Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This thread is amazing.

One of the most useless managers to grace Villa Park.
Have you got a straight face when you type that? Have you been living under a rock for the reigns of Lambert, Garde, Sherwood, Di Matteo, McLeish etc?

He‘s right

He is one of the most useless along with those you have mentioned.

Lambert kept us up despite Lerner

Garde was shat on from the greatest height so he had no chance to save us

Sherwood, as much as I despite the cockney-wide-boy-bell-end, oversaw survival and an FACup run before (during)he was found out.

Di Matteo didnt address the obvious problems

As for Mclose - the only positive from his tenure was that we didnt get relegated

Read my previous post if you want to know the state of things under Bruce

47 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't we will ever be any kind of aide under Bruce.

As highlighted by many above in different aspects, it is clear we have the wrong guy in charge here and I hope promoted or not we show him the door come May.

He is just useless on all fronts and is just fumbling along in playing mediocore football on a hit and hope style it feels.

I can't wait till he is gone, he has became one of the most confrontational, debateable and useless managers to grace Villa Park ever.

worse than these guys? 

Image result for di matteo

Image result for eric black

Image result for tim sherwood

Image result for alex mcleish

Image result for billy mcneill aston villa

7 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

He‘s right

He is one of the most useless along with those you have mentioned.

Lambert kept us up despite Lerner

Garde was shat on from the greatest height so he had no chance to save us

Sherwood, as much as I despite the cockney-wide-boy-bell-end, oversaw survival and an FACup run before (during)he was found out.

Di Matteo didnt address the obvious problems

As for Mclose - the only positive from his tenure was that we didnt get relegated

Read my previous post if you want to know the state of things under Bruce

No he isnt grasshopper. All you have to do is look at the win ratios to see that is completely wrong 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

No he isnt grasshopper. All you have to do is look at the win ratios to see that is completely wrong 

sorry mate

You are wrong.

He clearly said ONE OF THE.....

which includes him in that group of managers

In FACT

One can argue that 

Lambert overachieved with what he had at his disposal, McLose was at least successful in keeping us in the PL (oh that hurts to even suggest that) and that even Sherwoods „end of season“ tenure was a success. Survival & an FACup final (writing that hurts even more)

All could be deemed as overachievements

Bruce is underachieving.

Opinions and all that......

Stating that „AR82 is WRONG“ in saying what he said is wrong by definition of facts

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This thread is amazing.

One of the most useless managers to grace Villa Park.
Have you got a straight face when you type that? Have you been living under a rock for the reigns of Lambert, Garde, Sherwood, Di Matteo, McLeish etc?

Yes, I have a straight face thanks.

Any of those managers mentioned would get us out this league with this team.

What do I know.. you seem to be mr superior when it comes to defending Bruce.

If anyone lives under rocks then it appears to be you with your Brucie blind faith.

Keep trolling me though.. :thumb:

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Dave J said:

No it’s not - not if it is the manager - who is supposed to instill leadership, loyalty, integrity into his team, whilst at the same time talking to other teams - I think that’s pretty offensive in my view 

I work with some great Managers, sometimes those Managers move on to other companies to further their careers, does that make them bad Managers all of a sudden? No.

Let's hope you never get a Managerial role eh, by your logic that will be your last ever job.

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

worse than these guys? 

Image result for di matteo

Image result for eric black

Image result for tim sherwood

Image result for alex mcleish

Image result for billy mcneill aston villa

They are no Angels either... why is Bruce's pic not included?

To be fair, most have those managers where from Prem league.. but still awful.

Di Matteo just got found out. I wouldn't class him as a manager.

15 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Ok, that's fine, as an example of a decision going badly. However that does not mean that sacking Bruce would go as badly for us. Plus in relative terms Rowett was achieving far more at SHA than Bruce is here, so to me It is an even less logical comparison. 

The other part of my point is that performances and achievement were not the whole reason he was sacked.

What would it take for you to want Bruce gone?

Poor results.

It's all that matters.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I work with some great Managers, sometimes those Managers move on to other companies to further their careers, does that make them bad Managers all of a sudden? No.

Let's hope you never get a Managerial role eh, by your logic that will be your last ever job.

Your position under these great managers you say you‘ve worked under is obviously not football-related

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TRO said:

So why do they highly regard him then......are they all wrong.

Yes, they probably are. Listen Steve to me feels like a really stand up guy, and he's been around for ages. IIRC he was quite respected as a player, and he's had some success as a "lower level" manager too. Nobody is denying that. Therefore it's no big mystery that an outspoken, well-mannered guy, who mostly conducts himself in an orderly fashion, is highly respected by his peers, players and media.

That doesn't however necessarily mean he is a good football manager in 2017. It's a personal opinion of course, we all see things differently. I just happen to prefer the type of football displayed by Pochettino, et.al., as opposed to the turgid scheisse we've had to endure for most of Bruce's tenure (thus far). And frankly I don't see that changing, sadly.

• Thanks 1

He's very nearly our best manager ever :crylaugh: 

The problem with us and this forum and football fans in general, is that we're so wrapped up in our own teams that a glance at match of the day and the table means we think we know everything about what's going on at other clubs, but we don't have a clue what's going on at other clubs, apart from recent form. 

We analyse everything about Villa.. the tactics, the subs, minute by minute analysis.  We don't do that for other clubs.  So apparent problems at Villa are amplified by.. a lot.. 

We've room for improvement, but if you can't see improvement on our situation compared to last year, other the previous 6 years, then you've either got a very short memory or you have an agenda.

Is Bruce perfect?  Absolutely not.  Is he better than what we've have previously?  Absolutely. 

