Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We did

He did

Where have you been for the past 5 years bud? 

I think JV's point was Bruce hasn't done that on a shoestring budget.  Or nor should he have to. You need a lot money to change a team and get them promoted and that includes wages

Net spend doesn't tell the whole story though. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

To avoid having to do it 6 months down the line and a new manager having to start all over again with his own signings etc.

And what happens if the new manager himself needs replacing 6 months down the line blah blah blah.

If Bruce gets us up he will get the first crack at it, of that i'm sure.

Did well last night. The team came out a lot more up for the fight after half time. We played really narrow which helped sideline Saiz and Alioski's influence on the game imo. Subs changed the game although we all knew at half time the change was Grealish for Onomah. The shape was so much better after half time and funnily enough we ground out a result by working together as a team and grabbed an equaliser I thought we deserved.

Draws away at Leeds and Bristol City are the sort of results we can be pretty happy with imo.

We are starting to look a bit weak at defending set pieces without Terry there. They beat us to everything in the first half and we were well off the pace. Onomah could/should have been hooked earlier. Other than that there's not much to knock him for last night. Unless anyone wants to throw in the horrible football thing again that we all know coz we have eyes 'n' that.

Been a long time since I jumped off the sofa shouting 'Yessss' (making the lovely mrs villamarv jump I might add!) at the top of my voice because we came back in a game we deserved something from. If that's an equaliser at Leeds then so be it. As others have said this side is showing resilience and character and win lose or draw we have something to believe in again. Long may it continue.

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Did well last night. The team came out a lot more up for the fight after half time. We played really narrow which helped sideline Saiz and Alioski's influence on the game imo. Subs changed the game although we all knew at half time the change was Grealish for Onomah. The shape was so much better after half time and funnily enough we ground out a result by working together as a team and grabbed an equaliser I thought we deserved.

Draws away at Leeds and Bristol City are the sort of results we can be pretty happy with imo.

We are starting to look a bit weak at defending set pieces without Terry there. They beat us to everything in the first half and we were well off the pace. Onomah could/should have been hooked earlier. Other than that there's not much to knock him for last night. Unless anyone wants to throw in the horrible football thing again that we all know coz we have eyes 'n' that.

Been a long time since I jumped off the sofa shouting 'Yessss' (making the lovely mrs villamarv jump) at the top of my because we came back in a game we deserved something from. If that's an equaliser at Leeds then so be it. As others have said this side is showing resilience and character and win lose or draw we have something to believe in again. Long may it continue.

Great post. Agree with a lot of what you've said.

I think Bruce has started to show that he can use subs wisely and has instilled a belief and fighting spirit within the team. Few people have stated that a few players are looking a bit knackered. I think Bruce is the type of manager who perhaps will try keep the same team as much as possible, which, to a certain extent I agree with but we've got strength in depth (with the exception of our strikers) so need to think about bringing in the likes of Grealish, Lansbury and O'hare for upcoming games as they come thick and fast over he festive period. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We did

He did

Where have you been for the past 5 years bud? 

I'm not referencing the past 5 years, purely the RDM / Bruce start period. I'm happy with how we are progressing as my comments re match thread and manager suggest. However,  the over exaggeration of "limited funds" is in line with my favourite Tom Fox quote "A FALSE NARRATIVE". 

I'll give the manager credit where it's due, but pretending as if he has had Sheffield United, Cardiff, Prestons, or even teams like Brighton and Huddersfield last season for example is farcical.

I'm certain in the same situation those managers would have swapped places with Bruce in the blink of an eye.

The SQUAD at his disposal is one of the reasons we have handled this injury crisis reasonably well.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Been a long time since I jumped off the sofa shouting 'Yessss' (making the lovely mrs villamarv jump I might add!) at the top of my voice  

I shouted out 4 yesses

The 2 Taylor tackles

JG‘s pull-down

Lansbury‘s Shot

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I notice people have the tendency of just ignoring the January we signed half a team, pretty much consisting of the Championships best performers.

Or even when we have signed players for free, covertly avoid the fact that it's people like JOHN **** Terry, not just any random "Free signing" whos wages and stature alone are a transfer fee.

Others are Premier League players, perhaps on lower fees, but ALSO on big wages.

As well as the fact that even though you may call a couple of them RDM buys, they include players like KODJIA.

You would think we had a horrible team and Bruce needed to buy a plethora just to fix us. Worst case, we had/have saleable assets and do BUSINESS of dealing: selling/buying just as any other club.

