Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but who is the right man? 

Someone actually suggested pulis last night! Wether people like it or not, we could have been like Sunderland, we are not. We are in the play offs, which is probably our true position. Yesterday's result was down to a lack of choices because of injuries and poor decision making by players, and Bruce , IMO starting Lansbury ahead of grealish was strange. 

I understood the Hutton swap, he was trying to get the ball to the forwards. Elmo can cross Hutton can't. 

Everyones entitled to their views, I just don't think it has to be totally one side of the other.

im now going to build a snow man, he'll have the movement of samba, the crossing ability of Hutton, and the awareness of kodjia. 

I find it fascinating that those against Bruce use examples such as the players picked or the subs made for why Bruce is doing poorly. 

For me personally when you have a squad such as ours these kind of decisions should not be having a major effect on whether you play well against the mighty Millwall. 

The problems at games like yesterday run deeper than a few player changes. I'm hoping it was a one off because the effort, desire and motivation was appalling. It was a lazy performance. One of the worst I've seen this season. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Replacing 8 players that can’t follow good instruction you assume they are getting.  Or we replace the manager.   Which sounds like more of a shotgun approach to you?

Its about opinions.

I know Bruce is not perfect.....he has already admitted he got the selection wrong, should have played Hourihane.

I just happen to think, a number of our players, right now, are not good enough in games, for a variety of reasons.

A manager is only as good as his players......and he will, given the opportunity strengthen the squad.

Its not just one single problem, its both.

I just think offensively we are weak.

Edited by TRO

We haven’t as yet beaten a team in the current top 8. Three out of our next four games are against top eight teams. Performances and results in those games I believe are key to our season. Unless we can start beating the teams around us, we have no chance of progressing and achieving our season’s target of automatic promotion. If we can’t do that, then the option of rolling the dice becomes very attractive. Particularly if we can identify a suitable candidate to advance us. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its about opinions.

I know Bruce is not perfect.....he has already admitted he got the selection wrong, should have played Hourihane.

I just happen to think, a number of our players, right now, are not good enough in games, for a variety of reasons.

A manager is only as good as his players......and he will, given the opportunity strengthen the squad.

For me the managers (and his coaches) job is to both get the best out of his players by building a system and tactic to best utilize them, and to improve them.

And for for me Bruce isn't quite doing that. (This isn't meant as a Bruce out rant, rather an area he need to improve on if we are to get promoted)

I agree a number of our players are not good enough, but that goes for every team in this league (bar maybe Wolves?) It's the Championship, it's filled with mediocre players.

Buying new players is all fine, but as we saw last January, it's pretty hard to get it right. And we cant afford another dismal winter run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

We haven’t as yet beaten a team in the current top 8. Three out of our next four games are against top eight teams. Performances and results in those games I believe are key to our season. Unless we can start beating the teams around us, we have no chance of progressing and achieving our season’s target of automatic promotion. If we can’t do that, then the option of rolling the dice becomes very attractive. Particularly if we can identify a suitable candidate to advance us. 

Never mind automatic promotion, if we cannot beat a top 8 team we will not get through the playoffs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its about opinions.

What? That's a ridiculous thing to say. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

I honestly think it's ridiculous to say our players are not good enough. We have probably the best defence and keeper in the league. We two of the best wingers and some of the best young talents in the league. We've got a £12m striker on the bench. We have the players. 

Good players (for this level) managed by a total idiot, there's your problem.

• Like 2

I only saw 45 minutes of the game yesterday, so will only post on that part.

We should have lost the game, poor finishing and great goalkeeping allowed us to hang onto a point. It was a poor performance overall and with the injuries, we picked up, wasn't a great day.   

I think with the players he has at his disposal, I think Bruce picked the right team, but they didn't play well enough in the right areas of the field. I don't think Bruce's subs were the best and he should have gone like for like.

Grealish should have replaced Onomah, and Elmo should have come on for Snodgrass. I felt it made us more disjointed and pulled Albert off his favored right side.

