Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

10 hours ago, TRO said:

When we started the game there was nothing wrong with the set up., with the exception of playing injured players.....but players have to do their jobs.....and they didn't.

You blame the players, I blame the manager.  

“Nothing wrong with the set-up?”   For me the way the team is set up includes tactics, fitness, motivation, formation and selection and Bruce doesn’t make the best of the huge resources available to him

Are you still confident that we are in safe hands and on course for promotion - I’m not!!

• Like 1

Yesterdays result has to rest on SB.

Quite a few of the players picked were playing their 3rd game in 7 days and it was evident they were not fit enough to play.

It was also evident that snodgrass should not have been in the squad.  He was huffing badly after about 5 minutes.

Add to that that Weds are a good side and we struggle with 4 in midfield against good sides (a point sb has also mentioned himself a number of times) tells me the setup from the start was poor.

Obviously no accounting for the 1st goal or JTs injury, but i think we all knew having samba as our only backup cb was a bad idea and so it proved today.  This one also rests on sb for me.  Should have kept baker.

Another area that needed attention in the closed season was in attack. I think we all knew it wasnt going to happen for mccormack and with kodjia injured it was uncertain whether he would be the same player when he came back leaving only hogan as our senior recognised striker (think we can all agree gabby is done).  Not adding depth given the circumstances was another error in judgement from sb for me.

When we could have rotated elmo for de laet or bree, whelan for jedi, snodgrass for grealish, hourihane for ohare, and any number of other permutations i find it odd that either he couldnt tell players were tired or chose to ignore it and risk a poor display and injury.

All down to sb for me.  Hopefully we can start winning again after the break

• Like 3

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

Yesterdays result has to rest on SB.

Quite a few of the players picked were playing their 3rd game in 7 days and it was evident they were not fit enough to play.

It was also evident that snodgrass should not have been in the squad.  He was huffing badly after about 5 minutes.

Add to that that Weds are a good side and we struggle with 4 in midfield against good sides (a point sb has also mentioned himself a number of times) tells me the setup from the start was poor.

Obviously no accounting for the 1st goal or JTs injury, but i think we all knew having samba as our only backup cb was a bad idea and so it proved today.  This one also rests on sb for me.  Should have kept baker.

Another area that needed attention in the closed season was in attack. I think we all knew it wasnt going to happen for mccormack and with kodjia injured it was uncertain whether he would be the same player when he came back leaving only hogan as our senior recognised striker (think we can all agree gabby is done).  Not adding depth given the circumstances was another error in judgement from sb for me.

When we could have rotated elmo for de laet or bree, whelan for jedi, snodgrass for grealish, hourihane for ohare, and any number of other permutations i find it odd that either he couldnt tell players were tired or chose to ignore it and risk a poor display and injury.

All down to sb for me.  Hopefully we can start winning again after the break

I was happy with the starting line up , many had been crying out for hogan to have a chance alongside Davis but I think the first goal really knocked the stuffing out of us - we need to put this game behind us and move on against qpr - the better team won yesterday and we didn’t perform first half having got caught cold in the first minute .

i don’t really put the blame on Bruce yesterday - it was just one of those days when we didn’t perform .

12 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I was happy with the starting line up , many had been crying out for hogan to have a chance alongside Davis but I think the first goal really knocked the stuffing out of us - we need to put this game behind us and move on against qpr - the better team won yesterday and we didn’t perform first half having got caught cold in the first minute .

i don’t really put the blame on Bruce yesterday - it was just one of those days when we didn’t perform .

Some had asked for Hogan to play up alongside Davis but it should have been tried against the right opposition 

Bruce also had the chance to rotate the squad and maintain overall fitness - any of Bree, Taylor, De Laet, O’Hare and Grealish could have been bought in

The result and in a large part the injuries rest in the main with Bruce ( certainly if we had won he would have been given the credit)

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We have, unfortunately, had too many of those days.

Hopefully that's the end of 4-4-2. 

