');
Demitri_C

Steve Bruce

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Open invite to watch a match @TROhouse then? I'll bring a good bottle of single malt pal, you provide nibbles :P

I moan too much when i'm on my own at home.......Grasshopper would think i was an imposter if he heard me.

I am quiet at the game, don't believe in moaning at the game it finds its way on to the field.

:(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Steve Bruce gets castigated in some quarters for saying he doesn't do tactics,  I think it was tongue in cheek BTW.

Interesting how David 'tactics'Wagner poked pre match fun at Sam 'dinosaur'Allardyce saying he normally studies the other managers possible tactics before a game, but its no point with Sam we know what he will do.

Everton 2 Huddersfield 0

Well ,perhaps there is more to this game or ours than JUST tactics......as Sam so fittingly illustrated.

seen as Big Sam is from the same stable as SB, maybe he too may have some stuff up his sleeve.

its a funny ole game.

Edited by TRO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

At the moment I think there are a number of teams looking better equipped than us for the playoffs.

Very bizarre post, for automatic possibly but plAy offs? On current form not a chance

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Very unfair on Bruce to compare him with Taylor. :)

I’m not in all honesty - although I would be happy to be part of a debate on this.

My post was simply a response to a previous post and which I am  happy to repeat that in my humble opinion Bruce has had more resource ( yes agreed largely inherited ) add to this his own signings - i then can’t see how another Villa manager outside of the top flight has ever had more resource made available to him

i will happily stand corrected by someone as I don’t know the facts - but i’ll be surprised if Lambert had the same resource whilst keeping us in the prem as long as he did ( makes you wonder - he wasn’t half as bad as made out to be) 

Edited by Dave J
Missed a word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me this is the most telling stat for how Bruce has turned us around. We have conceded the least goals in the last 15 minutes in the league. Only 1 goal! 

Think about how many years we lost points at the death of games, where we knew as a fan the opposition were going to score when we conceded a late corner, we knew heads would be down and backs would be against the wall. That does not happen anymore, and that is down to Bruce.

May not be the best football, but we are no longer a soft touch, and we are no longer losers mentally. I really wouldn't swap Bruce for anyone right now.

Yes the manager at Wolves is doing a great job, but he didn't have to raise a titanic which had been sinking for a hell of long time.

Screenshot_20171203-081243.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TRO said:

I know Steve Bruce gets castigated in some quarters for saying he doesn't do tactics,  I think it was tongue in cheek BTW.

Interesting how David 'tactics'Wagner poked pre match fun at Sam 'dinosaur'Allardyce saying he normally studies the other managers possible tactics before a game, but its no point with Sam we know what he will do.

Everton 2 Huddersfield 0

Well ,perhaps there is more to this game or ours than JUST tactics......as Sam so fittingly illustrated.

seen as Big Sam is from the same stable as SB, maybe he too may have some stuff up his sleeve.

its a funny ole game.

Steve Bruce has always been a poor man's Sam Allardyce. I personally wouldn't have an an issue with Bruce's 'style of play' if I thought he had the same quality and potential as Allardyce.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TRO said:

I know Steve Bruce gets castigated in some quarters for saying he doesn't do tactics,  I think it was tongue in cheek BTW.

Interesting how David 'tactics'Wagner poked pre match fun at Sam 'dinosaur'Allardyce saying he normally studies the other managers possible tactics before a game, but its no point with Sam we know what he will do.

Everton 2 Huddersfield 0

Well ,perhaps there is more to this game or ours than JUST tactics......as Sam so fittingly illustrated.

seen as Big Sam is from the same stable as SB, maybe he too may have some stuff up his sleeve.

its a funny ole game.

Come on TRO, that's not fair! We all know that big Sam has a tactic - HOOF! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Come on TRO, that's not fair! We all know that big Sam has a tactic - HOOF! ;)

Exactly nor would I want him any where near  VP - as for SB if he had anything up his sleeve - he would have showed his hand a long time ago, i’m Afraid he’s dogmatic, pragmatic, stoic in his style and that’s not changing any time soon.

in his defence mind - you do need these elements in certain types of football matches and I feel Friday was a case in point.

still want him gone at the end of the season come what may.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just think he lacks invention regardless of the style of play he employs. There's not much of a comparison with Allardyce in my opinion. Allardyce could go a long way with Everton. If Bruce was at Everton he would't last long.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Steve Bruce has always been a poor man's Sam Allardyce. I personally wouldn't have an an issue with Bruce's 'style of play' if I thought he had the same quality and potential as Allardyce.

