Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

So what was di matteos excuse? How many wins did we have from the start of the relegation year to point of di matteo being sacked?

It might have been a weaker league but the circumstances were equally as tough

And that’s one of my questions. RDM was not excused, he was sacked.  So why was SB excused for so long?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

When we went into Div 3 for 2 years on the trot (a total of 8 years OUTSIDE of the top Division) we were in the same position really. 

We've always had weight, because we've always had big stadiums etc.  which held as much weight now as PL TV money. 

So no, he's still wrong. 

Nah, I'm right.

You're wrong.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

And that’s one of my questions. RDM was not excused, he was sacked.  So why was SB excused for so long?

Because he was sorting RDM's(TS, RG, PL, AMcL's) piles of shi ite out? And a good job he was excused wouldn't you agree...as we're doing quite well now aren't we?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Because he was sorting RDM's(TS, RG, PL, AMcL's) piles of shi ite out? And a good job he was excused wouldn't you agree...as we're doing quite well now aren't we?

Well... was RDM not sorting out TS, RG, PL AMcL's mess? Round and round we go.

Don't forget Bruce had that run of form after Xmas first season...

image.png.7353749c935a1419ed78aa5535be795f.png

But, it's OK, with a full pre-season he then started this season like this.

image.png.07b96d1f8e65b650633f1b02b51bbda5.png

All that serving up vile football,  with our POTY Adomah out the squad.

He's been given big leeway and looks to be turning it round which is good.

Hopefully our football can continue to become a better to watch as well - this crazy form can't continue without dominating more games like Ipswich.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Yes, of course. 

I'm sure we did at some points, I wonder if we had the equal ability we do now all those occassions. The resources to sign a £14 million striker to sit on the bench. The ability to attract someone like John Terry or be allowed to loan someone like Onomah. And if we did then that's the comparison to make, he has the best winning % of managers who managed us in lower leagues, the tweet mentioned about villa history, which IMO is a nonsense statement to make due to the variables mentioned. 

45 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm sure we did at some points, I wonder if we had the equal ability we do now all those occassions. The resources to sign a £14 million striker to sit on the bench. The ability to attract someone like John Terry or be allowed to loan someone like Onomah. And if we did then that's the comparison to make, he has the best winning % of managers who managed us in lower leagues, the tweet mentioned about villa history, which IMO is a nonsense statement to make due to the variables mentioned. 

Well you can dismiss that nonsense alls you like, but if it's true, then it's true.

I haven't checked.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I agree you can make a case he is the best manager in history in the second division based on those stats. But it ends there. 

Plus if he doesn't get us promoted it's irrelevant anyway. 

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Because Bruce is proven and has more impressive cv at this level than rdm. Furthermore he mad to sort out the horror show of shit that was di matters era here.

i still maintain di Mattel is one of our wirst ever managers. Spent a fortune at a lower level and one a pathetic one league game

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Because, I assume, those making those decisions believed that, despite the relatively poor second half to last season, and the shakey start this season, Bruce was turning things round.

And it's looking like they were right.

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Because Bruce is proven and has more impressive cv at this level than rdm. Furthermore he mad to sort out the horror show of shit that was di matters era here.

i still maintain di Mattel is one of our wirst ever managers. Spent a fortune at a lower level and one a pathetic one league game

Dem, even by your standards that post resembles a bowl of Alphabetti Spaghetti!  :crylaugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As for the win percentage thing, i wish people would stop trying to use it so specifically.

You can't use it to compare him to every other manager ever. Comparing win percentages across leagues and eras doesn't work. Too many variables.

but neither can you dismiss it as meaningless. It's still impressive to have one that high, and shows he's (finally) doing a decent job. If he keeps that sort of win percentage up then we should go up. That's the important thing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RimmyJimmer said:

and RDM was sorting out the Lerner fiasco.....

and SB is doing fine for the last few months.  for his first 11, he was not impressive to me or very many others.  

finally, I don't know if it was good he was excused.  Right now we're doing well, but we have seen false dawns before.  I will as I have said multiple times ALWAYS think that another manager could have gotten us performing better much more quickly than SB has.  

All that said - I, like you, am enjoying the current win streak, long may it continue.

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

If I recall correctly, Tony Xia gave a pretty direct hint RDM  went because he didn’t show he had the fight to get us out of the poor form we were suffering. 

By implication, Bruce was judged to possess  that strength.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Because these things take time.....which is alarmingly obvious (Imo)and you have to find a way of buying yourself that time....its what gradual progress is.

• RDM failed to buy himself that time( more observation than criticism)
  • SB succeeded to buy himself that time( albeit not without peaks and troughs)
  • He secured the benefit of the doubt.

we are not there yet....but thats my view.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Considering that just over a year ago we were breaking records for longest runs without winning, poorest away record etc, I would say if Bruce gets a couple of the records mentioned over the page he will deserve one heck of a pat on the back, regardless of whether one ranks him Number 1, 2, 3, or whatever....money or no money.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, terrytini said:

I would say if Bruce gets a couple of the records mentioned over the page he will deserve one heck of a pat on the back, regardless of whether one ranks him Number 1, 2, 3, or whatever....money or no money.

I'm not a Bruce fan but he would definitely deserve some Kudos for the current run of good form. However he needs to sustain it. We can't go on a bad run where we get 3 or 4 points from 12/15 available. We need to be consistent between now and the end of the season and any losses are just unexpected blips along the way.

17 hours ago, sne said:

Pretty sure he was referring to us being in such a strong financial position compared to other clubs in the division rather than to us never having played in the lower divisions before?

Even so, it's not as though we're head and shoulders above the rest, Wolves have had significant investment, Middlesboro/Sunderland etc will be receiving sizeable parachute payments.

We also made a significant amount of money this summer, not spent it, yes he spent a fair bit in January but extended over 2 transfer windows it's not as though he's spent a ridiculous amount.

It isn't fair to throw in the signings made under RDM as half of those have flopped which has had nothing to do with SB.

Anyway, balls to it, can't be arsed any more, doesn't matter what stats, facts or opinions are put up about SB as there will always be the usual suspects ready to pounce with something negative to try and counter it.

Â