Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He could probably murder somebody and he would still be the good guy

Paul mitchell?😀

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Hmm, not quite. There's a 20+ year body of evidence for Bruce, not least the fact that he's about to get sued by Wednesday for what he just did. It's pretty cut and dry.

For Rapinoe, who nobody even knew about before this summer, it's literally because of outdated and bigoted views on how people should carry themselves. Dancing or having pink hair doesn't make someome a word removed, at least it shouldn't in the 21st century. Walking out on 7 out of 10 clubs leaving some of them in the shit or slagging off your fans do. Also I didn't bring up her scoring record or her trophy count or something to contest this notion either. 

By all means, contest the idea that what Bruce did wasn't dickish. So far the only arguments I've seen are "any other manager would have done it" or "every manager 'walks out' on clubs when they leave" suggesting that the defence of him is just out of reflex at this point. But I don't want to be talking about his transfer record from 2017 or some shit. It's completely irrelevant.

I've literally called what Bruce did a "dick move".

As for Rapinoe, being female doesn't make her immune to criticism. Her being female is irrelevant, why is criticising a woman bigoted and sexist? I suppose that makes the Pogba and Lingaard critics racist.

On 20/07/2019 at 09:01, RimmyJimmer said:

Mmm....O'leary anyone?

I don't get this continued debate about bruce. As I see it, he was EXACTLY the right man at the right time for us, made us difficult to beat, sorted the attitudes out of a few and simplified things on the pitch. 

I think we all knew his limitations and that he wouldn't be in it for the long term, be it being sacked or jumping into bed with another team. He was the link between where we were and where we are now. It's difficult to predict but I personally doubt whether dean smith could have done the job bruce did AT THAT TIME.

I don't get the personal anger with him by a few....I actually quite liked him sniping back at some fans, why should he take that level of personal abuse? 

Anyhow, he's with someone else now and we've found someone better.

i agree. problem is football fans are so used to abuse being in one direction that they dont like getting it back (not that he in any way abused us, and actually he was quite diplomatic when he did bite back)

i also doubt smith could have done the job bruce did initially and also don't think he could have put a squad together on his own last summer in such a short time frame. but i also doubt...no, i'm certain, bruce would never have won 10 on the bounce, or stuffed the likes of boro and derby away. i consider 2018/2019 a team effort between the two. he was dismissed at the right time, but had set up a good core of a side that, with some sensible january additions, someone like smith was able to take over and finish the job.

• Like 3

On 20/07/2019 at 09:01, RimmyJimmer said:

I don't get the personal anger with him by a few....I actually quite liked him sniping back at some fans, why should he take that level of personal abuse? 

Bruce has a job at us "thin skinned and sensitive".

Some of our fans spend 100 pages ranting about how he's "insulted" them. Yeah, he's the thin skinned, sensitive, one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I've literally called what Bruce did a "dick move".

As for Rapinoe, being female doesn't make her immune to criticism. Her being female is irrelevant, why is criticising a woman bigoted and sexist? I suppose that makes the Pogba and Lingaard critics racist.

Then I wasn't talking about you specifically. But this thread has rambled on for a dozen pages because people had the temerity to criticize Bruce's conduct in this situation. It's tiresome.

Also I've made similar comments on Pogba and Lingaard. Criticizing someone for dancing or eccentric hairstyles is the dumbest thing ever. I don't want to open a can of worms and go down another rabbit hole so I'll leave it at that. Might be one for an off topic thread.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i agree. problem is football fans are so used to abuse being in one direction that they dont like getting it back (not that he in any way abused us, and actually he was quite diplomatic when he did bite back)

i also doubt smith could have done the job bruce did initially and also don't think he could have put a squad together on his own last summer in such a short time frame. but i also doubt...no, i'm certain, bruce would never have won 10 on the bounce, or stuffed the likes of boro and derby away. i consider 2018/2019 a team effort between the two. he was dismissed at the right time, but had set up a good core of a side that, with some sensible january additions, someone like smith was able to take over and finish the job.

good post that and accurate imv.

I don't think it is helpful in comparing the 2 different periods as you allude to......different circumstances.

Folk did get fed up with the cautious style in the end me included and I think  that frustrated the hell out of them.....The final epitomised it and some never forgave him, however when he went Purslow was right.

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i'm certain, bruce would never have won 10 on the bounce, or stuffed the likes of boro and derby away. i consider 2018/2019 a team effort between the two. he was dismissed at the right time, but had set up a good core of a side that, with some sensible january additions, someone like smith was able to take over and finish the job.