 

He is? How many promotions has allaRdyce got? One for me is a excellent championship manager the other is a solid keep you up manager no little no more.

Bad comparison in my view

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, villarocker said:

Come on TRO, that's not fair! We all know that big Sam has a tactic - HOOF! ;)

After reading Wagners comments ( assuming its true of course) I thought it was poetic justice.

I also think its funny ( bearing in mind I am a dinosaur spectator now) that after every win someone usually say's " Steve Bruce got his tactics right today" almost as if nothing else really contributed to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He is? How many promotions has allaRdyce got? One for me is a excellent championship manager the other is a solid keep you up manager no little no more.

Bad comparison in my view

People lump them in the same category as old fashioned, not pretty but effective bottom half Premier League managers but I think they're a fair way apart in terms of actual quality.

Allardyce will keep you up but I also think can be more than that if given a decent opportunity. He has a higher ceiling than Bruce.

Bruce has had some success in the Championship but I wouldn't feel confident at all surviving under him in the Premier League let alone pushing on under him in the Premier League.

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

People lump them in the same category as old fashioned, not pretty but effective bottom half Premier League managers but I think they're a fair way apart in terms of actual quality.

Allardyce will keep you up but I also think can be more than that if given a decent opportunity. His ceiling is higher than Bruce's.

Bruce has had some success in the Championship but I wouldn't feel confident surviving under him in the Premier League let alone pushing on under him in the Premier League.

I think they are similar.....as for who is better......thats subjective.

It was what we needed someone with a broader experience than just the first team a " Man Maker".

What Steve Bruce does do, (which I think gets overlooked at times) is build team spirit and camaraderie in the camp.....He creates a solid foundation for everyone to work from.....He is an old fashioned manager in lieu of a coach.He builds confidence and goes for experience to help the younger players develop.He is not an advanced mind like Pepe or Jose immerse who themselves in fine detail......They are to race horses like Steve is to a cart Horse, but they both have their uses.....and in view of where we were and our field looking like a quagmire......we needed a cart horse to plough it.

When he goes he will leave this club in much better shape than when he came......and I admit there will be a time when we do need to implement the finer elements of the game, but we need to be very careful on who we appoint to do that.

Edited by TRO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TRO said:

JV If you had of been in my lounge watching the game with me......you would be surprised at the content of my posts....because i was exercising my frustration at watching us.....bawling out all our shortfalls.

I know every man and his dog.....including Steve Bruce and the coaches can see our faults.....but to keep mentioning them on a forum is tedious......we know what we are.

.I am currently watching Bristol V Middlesborough while i am typing this and Bristol city are far more comfortable on the ball, create space for themselves and have movement like Wolves, not to mention a livewire in Bobby Reid..... a type of effervescent player like Dean Saunders, which Bobby emulates.......how we could do with one of them.

I can see you are embracing slowly the concept of resilience, despite the trade off of poor offensive football.

I think SB will improve this with key players back and further investment....but the platform is developing of "not losing"

Personally, i am just looking at top 6, i still don't think we move or move the ball well enough for Auto....but equally think we will be well equipped for the playoffs.

Some fans think we have the best players.....they would do well to be a neutral and watch some of our competitors individual play and movement.

Bristols players look far more surefooted than us at present.

 

 

Our record against such sides is hardly good so I don't really see how we will be well equipped, it's generally against these sides where we get exposed for our inability to retain possession.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

He is? How many promotions has allaRdyce got? One for me is a excellent championship manager the other is a solid keep you up manager no little no more.

Bad comparison in my view

This is confusing to me, considering Allardyce has been in the Premier League most of his career?

I'll always remember the brilliant job he did with that Bolton team.

Used to watch the because of the Jamaican player at the time.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Our record against such sides is hardly good so I don't really see how we will be well equipped, it's generally against these sides where we get exposed for our inability to retain possession.

Well, we have got an ability to "grind out" results......also by then we may have the first team back.

we have half a team at present in terms of KEY players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is confusing to me, considering Allardyce has been in the Premier League most of his career?

I'll always remember the brilliant job he did with that Bolton team.

Used to watch the because of the Jamaican player at the time.

Jay-jay Okocha. I used to enjoy watching him as well and also thought Bolton were great to watch when Allardyce was managing them. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Michael118 said:

Jay-jay Okocha. I used to enjoy watching him as well and also thought Bolton were great to watch when Allardyce was managing them. 

He could thread a needle with his feet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Very bizarre post, for automatic possibly but plAy offs? On current form not a chance

Nothing bizarre about it. The way we are playing at the moment I would not be confident we would get through the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites