Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see where you are coming from.  Both the club have a massive 6 games coming up against better teams in the league. 

Playing devils advocate imagine we failed to win any of the 6 games and ended up adrift of top 6. (Similar to January last season).

Would he be sacked?

the reality of it all is, He should have been sacked after the Cardiff defeat last January, The theory behind that statement is that he has not done enough to prove a credible decision to keep him.

We are not where we should be because of him, and are exactly where we are despite him.

This „nearly catching up, then losing“ falling short of the intended target

is now so far down the line that the margin for error is a continuum of „nearly catching up, then drawing“

We will be at a point where

“nearly catching up, winning, winning and winning till we cant play anymore“ Yet it still wont be enough.

Get rid - the sooner the better - before all options for promotion are gone.

BRUCE OUT

• Like 2

Here's where I am on things:

1. I do not believe we are a good enough team to get automatic promotion
  2. I think it's 50/50 we get in to the playoffs
  3. I always want the Villa to win, but I really don't think Bruce is the answer. I wish he would have gone after the poor start to this season
  4. It's so difficult to watch the Villa. We have some of the best players and play the least attractive football. There are times we look clueless
  5. We have a squad that would beat 5 out 10 teams without trying with me as the manager. The million dollar question is what happens when we play the other 5 teams. With Bruce in charge the answer is we don't win against enough of those games and we look poor doing it.
  6. If we lose to Brentford on Boxing day he needs to go. Dean Smith will have then beaten him twice and tied once. Sack Bruce, hire Smith
Edited by USA_Villa
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Pretty much everyone has blamed him for today's performance. What on earth are you talking about? 

my issue is that bruce's decisions are dissected in the finest of detail when points are dropped but games like qpr away he doesnt get the credit he deserves and the more vocal bruce out folks were relatively quiet after games such as that

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

my issue is that bruce's decisions are dissected in the finest of detail when points are dropped but games like qpr away he doesnt get the credit he deserves and the more vocal bruce out folks were relatively quiet after games such as that

Well we need pretty much 2 out of every 3 points, so when you win a game against the likes of QPR then yes of course it's good but it's pretty much just the requirement so everyone says "good, job done, on to the next". If you drop points against Milwall it's terrible and will rightly be criticised more than a win against QPR would be praised, particularly the manner of the "defeat". If we'd have beaten Wolves away, for example, that would have been gaining points unexpectedly and would have been lavishly praised.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

His 'promotion' record isn't. ;) 

But yeah. You probably can't beat Bruce for getting out of this league. 

Well nobody has been promoted from the Championship more than Bruce, IIRC.

So if you're argument is why didn't the board appoint a manager purely on promotion record, the answer is that's exactly what they did.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well nobody has been promoted from the Championship more than Bruce, IIRC.

So if you're argument is why didn't the board appoint a manager purely on promotion record, the answer is that's exactly what they did.

I agree they did. I though Warnock had more Championship promotions under his belt. But it's actually only 2. 

Bruce is certainly the past expert of getting out of this league. 

Yeah promoted by any means necessary is the order of the day.

I think it's very interesting that his post match Millwall comments are exactly what a few of us on here have been levelling as the main problems. Inability to keep the ball, inability to manage a game, sloppy, slow... It's what a lot of us have been saying even whilst we were winning. It's those things that are the big issues, I'm not anti Bruce, I'm anti being a poorly organised and coached football team. If Bruce can sort that out then Bruce all the way for me.

It's clear we have the talent at this level, we have gained a shedload of points through individual skill, or a flash of 2 or 3 of them combining. The total minutes of us looking good as a team WITH the ball has been a small percentage of the minutes we have played this season. We are ten times the team we were WITHOUT the ball before Bruce, and that's to his credit. I'm of the opinion that that's only half the battle though, and he's had time.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm not arsed with all this talk of "top 2 or it's not good enough".

