Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is this exact same debate going to happen everytime we have a bad performancs without a win? 

This thread is like Groundhog Day, 

I'd have less complaints if we'd played some football and attacked in a way that doesn't leave a full back lofting in a cross to no one every single attack.

Instead of look like turd again, and cling on to a 0-0 at home vs a team who will be pleased to stay in the division this season.

Jesus, what I'd give for an exciting 3-3 at this point. Obviously comfortable 2/3-0s are the dream, but I'd bite your arm off to just not be bored watching us.

In answer to your question though, I'd imagine so yes. Unless that bad performance without a win comes off the back of a load of competent, good performances, of which we've had very few this season in my opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andym said:

I don't think anyone would argue that players can't make mistakes that cost us, that we are not suffering with injuries at the moment.

The problem is under Bruce we have played the same way and seen the same limitations whatever the lineup. We struggle far too often with basic passing and movement, and when that happens over an extended period with different players, then to me that is a lack of coaching. 

I watched Sheffield Utd vs Bristol City last Friday and they are both better than us at keeping the ball and creating opportunities as a team, not just relying on moments of magic from individuals. I challenge anybody to say they would swap squads with either of those teams, yet their managers are able to get them playing nice stuff. 

At the end of the day Bruce has had resources far beyond most managers in the league - he inherited the likes of Kodjia, Chester, Grealish, Adomah etc, had significant sums to spend in January, and in the summer was able to bring in Terry, Whelan and Snodgrass who will be on huge wages for this league (Terry surely must be the highest paid ever). 

And yet 21 games into the season we are in 5th place, level on points with a team who came up from League 1, 3 points behind Bristol City, 7 behind Cardiff (where Warnock took over at exactly the same time as Bruce did here), and already 11 points behind Wolves.

Its not good enough, if we don't get promoted this season we are in trouble.

Well a team last won the premiership and their player combined cost was less than some individuals in the current top 6.....bet there was a few raised eyebrows in them boardrooms.

spending money, does not guarantee success, it just raises the odds that the player will turn out ok.

Steve Bruce imo, plays to the strength of his players, nothing more nothing less....the better the players he gets to more likely he can break out of his mould....He believes in resilience first.....so some don't agree.

I think if he can get in a couple of decent strikers you will see a difference.

as for warnock....posters laughed on here, when his name was mentioned some time ago, so lets not go there......they know who they are.

I think aspects of our play is far from good enough.....i would agree.

i also think going in to a promotion season campaign with 3 experienced strikers and 2 novices is folly.

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

Steve Bruce imo, plays to the strength of his players, nothing more nothing less....the better the players he gets to more likely he can break out of his mould....He believes in resilience first.....so some don't agree.

News to me. He's playing the same football he's always had his teams play, and again it's the same old rubbish about needing a few more bodies and a bit more quality. It would be nice to see him have an positive impact on our players, instead we're just getting by.

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Millwall was the point I gave up on us (again) , we are a terrible team full of very meh players

previously I gave up on us after Cardiff, Reading ( probably the worse performance i've ever seen ) , Bristol City  , Wolves  , Sheff Wed 

and after most of those dire performances Bruce has got the team to respond and give us some form of result , and like a love struck teenager whose girlfriend screws around I always think they've changed and this time they mean it ,and  I take them back

I think Derby ,like the teenager discovering the Bukkake party of his girlfriend , will be the point I realise it's not gonna happen and give it up for good

Bruce will probably limp us into the playoffs and anything can happen , but he just isn't doing it for me and I'd like him gone

Exactly how I feel - very well written, thanks for this

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Bruce will probably limp us into the playoffs and anything can happen , but he just isn't doing it for me and I'd like him gone

I used to be of the same opinion but one poster on here made a good point, you can't play puke football all season and then expect to win a playoff semi final over two legs and then a final as well. At some point during those three games you are going to come unstuck, especially when playing teams that are as good as or better than you and have a better manager.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I used to be of the same opinion but one poster on here made a good point, you can't play puke football all season and then expect to win a playoff semi final over two legs and then a final as well. At some point during those three games you are going to come unstuck, especially when playing teams that are as good as or better than you and have a better manager.

Hull did it a couple of seasons back.  We are going to come unstuck over 3 games - yet we have 1 defeat  in 12 (I believe) - not saying youre wrong but a 3 game unbeaten run isn't beyond us. 

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hull did it a couple of seasons back.  We are going to come unstuck over 3 games - yet we have 11 defeat  in 12 (I believe) - not saying youre wrong but a 3 game unbeaten run isn't beyond us. 

Yes but the difference is that in the playoffs you have 3 games against teams that all finished between 3rd and 6th, rather than playing the other 23 teams that make up the league. If you look at our record against those teams around the playoffs I don't think it's very favourable, BOF had a spreadsheet showing as much.

• Like 1

to quantify our poor style of play/performances - how many good teams have you seen at VP since we were relegated ? - Last season only wolves (who should have mullered us) - last season we drew with newcastle and brighton.

