Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

It's laughable it really is.

We spent upwards of 50 million quid that season i very much think our ambition was to get promoted, he was basically appointed as a short term solution to get the club up that season and he failed miserably.

7 months on and we have not improved at all and because of this he should be sacked... It isn't rocket science.

I think we can all agree that Bruce is not the long term solution.

if were stuck down here for years to come which is looking probable thanks to the naivety shown by members of our board then we should give a younger manager with tactical nouse and a clear footballing style a chance to build.

i've had enough of this kick and rush shit which is failing to get the best out of the players and i'm sure Hogan agrees.

This.

As much as im in the Bruce in camp, I cant argue that he stitches himself up with comments like last year was about staying in the division. It wasnt the case at all BUT there was never much chance of much more - maybe sneaking playoffs at a push. I still maintain that had we gone up last year we would be right in the shit in the prem as we simply were not ready for it. 

I know its not the status quo for this page but I think we need to keep him for the time being. He has the players he wanted, big game players are coming back, there is competition for each and every position, he has had 2 transfer windows and a pre season. We are reaching the nadir of his reign and a couple of months more could get us rolling into a footballing behemoth. Its unfortunate for him that he has expended all of his goodwill already and is probably only ever two games from the bullet.

Aston Villa are the proof that once a club hits a certain level of dysfunctionality, throwing money at it will not solve the problem, only time, patience restructuring and rebuilding from the ground up.

We are not the first and wont be the last to come down and struggle - see Portsmouth, Leeds, Blues, Sunderland, Derby etc. As much as some dont want it in the short term, this guy can get teams winning and has done with worse squads than ours

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mattjpa said:

Aston Villa are the proof that once a club hits a certain level of dysfunctionality, throwing money at it will not solve the problem, only time, patience restructuring and rebuilding from the ground up.

We are not the first and wont be the last to come down and struggle - see Portsmouth, Leeds, Blues, Sunderland, Derby etc. As much as some dont want it in the short term, this guy can get teams winning and has done with worse squads than ours

Looks like board feel the same way so we'll just see what their MASSIVE gamble will bring. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, mattjpa said:

What over the last 11 months have you seen to suggest that Bruce is capable of leading this team to promotion?

6 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

We ARE a big club. It does not mean we have a right to anything, that will have to be earned, but, you can re-write history, but you cannot change it.

We simply are what we are, a big club, fallen on hard times. We need a bit more attitude down in this division.

We are the biggest club in this division - we are however no longer one of the biggest clubs in England .

leeds ; Sunderland wolves probably see themselves as big clubs too but none of us have won  anything of note in the last 20 years.

No question we are one of the biggest 8 clubs in the country for me ; but the money in the game now has left us miles adrift of the champions league clubs .

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

It's laughable it really is.

We spent upwards of 50 million quid that season i very much think our ambition was to get promoted, he was basically appointed as a short term solution to get the club up that season and he failed miserably.

7 months on and we have not improved at all and because of this he should be sacked... It isn't rocket science.

I think we can all agree that Bruce is not the long term solution.

if were stuck down here for years to come which is looking probable thanks to the naivety shown by members of our board then we should give a younger manager with tactical nouse and a clear footballing style a chance to build.

i've had enough of this kick and rush shit which is failing to get the best out of the players and i'm sure Hogan agrees.

I think that is a very contentious line in fact I can recall a eminent poster on here saying on his appointment  "He will perform a miracle if he keeps us up" so it was not universally accepted that promotion was feasible,far from it.....for me I just want the rot of not winning and conceding stopped.......and he did it to a degree.

I don't remember any reference from the club intimating that it is expected to be a short term appointment.....how could they, he could have won every game.

I also think the not improved is another contentious issue....some things have, some things clearly haven't.

If we fail to go on a run and propel ourselves up the league, I think it is fair to say you maybe right....its questionable whether he is the long term solution in those circumstances.

I think the board have acted in Good Faith and that Steve Bruce was a sensible appointment given the state of the club/team when he arrived.......However, Hindsight is an exact science and we are ALL wiser for it.