We already had one of the strongest , if not strongest squads in the League.

I also notice if that is acknowledged, people go to "No, but what was the NET spend".

If Man City sold Sterling, and Silva for a combined fee of 150 million, and signed Messi for 149 million their net spend would only be 1 million, and they could moan that Pep hasn't spent any money.

Just like with anything, I hate extremism with PRO Bruce side of the isle, and ANTI Bruce side of the isle.

Some of these claims and excuses are just pure nonsense.

I think there is too much emphasis on what we should be doing as opposed to what we are doing....it comes over a bit begrudging, when i know its not meant to.

i have to be honest i am dissappointed with our quality on the ball and our ability with aerial ball, I'm also miffed at the ease we allow ourselves to be closed down, all too often....but the resilience is a real plus.

In terms of strong squads.

I also think wolves have a stronger squad.....with their first 11 markedly better....they have 19 players out on loan too ....and poised to strengthen in Jan.I accept they have a good manager who wants to play a style of football that excites, undoes teams with ease and seems to avoid injuries by playing a style that avoids contact in comparison to ours.

However, they also have an advantage of a well connected scout in jorge Mendes well supported financially.....but to be fair, they have waited years for this.

we have wasted so much money in the past buying players who for one reason or another have not given us a return.....that has helped push the club backwards.

We have much to do, but some aspects are much better, but some also are still not corrected ( part of much to do)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think there is too much emphasis on what we should be doing as opposed to what we are doing....it comes over a bit begrudging, when i know its not meant to.

i have to be honest i am dissappointed with our quality on the ball and our ability with aerial ball, I'm also miffed at the ease we allow ourselves to be closed down, all too often....but the resilience is a real plus.

In terms of strong squads.

I also think wolves have a stronger squad.....with their first 11 markedly better....they have 19 players out on loan too ....and poised to strengthen in Jan.I accept they have a good manager who wants to play a style of football that excites, undoes teams with ease and seems to avoid injuries by playing a style that avoids contact in comparison to ours.

However, they also have an advantage of a well connected scout in jorge Mendes well supported financially.....but to be fair, they have waited years for this.

we have wasted so much money in the past buying players who for one reason or another have not given us a return.....that has helped push the club backwards.

We have much to do, but some aspects are much better, but some also are still not corrected ( part of much to do)

I pretty much agree with you mate, although I know the side you lean to more. ;)

You will notice the negative rhetoric has quietened down massively from both sides, however, just like in politics, people will find reasons to take unnecessary digs.

I was frustrated yesterday, but haven't been pleased with "a point" for a long time, which I was yesterday.

As many have said, that is a game we would have LOST last season.

I was extremely disappointed with us being our worst enemy at times, as usual, but all things considered, was well chuffed with the character we showed.

Again as someone else mentioned, it seems we have a steely determination and have come a long way in terms of our belief.

I can't complain too much, however myself, and others will rightly be concerned that we will fall short of our targets due to our lack of cohesion.

As long as we get where we need to, no complaints.

However if we fall short of automatic promotion, and ultimately, PROMOTION altogether, it will almost solely be down to thrown away points based on management decisions earlier in the season.

Recently, it seems, even Bruce, as well as the players have improved. Bruce is much more proactive and flexible with his changes. etc.

Long may it continue.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I pretty much agree with you mate, although I know the side you lean to more. ;)

You will notice the negative rhetoric has quietened down massively from both sides, however, just like in politics, people will find reasons to take unnecessary digs.

I was frustrated yesterday, but haven't been pleased with "a point" for a long time, which I was yesterday.

As many have said, that is a game we would have LOST last season.

I was extremely disappointed with us being our worst enemy at times, as usual, but all things considered, was well chuffed with the character we showed.

Again as someone else mentioned, it seems we have a steely determination and have come a long way in terms of our belief.

I can't complain too much, however myself, and others will rightly be concerned that we will fall short of our targets due to our lack of cohesion.

As long as we get where we need to, no complaints.

However if we fall short of automatic promotion, and ultimately, PROMOTION altogether, it will almost solely be down to thrown away points based on management decisions earlier in the season.

Recently, it seems, even Bruce, as well as the players have improved. Bruce is much more proactive and flexible with his changes. etc.

Long may it continue.

JV If you had of been in my lounge watching the game with me......you would be surprised at the content of my posts....because i was exercising my frustration at watching us.....bawling out all our shortfalls.