The team is showing a great deal of resilience and Bruce is right, we would have lost this game last year. No team is always going to perform and win every game, when we don't win, we need to make sure we don't lose.

If we can get to the new year in the top 6 and in a shout of the top 2, I believe we would do well with injuries we have at present.

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Pretty much everyone has blamed him for today's performance. What on earth are you talking about? 

No they haven't and if you read this thread it is full of people excusing him. That's what I am talking about, that and the general snide comments from the Bruce supporters when we do scrape a win.

Edited by TheStagMan

Just now, TheStagMan said:

No they haven't and if you read this thread it is full of people excusing him. Tha5s what I am talking about, that and the general snide comments from the Bruce supporters when we do scrape a win.

Maybe it's because I skimmed through it. The Bruce supporters seem few and far between to me. 

Either way still no point in sacking him now. He had the whole season unless we go on a really poor run of results leaving us adrift of the playoffs!  Obviously we all hope that doesn't happen. 

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Lol. I see we’re back to sacking Bruce again and appointing this mythical manager who would be easy to find and would get us promoted in a twinkling. 

LOL is we we are back to making sarky comments about those who are concerned for the future of our club under the "stewardship" of a manager who isn't good enough.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

LOL is we we are back to making sarky comments about those who are concerned for the future of our club under the "stewardship" of a manager who isn't good enough.

His job is to get us promoted this season, he hasn't failed yet. If he does, he will be rightly sacked.

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe it's because I skimmed through it. The Bruce supporters seem few and far between to me. 

Either way still no point in sacking him now. He had the whole season unless we go on a really poor run of results leaving us adrift of the playoffs!  Obviously we all hope that doesn't happen. 

I do agree that we can't sack him at the moment, and there is no obvious replacement available, and that is really depressing.

Won't stop me criticising rubbish performances though. :angry:

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The problem is, that he has been cut so much slack, that keeping in touch with the play off places is now deemed to be good enough for him not to lose his job. At the start of the season, even the staunch Bruce supporters, were saying top two is the only acceptable scenario. 

I’m not having a dig at you VLV, I think most people are reduced to lowering their expectations. And looking at the bigger picture, that has been the case since Randy Lerner lost interest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The problem is, that he has been cut so much slack, that keeping in touch with the play off places is now deemed to be good enough for him not to lose his job. At the start of the season, even the staunch Bruce supporters, were saying top two is the only acceptable scenario. 

I’m not having a dig at you VLV, I think most people are reduced to lowering their expectations. And looking at the bigger picture, that has been the case since Randy Lerner lost interest. 

I see where you are coming from.  Both the club have a massive 6 games coming up against better teams in the league. 

Playing devils advocate imagine we failed to win any of the 6 games and ended up adrift of top 6. (Similar to January last season).

Would he be sacked?

9 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

e

9 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I do agree that we can't sack him at the moment, and there is no obvious replacement available, and that is really depressing.

Won't stop me criticising rubbish performances though. :angry:

There are no obvious replacements I agree. But we’re just fans, not employed or with enough knowledge to really know who is available. Did many of us know about Pochettino before he arrived at Southampton. Or Wagner, Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche? Would we have been clambering for Santo when he arrived at Wolves. These guys are all now hot property and as such probably out of our reach. Someone at the club needs to be able to unearth the next hot property, because by the time they’ve become an obvious choice, it’s too late.

Not easy I know, but that’s what we ultimately need. Southampton have been pretty good at it for a while and Wolves new owners certainly appear to have got it right. Mr Wyness and his merry men have a big responsibility. If they’re not up to it, then they need to move over and let someone else try. But that’s for another thread. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see where you are coming from.  Both the club have a massive 6 games coming up against better teams in the league. 

Playing devils advocate imagine we failed to win any of the 6 games and ended up adrift of top 6. (Similar to January last season).

Would he be sacked?

I’d hope so!

Â