I think you make a reasonable point about kick and rush shit and no discerning fans wants to see too much of it, it happens at times, but should not happen consistently to a club with our ambition.

Its clear you have no favour for the man and thats your prerogative.....But positivity as difficult as it is to muster sometimes....is actually contagious and can have an overall affect.

VTID

Edited by TRO

I have seriously had enough of him. In the unlikely event of promotion he will no doubt be lauding what such a difficult job he had, and what a marvellous job he has done given such 'horrendous' circumstances.

If we somehow get up, I would sack him the day after promotion tbh. Thanks. bye

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I have seriously had enough of him. In the unlikely event of promotion he will no doubt be lauding what such a difficult job he had, and what a marvellous job he has done given such 'horrendous' circumstances.

If we somehow get up, I would sack him the day after promotion tbh. Thanks. bye

Or Dr x could take to the pitch with a mic and sack him during the post match celebrations ;) and have Rafa jumping out of a cake to replace him :)

Edited by Eastie

18 minutes ago, terrytini said:

At last Bruce says something I can agree with.

Having spent a year saying his selection, tactics, and style are all about a fear of losing I finally hear him admitting it.

What further reason does Tony need to get rid ? What a waste of everybody's time, support, patience and money.

but Terry, John Gregory came out with it too in an interview......what do you fear most John " Losing" he said

Nothing wrong in what you have said, but it does comes across a bit like " Gaslighting"

kick out him for results, yes.....but hey.

Edited by TRO
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Or Dr x could take to the pitch with a mic and sack him during the post match celebrations ;) and have Rafa jumping out of a cake to replace him :)

Crumbs, what a scenario.

25 minutes ago, mattjpa said:

As much as im in the Bruce in camp, I cant argue that he stitches himself up with comments like last year was about staying in the division. It wasnt the case at all BUT there was never much chance of much more - maybe sneaking playoffs at a push. I still maintain that had we gone up last year we would be right in the shit in the prem as we simply were not ready for it. 

I know its not the status quo for this page but I think we need to keep him for the time being. He has the players he wanted, big game players are coming back, there is competition for each and every position, he has had 2 transfer windows and a pre season. We are reaching the nadir of his reign and a couple of months more could get us rolling into a footballing behemoth. Its unfortunate for him that he has expended all of his goodwill already and is probably only ever two games from the bullet.

Wow! Can I have some of what you are smoking please?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

but Terry, John Gregory came out with it too in an interview......what do you fear most John " Losing" he said

Nothing wrong in what you have said, but it does comes across a bit like " Gaslighting"

kick out him for results, yes.....but hey.

Sorry TRO I've said over and over again everything Bruce has done has been geared to an overly defensive mindset totally unsuited to the players we had and totally unnecessarily.

Ive said over and over he sets us up way too defensively and that it's the cause of most of our problems.

And incidentally you disagreed every time that it was anything to do with it.

Now he has come out and said so.

So my criticism of him has been based on pure footballing terms, not personal, and he has now come out and basically said so.

And you find something in that to have a go at ME for !!!???

Astonishing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

BeSides his comment the aim was staying in the division last season

It is yet another false statement from Soundbite Steve. I don't think he realises the internet stores info and his words are there to be found.

---------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37646701

"It feels like the season's starting all over again," says Villa CEO Wyness.

Teams have come back from further back than Villa to win promotion, and starting with two derby games in his first four matches - against Wolves on Saturday and Birmingham at St Andrew's on 30 October - Bruce shares that feeling of optimism, in spite of their league position.

Previous boss Roberto di Matteo was scoffed at for saying they could still make the play-offs shortly before his departure but Bruce, with his promotion-winning record, is speaking from experience.

"If I'd don't think I couldn't do it, I wouldn't be here," he added.

"There's no honeymoon period. We've got 35 games to go. That's a lot of time to do something.

"When I came to Birmingham in 2001, we were 15th at Christmas and still got up via the play offs.

"

Edited by Dick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â