We just need to get promoted.  I don't care if that's automatically, through the play offs, or via the Postcode Lottery.

Exactly. I read a post about how he should be sacked if we go up via playoffs rather than top 2. Like any Villa fan will give a shit when the time comes! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Exaxtly. I read a post about how he should be sacked if we go up via playoffs rather than top 2. Like any Villa fan will give a shit when the time comes! 

I'd prefer to go up via the playoffs to be completely honest.

I do think Playoffs will be an underperformance for us. But if we go up we go up, and to sack bruce would be mental after that.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I do think Playoffs will be an underperformance for us. But if we go up we go up, and to sack bruce would be mental after that.

Why? Do you honestly think Bruce is good enough for the premier league? We'd get slaughtered every week.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Why? Do you honestly think Bruce is good enough for the premier league? We'd get slaughtered every week.

With this squad we'd get slaughtered most weeks regardless who's in charge.

If/when we get promoted, we need to hope Dr Tony has kept that £500m bank account he opened when he bought the club.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TRO said:

Its about opinions.

I know Bruce is not perfect.....he has already admitted he got the selection wrong, should have played Hourihane.

I just happen to think, a number of our players, right now, are not good enough in games, for a variety of reasons.

A manager is only as good as his players......and he will, given the opportunity strengthen the squad.

Its not just one single problem, its both.

I just think offensively we are weak.

Only the ones he signed? Or also those for whom it is his responsibility to be sure they receive and respond to the proper coaching to assure they, and the team,  succeed?  

I don’t think he’s at fault for every errror a player makes, but I think you let him off far too easily for things that ARE his job.  

19 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

With this squad we'd get slaughtered most weeks regardless who's in charge.

If/when we get promoted, we need to hope Dr Tony has kept that £500m bank account he opened when he bought the club.

We could have Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar, and I still wouldn't trust Bruce to get us playing anything resembling football. I realize I'm being harsh, but I've got absolutely nothing against Bruce as a person, I just think he's a terrible football manager.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Define "good enough".

Good enough to keep us in it for a season? Yes.

Good enough to take us further than that? Probably not.

I'd be quite happy to see him sacked, depending on the replacement, by the way. It would still be mental if it happened though. And it won't.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm not arsed with all this talk of "top 2 or it's not good enough".

We just need to get promoted.  I don't care if that's automatically, through the play offs, or via the Postcode Lottery.

Agreed. 

The way we play gives me little faith we'd perform well enough in 3 consecutive games to see off 2 other playoff teams. 

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

Only the ones he signed? Or also those for whom it is his responsibility to be sure they receive and respond to the proper coaching to assure they, and the team,  succeed?  

I don’t think he’s at fault for every errror a player makes, but I think you let him off far too easily for things that ARE his job.  

I think there will be a time.....when he will out grow his usefulness, but we were in dire trouble and resilience is what we needed to give us a platform.

I understand that to move on we may need a new approach.....but whoever that new manager is to bring in a more adventurous style....He will need players who he can get to fulfill those ideas.

when pepe works his magic, its with players who can respond and who can execute his thoughts.

i have never intimated you are wrong.....i am just arguing the realism of where we are.

We have no strikers who can move intelligently up front to take the fight to the opposition, so maybe resillience is all we have to survive in this promotion race right now.

we are stuffed with FFP, we are not sure what funds we have, so its a very tricky time to be changing managers.....as much as we want to move forward, we could book a trip back i.e Leonid Slutsky who came with a good pedigree.

No manager with high pedigree will come to us with no money or strapped with FFP.

We have to stay with him for now, get the injured players back and see if we can get JT equivalent up front on loan in Jan.

I am not as dissmissive of your claims as you think.....I just think it could be worse as we have seen over the past 7-8 years.

I would like to do a Wolves and Nuno has done great.......but Jorge Mendes ably funded by the chinese have worked wonders too.....I am not convinced that Nuno would get the same out of our players.

Â