When Bruce fails we should look to replace him (go knows who) - but lets not pre empt that failure - especially as we sit in the play off places, with Kjodia, Jedinak, Terry all out injured. 2 of those due back soon , and a striker more than likely arriving in the jan window. There are no sure things - but we are in the mix by any measure. 

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Yes but the difference is that in the playoffs you have 3 games against teams that all finished between 3rd and 6th, rather than playing the other 23 teams that make up the league. If you look at our record against those teams around the playoffs I don't think it's very favourable, BOF had a spreadsheet showing as much.

Well I would love to be playing Shef U right now !

Or could look another way - the team that hops into the play offs on a run of good form generally do very well.

When bruce fails then fine - but we seem to be building in failure.  

Edited by hippo

12 hours ago, TRO said:

easy tiger.....who said the players are rubbish.....where did i say that,pray....you clearly do have your own agenda and trying to write my script.

I was merely answering a claim that they are all premiership players or ex premiership players, alluding to the notion they are not running away with things because of Bruce.

I disagree as you know and i was merely saying a number are with us for a reason.

Go back and look at your own posts mate....

Yes I do have an agenda.... Villa to be successful, get out of this league and consolidate in the prem and then build from there.

Bruce is not achieving that. 100% the buck stops at his door REGARDLESS of the cause - it is into him as manager to sort out the problems.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TRO said:

I think that is a desperate attempt GH if I may say so.

All those players that you mention are playing for us in a division lower than their current club for a reason.....They are not Premier league players they are presiding in the Championship, because their clubs have released them for a reason.

• John Terry is a 37 year old player who is playing well for us but his premier league days are behind him.
  • Snod was not deemed good enough for your West Ham example
  • Elmo's previous team are in the lower half of our league
  • Onomah is learning his trade and deemed not ready for first team duties in the Prem....If he ever gets there.
  • Johnstone is 3rd choice at United hardly classed as a Premiership experienced Keeper with them.
  • Adomah's previous team are below us in our league
  • Jed was let go, presumably because his legs have gone for the prem and we have rarely seen him
  • JC was failing to get in to the premiership team you allude to, hence his move to us.
  • AH is hardly an example he has been 6 years with us.
  • Richards was at the best team in the country, who failed to get anything out of him in recent times
  • Gabby is the best non playing/non scoring club captain we have ever had.

I think that is a cheap attempt to rubbish a manager who has attempted to raise the equivalent of" The Mary Rose" when we was leaking goals for fun and resembling a circus.....He has instilled resillience and doggedness where non exisited and restored respectabilty  to our name  and to use that example to further your cause to vilify him, is sad mate.

You make out they have all arrived from a top 6 premier clubs first team and he has ruined them all.

shame on you.

I'd save your energy pal honestly.

Literally not even worth rising to any more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheStagMan said:

Go back and look at your own posts mate....

Yes I do have an agenda.... Villa to be successful, get out of this league and consolidate in the prem and then build from there.

Bruce is not achieving that. 100% the buck stops at his door REGARDLESS of the cause - it is into him as manager to sort out the problems.

Agree the buck stops with Bruce .  I don't see how you can say Bruce isn't achieving that - we are in the play off places  with our better players to return. 

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is this exact same debate going to happen everytime we have a bad performancs without a win? 

This thread is like Groundhog Day, 

You could say this thread is as predictable as our football. 

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Millwall was the point I gave up on us (again) , we are a terrible team full of very meh players

previously I gave up on us after Cardiff, Reading ( probably the worse performance i've ever seen ) , Bristol City  , Wolves  , Sheff Wed 

and after most of those dire performances Bruce has got the team to respond and give us some form of result , and like a love struck teenager whose girlfriend screws around I always think they've changed and this time they mean it ,and  I take them back

I think Derby ,like the teenager discovering the Bukkake party of his girlfriend , will be the point I realise it's not gonna happen and give it up for good

Ah right, so basically every time we don't win you want the Manager sacked and when we do win you're placated.

There's a word for that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KB_Villan said:

For me, the club is in a unique position this season compared to the other teams around us.

In terms of infrastructure, history etc.  This is a Premier League club.

FFP is rapidly changing that.  In order for the club to move forward again. It seems to be crucial that we get back up this season. (based on comments from the board).

Failing to get up this year would be a huge setback.  I think next season will see big changes to playing staff whichever league we're in.

Except for Wolves I don't think any other team will face dire consequences if they don't get promotion.

So with all of this in mind, and the terrible start we had leaving little room for error. Its beyond frustrating to see points being dropped in the manner that they are. 

This is what is getting people on Bruce's back with every bore draw or losing with a lack of any fight.

Everyone can accept there will be bad days but too often we just look so poor and lacking in imagination despite having some of the best championship players and some lower PL players.

Obviously its nowhere near over yet, but game after game it doesn't seem to improve.  Its partly down to the players, but what are Bruce and the coaches doing about it in training? 

Post of the week for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Absolutely spot on, we are almost half way through the season and as yet haven’t beaten any of the current top 8. We are about to play three out of four games against top eight opposition, hopefully that record will change. If not we can forget the top two completely and start worrying about maintaining a top six spot. 

• Like 2

Â