or that kind) with it being such a crucial crucial season that we are promoted...

... Let's bring in Oli Mcburnie!    :mellow:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave J said:

I think there is one or two who might not agree with you on this TRO.

Messah’s Hogan & Lansbury for starters imo 

Its widely documented as to who might agree with me and who might not.

just try to remember what my position is.....I agree the football has been poor in the main.

I think a couple of good forwards who can score goals and keep the ball reasonably well...maybe show some nous at corners........would transform this team......and in doing so,possibly raise the performance level of players a bit further back.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its widely documented as to who might agree with me and who might not.

just try to remember what my position is.....I agree the football has been poor in the main.

I think a couple of good forwards who can score goals and keep the ball reasonably well...maybe show some nous at corners........would transform this team......and in doing so,possibly raise the performance level of players a bit further back.

TRO - I respect you very much -  you are always measured and mindful with your posts - however you could say this probably about every team in the division, if Blues had two goal scorers where might they be now ?

we have two proven goal scorers at this level already at the club - but neither can appear to buy a game under Bruce - surely all of the blame does not fall four square at the feet of Hogan and McCormack? Is it not part of Bruce’s remit to find a way forward ( no pun intended ) for them - goodness only knows he bent over backwards to reintegrate Gabby - do these pair not deserve another opportunity whatever that might look like e.g game time or tweaking the team to bring out the best them?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dave J said:

TRO - I respect you very much -  you are always measured and mindful with your posts - however you could say this probably about every team in the division, if Blues had two goal scorers where might they be now ?

we have two proven goal scorers at this level already at the club - but neither can appear to buy a game under Bruce - surely all of the blame does not fall four square at the feet of Hogan and McCormack? Is it not part of Bruce’s remit to find a way forward ( no pun intended ) for them - goodness only knows he bent over backwards to reintegrate Gabby - do these pair not deserve another opportunity whatever that might look like e.g game time or tweaking the team to bring out the best them?

Dave, do you not think he might have tried?

Or do you think that he's purposely keeping two players out of the side who could propel us to promotion because....................I literally cannot think of any reason.

Hogan has had chances, he's failed to take any of them.

McCormack was average at best (for us) before he had a meltdown in his personal life, both were shit buys in hindsight, in the case of the latter it's definitely time to forget about him, he's gone, his head's gone and his body will follow shortly, if not already.

It's no wonder you get so frustrated with Bruce if these are measures used to evaluate him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Or do you think that he's purposely keeping two players out of the side who could propel us to promotion because....................I literally cannot think of any reason.

McCormack was average at best (for us) before he had a meltdown in his personal life, both were shit buys in hindsight, in the case of the latter it's definitely time to forget about him, he's gone, his head's gone and his body will follow shortly, if not already.

It's no wonder you get so frustrated with Bruce if these are measures used to evaluate him.

Hogan is for sure a yardstick to evaluate him by - who else should carry the can ? Clearly Bruce did not purchase McCormack but I say again if he can reintegrate Gabby then why not do it for a much better footballer and goalscorer ? I can only ask why not? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Hogan is for sure a yardstick to evaluate him by - who else should carry the can ? Clearly Bruce did not purchase McCormack but I say again if he can reintegrate Gabby then why not do it for a much better footballer and goalscorer ? I can only ask why not? 

Because, as has been documented (on the rumour mill at least), McCormack's problems are far wider than being out of favour in a football team.

There may well have been a lot of jokes made about it and on the surface it seems silly and trivial but that whole 'gate-gate' thing i suspect is the tip of the iceberg, it was what Bruce could say without being liable for defamation of character or something I'd guess.

You cannot just throw someone back into the team if they're not mentally and physically right, irrespective of a lack of other options.

As well as being highly unlikely to work out on the pitch it sends the wrong message to the rest of the squad.

Can we not just accept that there are things happening at Villa that we don't know about? Whatever your personal opinion of Bruce surely you can accept that he's a professional, that maybe after 40 odd years in football he might know something?

If McCormack warranted a place in the squad, he'd have one.

Edit - re Hogan, how about oh I don't know, maybe Hogan himself??

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Because, as has been documented (on the rumour mill at least), McCormack's problems are far wider than being out of favour in a football team.

There may well have been a lot of jokes made about it and on the surface it seems silly and trivial but that whole 'gate-gate' thing i suspect is the tip of the iceberg, it was what Bruce could say without being liable for defamation of character or something I'd guess.

You cannot just throw someone back into the team if they're not mentally and physically right, irrespective of a lack of other options.

As well as being highly unlikely to work out on the pitch it sends the wrong message to the rest of the squad.