I hate the opinion that it's a "more attacking" formation.

If you can't create any chances then it's hardly more attacking. We've always struggled playing 4-4-2 and always look so much better with 3 in midfield. Having a player behind the striker to link midfield and attack is essential for us imo.

We should have kept the team the same as Preston but replaced Onomah for O'hare or Grealish. 

I wouldn't be against changing to 4-4-2 around  the 70 minute mark if the game isn't going our way and we need to take a risk. But we should start each game 4-5-1. It suits Adomah much better too and he is crucial to us.

If we had 5 in midfield that worldie they scored doesn't happen imo. Would be a body there to clean up.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Just to touch on squad rotation.

I remember Bruce stating a few games ago that he should have rested the younger players as they had looked tired and he blamed himself for that. The same should apply to all of the players yesterday when there was decent replacements available to freshen things up.

This was a major worry for me (mentioned this previously) that due to the constant lose of possession and the way Bruce was setting the team up to compensate for that, the Villa players would start to suffer badly from fatigue and it would have a long term affect.

Bruce has also said recently that the Championship was only starting now with a long winter ahead but he felt he had the squad to deal with it. Well the team wasn’t rotated yesterday after two tough games in a week so I guess Bruce must take part of the blame for that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

What don’t you understand?

you were suggesting we shouldn’t be sitting back playing counter attacking football like we do under Bruce. 

Bobzy sarcastically pointed out that counter attacking football won Leicester the Premier League. 

You missed the sarcasm and appear to agree that counter attacking football is the way to go. 

What have I missed?

On a day when most of us feel pretty hacked off at the result and the injury to JT- thanks for such an insightful post.

15 hours ago, TRO said:

I think you are bang on, with the movement.....i think it is a major problem for us.

The formation is/ was fine.....but there is no legislation for too many players having a poor day together.

There are times individuals are just not good enough.

Totally agree, I cannot understand what the coaches are doing at BMH everyday. Its not just been under the current manager either.

18 hours ago, KHV said:

He **** up today. 

Taking a man from the middle of the park and playing Hogan was idiotic

Eveeyone was screaming for hogan to play alongside davis he did and was a disaster.  Clearly dont work 

I think we missed kodjia yesterday badly. But i blame a lotbof that defeat to fatigue

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Eveeyone was screaming for hogan to play alongside davis he did and was a disaster.  Clearly dont work 

I think we missed kodjia yesterday badly. But i blame a lotbof that defeat to fatigue

I don't think everyone was. 

And even if they were, that's not really a valid reason to excuse a managerial decision.

The refusal to place blame on Bruce is baffling to me.  Having said that, while there is plenty of blame he should shoulder for the s Wednesday match, it’s also one for which there are several big contributors to the result that are actually not his fault.   

Those with lots of hope for his ability to get us promoted are likely to focus on those things that aren’t his fault (first goal, JT injury).  Those with little hope he will get us promoted will focus on those things that are his fault, (not resting those that were too tired to be effective, leaving the midfield too open).  There is some truth in both.  

Peraonally, I am not inclined to have much hope in him, but I think this match has many fewer clear examples of why I feel that way than most.   

Edited by srsmithusa
Word
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I can honestly say that I was not screaming for Hogan to play alongside Davis. In fact, I'm not screaming for him to play alongside anyone at our club.

7 hours ago, VillaCas said:

You blame the players, I blame the manager.  

“Nothing wrong with the set-up?”   For me the way the team is set up includes tactics, fitness, motivation, formation and selection and Bruce doesn’t make the best of the huge resources available to him

Are you still confident that we are in safe hands and on course for promotion - I’m not!!

No,no,no....I blame both, they are in it together.....what I am saying its not All wholly and soley manager in a direct sense.

I accept that he is responsible for the football side of things, but when they cross the white line, there are things that he cannot be directly responsible for, the players must take that.

I hope i have been able to make my position clear.

However, Sheff Wed and their manager collectively did well yesterday.

Â