I know every man and his dog.....including Steve Bruce and the coaches can see our faults.....but to keep mentioning them on a forum is tedious......we know what we are.

.I am currently watching Bristol V Middlesborough while i am typing this and Bristol city are far more comfortable on the ball, create space for themselves and have movement like Wolves, not to mention a livewire in Bobby Reid..... a type of effervescent player like Dean Saunders, which Bobby emulates.......how we could do with one of them.

I can see you are embracing slowly the concept of resilience, despite the trade off of poor offensive football.

I think SB will improve this with key players back and further investment....but the platform is developing of "not losing"

Personally, i am just looking at top 6, i still don't think we move or move the ball well enough for Auto....but equally think we will be well equipped for the playoffs.

Some fans think we have the best players.....they would do well to be a neutral and watch some of our competitors individual play and movement.

Bristols players look far more surefooted than us at present.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

JV If you had of been in my lounge watching the game with me......you would be surprised at the content of my posts....because i was exercising my frustration at watching us.....bawling out all our shortfalls.

I know every man and his dog.....including Steve Bruce and the coaches can see our faults.....but to keep mentioning them on a forum is tedious......we know what we are.

.I am currently watching Bristol V Middlesborough while i am typing this and Bristol city are far more comfortable on the ball, create space for themselves and have movement like Wolves, not to mention a livewire in Bobby Reid..... a type of effervescent player like Dean Saunders, which Bobby emulates.......how we could do with one of them.

I can see you are embracing slowly the concept of resilience, despite the trade off of poor offensive football.

I think SB will improve this with key players back and further investment....but the platform is developing of "not losing"

Personally, i am just looking at top 6, i still don't think we move or move the ball well enough for Auto....but equally think we will be well equipped for the playoffs.

Some fans think we have the best players.....they would do well to be a neutral and watch some of our competitors individual play and movement.

Been so busy totally forgot about todays games, some decent looking results for us so far...

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

What is it that players from other teams are being managed/coached/instructed/setup to do which seems evident in their play and absent in ours?

At which point do we stop watching what others do and start doing it ourselves?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, briny_ear said:

The financing of football and the pattern of ownership of clubs is so different now compared with the last time we were outside the top flight that this comparison is surely spurious?

Why is it ? You either have a lot of resource or you don’t.

i was there last time around and I don’t think GT had more resource pound for pound than Bruce has at his disposal imo 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Why is it ? You either have a lot of resource or you don’t.

i was there last time around and I don’t think GT had more resource pound for pound than Bruce has at his disposal imo 

Very unfair on Bruce to compare him with Taylor. :)

1 hour ago, TRO said:

At the moment I think there are a number of teams looking better equipped than us for the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

At the moment I think there are a number of teams looking better equipped than us for the playoffs.

I disagree. I think teams are starting to fear us. We are no longer a soft touch. In the past Leeds would've really pushed on once they scored. Second half, it was them who sat back, scared of losing to us.

There is obviously a long way to go, but if the play offs were the next few weeks I'd be pretty confident of getting a result. 

Bruce and his coaching staff have installed a mentality within the players, never say die. Deserves a lot of credit 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

What is it that players from other teams are being managed/coached/instructed/setup to do which seems evident in their play and absent in ours?

At which point do we stop watching what others do and start doing it ourselves?

Does it need a coach to tell a professional football player( who in some cases are qualified to coach themselves) to pass and move or win an aerial challenge or execute a first touch of the ball or run with the ball with composure.

We all know coaching is necessary GH to create cohesion and togetherness, but some of the shortfalls are individual.

We don't have a forward currently fit who can show urgency and intensity in the final third.....who can confuse defenders with runs and movement.

How can we can fix that?

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I disagree. I think teams are starting to fear us. We are no longer a soft touch. In the past Leeds would've really pushed on once they scored. Second half, it was them who sat back, scared of losing to us.

There is obviously a long way to go, but if the play offs were the next few weeks I'd be pretty confident of getting a result. 

Bruce and his coaching staff have installed a mentality within the players, never say die. Deserves a lot of credit 

I agree with your opinion about the play offs.....i think our style, (despite my hang ups on our quality)Will serve us well.

I Believe going in to the playoffs, we will be strong......we just have to get there and i think we will.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

JV If you had of been in my lounge watching the game with me....m

Open invite to watch a match @TROhouse then? I'll bring a good bottle of single malt pal, you provide nibbles :P

Â