Can we not just accept that there are things happening at Villa that we don't know about? Whatever your personal opinion of Bruce surely you can accept that he's a professional, that maybe after 40 odd years in football he might know something?

If McCormack warranted a place in the squad, he'd have one.

Edit - re Hogan, how about oh I don't know, maybe Hogan himself??

Steve - what are your thoughts on the game this weekend?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Pathetic

To be honest, on Hogan, I think people blaming only Bruce are wrong as well as people blaming only Hogan (which you seem to be) are wrong. They both share the blame. Honestly my post was said in jest but you do defend everything Bruce does. I have a feeling that he could re-sign Lescott and play him and Richards up front for the rest of the season and you would be like 'nice to see an English partnership up front, fair play Bruce'. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He just need to get his head down and maintain our promotional chances but when he comes in for the critism it is his own doing in some respect. How he does it is going to be a miracle from where I am sitting.

He has bare bugger all to spend in January, his only options are more loans or sell to buy; of which his only option appears to be  is one of our key players as the rest appear unsellable.

He has a striker at this level who could easily bang them in with the right manager around him but is awol in Australia. His own £15m signing (depends where you read) is looking a waste of money and lost all confidence under Bruce, Lansbury and Whelen not set the place alight. Other players also played out of position when we have options available in them areas?.

We our now left with Samba who is basically sugarglass waiting, yet offloaded Baker to a promotional rival. (Sell to buy for FFP) I get it.

Relying on 3 strikers in Agbonlahor (finished), Davis (Nakered) & Hogan (out of form), Kodja (Injured) & McCormack (Surplus)... you would go for the best option available whether it's freebie or a loan or whatever, a prolific player who will do it at this level (Ulloa or that kind) with it being such a crucial crucial season that we are promoted...

... Let's bring in Oli Mcburnie!    :mellow:

I agree about the striker thing expecting Hogan to come good or Kjodia to come back mid season and hit the ground running was always dubious. Mccormack I believe is finished at this level. Things were bubbling under at Fulham with him.

I think we will get a loan striker in Jan , I think it will be an experienced guy dropping down a division - rather than a younger player, Ulloa would be good IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

To be honest, on Hogan, I think people blaming only Bruce are wrong as well as people blaming only Hogan (which you seem to be) are wrong. They both share the blame. Honestly my post was said in jest but you do defend everything Bruce does. I have a feeling that he could re-sign Lescott and play him and Richards up front for the rest of the season and you would be like 'nice to see an English partnership up front, fair play Bruce'. 

Do you know what guys.

I'll leave you all to it, thanks for the memories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

• I am disappointed about Hogan, because I thought it was a good signing at the time.....hindsight is an exact science of course and it looks like we paid far too much...however,more than Hogan has left Brentford and not performed elsewhere ,so its not exclusive to just him.....maybe they commit / deploy much to attack and suffer defensively, judging by their goals for and against.
  • As for Blues, its a valid point, i think they would.....but remember the claims from some, we have the second best squad.....even with no goalscorers? i am dubious with that.
  • I think McCormack is a poor hammer to hit Bruce with.....He clearly has issues....I think its more a case of poor research on the player....strikes again.
  • Dave the Gabby situation is poor for me, I would have tried to get rid of him years ago, (way before the infamous 5 year deal.) like Albion got shut of Berehino similar deameanor for me.
  • I am not at BHM to see Hogan.....so its hard to comment on his work there....i prefer to believe Ryan Giggs comment.....players have to adapt.

Thanks for the kind words Dave at the start of your post.I too do not dismiss your points and I do have issues at times with Steve Bruce, but generally pleased with the resillience he has introduced......offensively, not pleased.

just an addition...I remember, one occasion when i was priviledged to talk to Tony Barton........I asked him, why Andy Blair was in and out of the team.when he explained, it was totally feasible.....managers have their reasons, its just they cannot explain every move they make.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well put.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Do you know what guys.

I'll leave you all to it, thanks for the memories.

Oh come on I was only joking about you being Steve Bruce. Come on Alex, your dad won't mind.

Seriously, I meant no disrespect. Apologies if I offended you. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Apparently not, for trying to be reasonable I apparently am Steve Bruce.

Well, I've been accused of being his mother.

seen as I am male by gender......his Dad might have been more accurate.

but hey! Who's aiming for accuracy or who cares.:D

just get out those pitchforks after Saturday.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, I've been accused of being his mother.

I must start coming into this thread more often as I missed where this happened. I'd imagine Bruce's mom isn't the prettiest lady but crikey I'd imagine even she'd be offended by this ;)

• Haha 1

Â