Will we go up this year?  It'll be close, but I think we will. 

Do Villa have the right to beat every team?  I've never understood that mentality of fan.  Why do we struggle against "lower" teams?  Because they come to Villa Park to sit deep, be difficult to break down and hit us with pace on the counter, which with out players is hardly a surprise to me - we're not pacey.

I only dip into this thread once or twice a week, and every time I do it's the same discussion - one week on, one more game played.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Any of those managers mentioned would get us out this league with this team.

This is the most damning I can be of Bruce...

Tim Sherwood would be doing better with this squad at the moment. Shameful and embarrassing.

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It is beyond win ratios..

The idiot is encouraging players back from the keba.. sorry wilderness and now has 60% of Villa talk believing we have Gabby Agbonlahor from 2008 ready to come off the bench and become a match winner...

And I live under a rock apparently!?

Edited by AvfcRigo82

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

They are no Angels either... why is Bruce's pic not included?

To be fair, most have those managers where from Prem league.. but still awful.

Di Matteo just got found out. I wouldn't class him as a manager.

Information correct as of 18 March 2017. Only competitive matches are counted.

Name Nationality From To Matches Won Drawn Lost Win%[4] Honours Notes
George Ramsay[5] 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland August 1884 May 1926 1,327 658 414 255 49.59 6 FA Cups, 6 Division One championships [6][7]
W. J. Smith[5] 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England August 1926 May 1934 364 175 67 122 48.08 - [8]
Jimmy McMullan 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland June 1934 October 1936 55 17 15 23 30.91 - [9][10]
Jimmy Hogan 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England Summer 1936 September 1939 124 57 26 41 45.97 1 Division Two Championship [11]
Alex Massie 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland August 1945 August 1950 189 76 46 67 40.21 - [12]
George Martin 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland December 1950 August 1953 119 47 30 42 39.50 - [13]
Eric Houghton 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England September 1953 November 1958 250 88 65 97 35.20 1 FA Cup [14]
Joe Mercer 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England December 1958 July 1964 282 120 63 99 42.55 1 Second Division Championship, 1 Football League Cup [15]
Dick Taylor 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England July 1964 May 1967 144 51 22 71 35.42 - [16]
Tommy Cummings 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England July 1967 November 1968 62 18 14 30 29.03 - [17]
Tommy Docherty 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland December 1968 January 1970 46 13 16 17 28.26 - [18]
Vic Crowe 23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png Wales January 1970 May 1974 199 88 55 56 44.22 1 Third Division Championship [19]
Ron Saunders 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England June 1974 February 1982 353 157 98 98 44.48 2 Football League Cups, 1 Division One championship. '[20] [21]
Tony Barton 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England February 1982 June 1984 130 58 24 48 44.62 1 European Cup, 1 UEFA Super Cup [22]
Graham Turner 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England July 1984 September 1986 105 33 29 43 31.43 - [23]
Billy McNeill 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland September 1986 May 1987 41 9 15 17 21.95 - [24]
Graham Taylor 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England May 1987 July 1990 142 65 35 42 45.77 - [25]
Jozef Vengloš 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czechoslovakia July 1990 May 1991 49 16 15 18 32.65 - [26]
Ron Atkinson 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England July 1991 November 1994 178 77 45 56 43.26 1 Football League Cup [27]
Brian Little 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England November 1994 February 1998 164 68 45 51 41.46 1 Football League Cup,[20] [28]
John Gregory 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England February 1998 January 2002 190 82 52 56 43.16 1 UEFA Intertoto Cup [29]
Graham Taylor 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England February 2002 May 2003 60 19 14 27 31.67 - [25]
David O'Leary 23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Ireland May 2003 July 2006 131 47 35 49 35.88 - [30]
Martin O'Neill 23px-Flag_of_Northern_Ireland.svg.png Northern Ireland August 2006 August 2010 190 80 60 50 42.11 - [31]
Gérard Houllier 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France September 2010 June 2011 36 14 8 14 38.89 - [32]
Alex McLeish 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland June 2011 May 2012 42 9 17 16 21.43 - [33]
Paul Lambert 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland June 2012 February 2015 115 34 26 55 29.57 - [34]
Tim Sherwood 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England February 2015 October 2015 28 10 2 16 35.71 - [35]
Rémi Garde 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France November 2015 March 2016 23 3 7 13 13.04 - [36]
Roberto Di Matteo 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy June 2016 October 2016 12 1 7 4 8.33 - [37]
Steve Bruce 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England October 2016 Present 59 30 13 16 50.85 -

[38

Bruces picture isnt there because as the facts show above his win ration is higher than most managers in our history

better than every single person i highlighted by a country mile

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Dem, you have been posting on here long enough now to know hand on heart..

Put this exact same team, manager & coaches in the premier league and we would be lucky if we picked up 5 points all season!.

He needs to go come May - Promoted or not promoted.

I forgot about Houlier. I didn't rate him highly at all and thought he was the first of many poor appointments but not sure If I'd put Bruce ahead of him. 

Basically, apart from Lambert who I thought was reasonable they all haven't been good enough. 

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Dem, you have been posting on here long enough now to know hand on heart..

Put this exact same team, manager & coaches in the premier league and we would be lucky if we picked up 5 points all season!.

He needs to go come May - Promoted or not promoted.

Rigo come on now do you think this team would be in the premier league honestly? If we were a premier league side we would have a completely different team. bruce can only beat whats in front of him. You are only speculating there while I have presented facts. The facts show Bruce win ratio is  just over 50%. That is excellent 

Â