Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

22 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

There are only really 3 key players out. Terry, Kodjia and Jedi - in that order. 

Hogan, Green and RHM are not really first teamers although now would have been ideal for them to try and stake a claim

Gabby and Micah are just a waste of wages so no loss there.

Out on loan is a choice not an injury. 

Yes we have injury problems but let's not make out we have lost half the first team.

Okay but let's not skim over the fact that we have lost our 2 best and most influential players.

Let's also not skim over the fact that we have had 1 fit striker for the past few weeks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, striker said:

In numbers yes but you'd have to look at the contributions those players were making performance wise before being injured.

Aside from Terry the other two aren't being missed at the moment.

I did previously state the Kodjia injury may be a blessing in disguise concerning Villa being a better team without him and have seen nothing yet to sway me from that view. It has also made Bruce more concentrated and stopped him tinkering with systems.

In January Villa don't need Kodjia coming back or a like for like replacement. What is needed is a loanee of the same ilk as Davis and that now seems to be a widely accepted viewpoint.

I think Davis is starting to find the going tough and that is an observation as opposed to a criticism......as a result, even the holding up of the ball is beginning to slip a tad.

Kodjia came back and not to his prolific best, but his ball control and guile is being sorely missed Imo......Adomah has took over the baton from him to score goals, but I think Kodjia IS being missed.

Kodjia and Davis are not the same players, yet they both hold the ball up using different attributes......and Kodjia's guile is missing.

I understand, what you are saying about a forced change on the manager, but in terms of squad strength, its a massive miss for me

I actually think we need 2 front men for the squad, not sure we will get that, but when you check on our competitors , Derby have 8, Wolves and Borough have 7 respectively......we have 5.

I would favour a Target man and  wily old live wire like Defoe.

easier said than done ....I know.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Okay but let's not skim over the fact that we have lost our 2 best and most influential players.

Let's also not skim over the fact that we have had 1 fit striker for the past few weeks.

Me thinks........................."Whole lotta skimmin' goin' on":)

On 12/3/2017 at 17:19, Demitri_C said:

Take wolves main defender, central midfielder and striker and lets how they cope. Same with Cardiff and Sheffield united. Let's not forget as the others have both said grealish and Lansbury have been out most of the season. No one us making excuses just presenting facts.

Well, I have been told by multiple people in this thread that the Wolves squad is much better than ours, and their players are superior - so I guess they would do even better than we are. 

:ph34r:

Yes, we have injuries, but we are doing OK. 

You missed a couple of posts mate, I accepted that they are key losses but we are doing OK (look I even said it twice in this post)

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But would you agree we are still doing okay though?..

18 hours ago, TRO said:

I think Davis is starting to find the going tough and that is an observation as opposed to a criticism......as a result, even the holding up of the ball is beginning to slip a tad.

Kodjia came back and not to his prolific best, but his ball control and guile is being sorely missed Imo......Adomah has took over the baton from him to score goals, but I think Kodjia IS being missed.

Kodjia and Davis are not the same players, yet they both hold the ball up using different attributes......and Kodjia's guile is missing.

I understand, what you are saying about a forced change on the manager, but in terms of squad strength, its a massive miss for me

I actually think we need 2 front men for the squad, not sure we will get that, but when you check on our competitors , Derby have 8, Wolves and Borough have 7 respectively......we have 5.

I would favour a Target man and  wily old live wire like Defoe.

easier said than done ....I know.

I still feel Kodjia is too much of a Maverick to be integrated into a Bruce team to function properly. I admit that Villa are missing a fit Kodjia even should it be to give Davis a rest but when 100% would he hold the ball up as well as Davis or be as unselfish on the ball?

I also think Davis is finding it more difficult now due to the opposition targeting him. Noted against Leeds whenever he got the ball he was surrounded and continully pressed. That will happen until the end of the season as teams have identified just how important he is to the way Villa play.

Could also be affected by fatigue but he has been rested through international breaks.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, striker said:

I still feel Kodjia is too much of a Maverick to be integrated into a Bruce team to function properly. I admit that Villa are missing a fit Kodjia even should it be to give Davis a rest but when 100% would he hold the ball up as well as Davis or be as unselfish on the ball?

I also think Davis is finding it more difficult now due to the opposition targeting him. Noted against Leeds whenever he got the ball he was surrounded and continully pressed. That will happen until the end of the season as teams have identified just how important he is to the way Villa play.

Could also be affected by fatigue but he has been rested through international breaks.

I agree with this.

I think that with Kodija returning he will take a significant portion of focus from the oppo defenders, which in turn will help Davis as you mention. The question is then how do you incorporate them together in a 4-5-1, without sacrificing the midfield. I guess the obvious choice would be onomah, but does that leave us a bit lightweight in the midfield? When we've played 4-4-2 we've always looked a bit flimsy down the middle, Whelan and Jedi cannot play in a midfield pairing.

I disagree regarding the flimsy down the middle comment. I think our best football was when we played 4-4-2 this season. It was the start of our revival. I thought Davis and Kodija worked amazingly well together. It was nice to switch it up that we played one game 4-4-2 then the next 4-5-1. We only have one arrow is our quiver atm and it’s beginning to make life harder as we become more predictable.

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

I disagree regarding the flimsy down the middle comment. I think our best football was when we played 4-4-2 this season. It was the start of our revival. I thought Davis and Kodija worked amazingly well together. It was nice to switch it up that we played one game 4-4-2 then the next 4-5-1. We only have one arrow is our quiver atm and it’s beginning to make life harder as we become more predictable.

I couldn't disagree more.

We look way better in a 4-5-1

4-4-2 has it's place and we've got a few results with it this season, but generally we look poor when we play it and overrun in midfield.
I do agree it should maybe be used a bit more often to change things up, but it's hard to do it at the moment with one fit striker.

• Like 2

On 03/12/2017 at 11:20, Demitri_C said:

He is? How many promotions has allaRdyce got? One for me is a excellent championship manager the other is a solid keep you up manager no little no more.

Bad comparison in my view

They are both very poor in my opinion    and how Allardyce got the England gig and Bruce an interview for the same only goes to prove what a dearth of English top class managers there is now imo 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dave J said:

They are both very poor in my opinion    and how Allardyce got the England gig and Bruce an interview for the same only goes to prove what a dearth of English top class managers there is now imo 

You just  have to look at the current England manager to see how poor they are. Although have some talented ones coming through Howe, dyche, hughton, wilder

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You just  have to look at the current England manager to see how poor they are. Although have some talented ones coming through Howe, dyche, hughton, wilder

Agreed - I do like what Eddie Howe is trying to do and wouldn’t be surprised if at some point during his career he gets offered the job 

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Agreed but the way he is progressing it wont be long until he is a premier league manager.

Progressing? He's managed nearly 800 games! That's slower progress than my diet! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

What an absolute shower of shit that was

Standard performance, and we might get some wins playing like that - but it will also lead to frustrating results - for example, being outlayed by Millwall, who could have won 4-0.

Â