Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I must be one of the last ones to break, but I’ve had enough now. I was indifferent to him being here and was willing to see how the season plays out, but it’s just too boring and frustrating to watch. 

I can see what Bruce is trying to do (I think), but it’s just not working. I’m starting to wonder whether the players have no belief in what he’s asking them to do. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

What bothers me is the way Bruce keeps talking about change disrupting things and that a period of steadiness is needed. Board and ownership change should not affect the players. You go into work and train to play football matches, getting paid accordingly regardless of whoever pays your wages. 

Regarding player changes, is he saying that all those promotions were gained with teams that had no player changes from the previous season? Take a look at Hull City's wiki page for the 2012-2013 season. Bruce took over and brought in the coaching staff of Steve Agnew, Keith Berchin and Stephen Clemence - sound familiar? He signed a keeper on loan from Man United - sound familiar? Signed Elmohamady - sound familiar? 

I think he's trying his tried and tested way of doing things but it simply isn't working, for whatever reason, and now he's run out of ideas. Let's face it, he only got us to the play-offs last season because he was forced into throwing Davis up front and Albert came in on the left wing - after originally being dropped - and scored goals for fun from there. It was something enforced on him and it worked. It's stopped working because Adomah isn't performing well. Maybe Kodjia should play wide left and we can get back to those results that took us up the league last season? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I must be one of the last ones to break, but I’ve had enough now. I was indifferent to him being here and was willing to see how the season plays out, but it’s just too boring and frustrating to watch. 

I can see what Bruce is trying to do (I think), but it’s just not working. I’m starting to wonder whether the players have no belief in what he’s asking them to do. 

Please enlighten us as to what Bruce is trying to do because I can't see what he is trying to do atall. 

No game plan, no tactics, no discernible approach whatsoever. 

What does he do all week for all the money we pay him? We have to get a proper Manager in that is relevant in 2018. 

• Like 1

It's obvious with the front line we now have and us still playing defensive football, tells me he is waiting to go. It's just playing safe, not losing, an waiting for the pay off. He must know he is on his way. His thinking may be, there is no need to develop a new plan with these players, as his tenure is coming to an end.

5 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Please enlighten us as to what Bruce is trying to do because I can't see what he is trying to do atall. 

No game plan, no tactics, no discernible approach whatsoever. 

What does he do all week for all the money we pay him? We have to get a proper Manager in that is relevant in 2018. 

It’s further back in this thread (probably around last week or so). I can’t be arsed to find it or type it again. I don’t agree that there’s no approach or game plan. There is, but we’re just not effective at what we’re trying to do and I don’t think the players believe in it either. 

1 minute ago, sne said:

"We've lost once in seven games and all of a sudden there's a crisis swirling."

How many wins in those 7 games Bruce, and who did we face?

Was thinking of this myself. although some of the Villa fans in the pub I was in was saying the same to me. I thought the game was shite, they were saying it was a good result, an shows the team are still with Bruce??

As KRM above was saying, where is his passion in the interviews, why does he not come out and say something like "We are working very hard in training to bond the new squad, results will come as we obviously have some of the best players in this league, so lets get behind the team an look forward". I'm getting no sense of belief from him, which is why I think he knows his days are numbered here.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sne said:

"We've lost once in seven games and all of a sudden there's a crisis swirling."

How many wins in those 7 games Bruce, and who did we face?

Did he say that? “all of a sudden”?

It’s like he’s forgotten he was saying the same thing against Sheff Utd and that the other results somehow don’t count.

His interviews are like his team selections, “**** it, I’ll try this (again) and hope no one picks me up on it later.”

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Wasn’t at the game in person (pregnant wife would not have appreciated that) so watched on TV.  The thing that annoyed me even more than the overall performance was the lazy commentator group think about Bruce, his record, the “6 players missing from last year”, his experience...it’s got unbearable!

Yep. Commentators were trotting out the same nonsense that Bruce comes out with in his interviews.

Where would he be without his media luvvies.

1 hour ago, VillaAlex said:

As annoying as our performances are and our lack of results. I'm sick to death of his lies and spin to save his face. It's embarrassing to hear pundits and commentators echo this too.

I miss the days of Gregory and Little where we had a manager who cared about the club and not just his ego and paycheck.

Just out of interest, can you quote one case (or more) where Steve Bruce has demonstrably told a lie, i.e., said something that is provably untrue with a malicious intent to deceive?

The rational thing would be to consider the fact that we are stuck with this squad until January either way, so we should let him stick with it and hope it clicks at some point soon. 

But I'm not so sure. While I didn't see the match yesterday I also think any manager we bring in will need 6-12 months to get his system right. So the sooner we can make a change, the more likely we are to be challenging for promotion next season. I think everyone can agree that we most likely won't get promoted under Bruce this season. And to be honest he looks like someone who isn't up to how the game is played right now. People make the dinosaur joke, but it's pretty accurate. 

• Like 1

When a manager begins to undermine the fans and their feeling towards what is happening on the pitch, you cannot help but think that he is approaching the end of his tenure here.

We have a squad full of talented players but a manager that cannot turn a bunch of talented individuals into a team for Aston Villa FC.

It is a sad state and a continued growth in frustration.

Our board are not stupid, Purslow knows the game and they are going to start looking at statistics,finances and performances and started asking some serious questions.

Personally I still think that SB has a job until next Saturday, if he doesn't win the next two games then he will be under pressure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

It's obvious with the front line we now have and us still playing defensive football, tells me he is waiting to go. It's just playing safe, not losing, an waiting for the pay off. He must know he is on his way. His thinking may be, there is no need to develop a new plan with these players, as his tenure is coming to an end.

So hope thats the case. So bored with SB and his team right now. Apart from the physio i look at our bench and see SB and all the coaches we have sitting there and think what the **** are they doing each week back at BMH, cos its not happening on match day... unless they are specifically training to look disjointed and like they have no idea. Just some sort of atempt at a way of playing, an identity would be ao refreshing. Move on SB amd take all your staff as well

Edited by honest_bertie
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good post. Automatic promotion isn’t happening with this squad regardless who’s in charge. We have the odd gem but overall we’re a pretty average team.  We can get playoffs though, even under Bruce.

However a new manager could at least give us some potential hope for the future beyond this season. 

I know it is only opinions, but I think we have a bloody good squad for the CH.

I look at other teams, and I barely know any of their players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The rational thing would be to consider the fact that we are stuck with this squad until January either way, so we should let him stick with it and hope it clicks at some point soon.

I'm pretty certain the squad isn't the problem. On the contrary, Bruce has the tools he needs to get the job done, it's just that he's a bad workman. And because a good manager should get the job done with these tools, let's get one in as soon as possible before it's too late. I see no reason letting Bruce continue to hack away.

7 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I know it is only opinions, but I think we have a bloody good squad for the CH.

I look at other teams, and I barely know any of their players.

I think that’s half the problem. I don’t think we are anywhere near as good as fans think we are. 

Regardless we still should be a lot better as a team and that’s why Bruce has to go.

Â