Yeah, this. Bruce was (IMO, and I said it before he was appointed) never going to get us up, but he did turn the club around, set up the character of the side, stop the losing mentality, get togetherness and all that. It was just that the coaching was....staid and stodgy at a time when staid and stodgy doesn't work any more. Relying on "give it to Jack (or whoever) to win games was never going to work, with the rest of the side being essentially there to "keep it tight". Being on the front foot in the championship is now necessary for promotion. That meant Dean Smith (or someone similar) had to come in to get us up, but he did have the start of a decent side, and then with the changes in January was able to progress the team to play better football, to always look like scoring.

Next season, it'll be different. We won't be challenging for the title. About 7 teams will be way ahead of what we could get to and are already nailed on for top 10. Then it's everyone else. 3 out of 10 to 12 are going to be fighting to stay up. We just need to be out of the quarter or third of those that will go down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

He got us within a fag paper of going up, even when we were totally shit in the final we only got done by 1 goal

He did. And he stabilised us, so I agree he wasn't all bad, but if he had got us up, we weren't built to last and never would have been. 

Edit: I was always positive about him and wanted to support him as manager, but with hindsight I was wrong. There were better options, as Dean Smith demonstrated.

Edited by Frobisher

13 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Newcastle won't go down. Bruce is the sort of manager who will shut up shop and get just enough out of the team 

Nah...  Pretty sure they'll be "there or thereabouts"...  🤣

13 hours ago, Genie said:

He got us within a fag paper of going up, even when we were totally shit in the final we only got done by 1 goal

I think people forget who we played that day, too.

It was a bit like us this season. Sessegnon was on fire, Mitrovic scoring for fun, togetherness, momentum. As soon as they beat Derby in the semi's, I had resigned myself to watching us in the Championship for another season. Then this season, I just didn't see us not going up as soon as we beat Albion.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Frobisher said:

He did. And he stabilised us, so I agree he wasn't all bad, but if he had got us up, we weren't built to last and never would have been. 

Edit: I was always positive about him and wanted to support him as manager, but with hindsight I was wrong. There were better options, as Dean Smith demonstrated.

He did stabilise us, and then ruined that. So that initial stabilisation means **** all. 

"Every cloud has a silver lining"..... is the perfect description of our recent fate.

Is it not beyond the realms of reasonability that we can't find some positivity to bestow on our previous manager.....Aston Villa fans are generally fair minded folk and call a spade a spade.

We have had some horror stories in the past, Steve Bruce for me, put back some respectability after 3 wins in a season of total and utter embarrassment and the laughing stock that became us.

Dean has much more to do, but his work so far does suggest he is far more rounded and progressive than Steve Bruce and has the humility to unite the fanbase, players and hierarchy alike....but i would wager Dean himself would have been grateful for a John McGinn and a Jack Grealish legacy.

For me, I see Dean as Phase 2 from SB being phase 1

The future is landscaped and sculptured from the past, the successes are carved out of the set backs, its all part of the rebuild....The cake is not all about the cherry on the top.

Looking forward to our future.

UTV

Edited by TRO

4. Steve Bruce

Bruce did okay at Sunderland. He definitely didn’t do as brilliantly as he claims he did, but he delivered one of the club’s better Premier League teams.

He’ll tell anyone who’ll listen that ‘his roots’ as a boyhood Newcastle fan were what made Sunderland fans turn on him, but the only person who made that an issue was him – and only when he needed a self-serving excuse when his team started to badly fail.

at least some parts of the media have copped on to his tricks

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/ranking-sunderlands-10-least-worst-managers-of-the-premier-league-era/

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think people forget who we played that day, too.

It was a bit like us this season. Sessegnon was on fire, Mitrovic scoring for fun, togetherness, momentum. As soon as they beat Derby in the semi's, I had resigned myself to watching us in the Championship for another season. Then this season, I just didn't see us not going up as soon as we beat Albion.

I was already resigned to a loss against Fulham because I knew how we were going to set up. We still might have lost if we played them with Dean Smith's style for example, because as you say they were just on fire. For comparison, Frank Lampard's Derby might have beat us on another day. They went for it and came up short on the day. We could have played that final against Fulham 100 times in that way and we would have still lost. But it was a blessing in disguise so as they say, I ain't mad.

Â