Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Although I didn’t watch Cardiff too much when I did I didn’t think their style was too dissimilar to ours.  It was a containing game with attacks on the break. Also making good use of set pieces. 

They just did it slightly better than us. 

It wasn't at all. 

Cardiff's game is sit back, regain possession and then lump it up to a big man. They don't even try to pass the ball. They are the definition of a long ball team.
It worked for them, fair play.

I know that's how people like to say we play, but it's not. We're direct, but there's more to our game than that. We at least try to use the midfield, and work it out to the wide players to get crosses in.

Yes we resort to long balls sometimes, and yes sometimes our football is bad. But once again it's being exaggerated on here. Cardiff's football is way way worse.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Our football and Cardiff's football are not the same.

Cardiff play football the way people on here like to accuse Bruce of playing football.

I'm not saying we'd do amazingly in the Prem. But IF we got promoted this season, I'd be fairly confident Bruce would keep us up.

I think it's pretty similar to be honest. They play quite direct and rely on wingers to create everything for them from what I've seen. Though I will admit, I haven't watched them that extensively. 

59 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I'll nitpick here, but first point will be to say I have no problem with your idea, with one exception.

Why wait and lose your best asset, failing to obtain your objective in the process, when the plan is to move on regardless?

Because changing right now would cause too much disruption imo and would completely write this season off. With Bruce there's still a chance of promotion, however unlikely I think it is, I do believe we can make the play-offs with our squad. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I think it's pretty similar to be honest. They play quite direct and rely on wingers to create everything for them from what I've seen. Though I will admit, I haven't watched them that extensively. 

Even our players commented on it. 

One of those commentary videos with Snodgrass he was taking the piss out of Cardiff and how they just lumped it forward at every opportunity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Even our players commented on it. 

One of those commentary videos with Snodgrass he was taking the piss out of Cardiff and how they just lumped it forward at every opportunity.

I think we also do it a hell of a lot too. Maybe my anti-Bruce stance only remembers the terrible play and not the good things we do. I'll try and watch the next game a bit differently. Though, in my head, our main way of moving the ball forward is to lump it up and fight for a second ball, then try pass it around after that. 

32 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I think we also do it a hell of a lot too. Maybe my anti-Bruce stance only remembers the terrible play and not the good things we do. I'll try and watch the next game a bit differently. Though, in my head, our main way of moving the ball forward is to lump it up and fight for a second ball, then try pass it around after that. 

YEah I think you're doing the team a disservice. We may regress a bit this season, but particularly last season when we had Terry we were pretty calm at the back.

Again, I'm not denying that sometimes our play was bad. Awful in fact. And there are times in games where you resort to that out of desperation or lack of options. And I'm not denying that Bruce's style isn't direct and not exactly tiki taka anyway. But generally we were ok, especially in comparison to teams like Cardiff, Bolton, Ipswich etc.

I'll try and dig up some stats, but I seem to remember someone posting them and it showed our "long balls" were way way less than people make them out to be.

Edited by Stevo985

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This is just so wrong; We dont have the strikers to lump the ball to!

We are slightly one dimensional at times but only in so far as we try to find Jack far to often.

We try to play the ball out from the back more than lump it.

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It wasn't at all. 

Cardiff's game is sit back, regain possession and then lump it up to a big man. They don't even try to pass the ball. They are the definition of a long ball team.
It worked for them, fair play.

I know that's how people like to say we play, but it's not. We're direct, but there's more to our game than that. We at least try to use the midfield, and work it out to the wide players to get crosses in.

Yes we resort to long balls sometimes, and yes sometimes our football is bad. But once again it's being exaggerated on here. Cardiff's football is way way worse.

I didn’t see them enough to really comment to be fair. 

The only games I did see them was against us and wolves when they missed two penalties. 

I didn’t think they were a long ball team based on what I saw. They tried to get a lot of crosses in. 

Tbh I wouldn’t even have a problem with us playing the same way if it got us promoted. 

On a side note it made me laugh when the Henry clip came out highlighting his tactical side to the game. 

Broken down it basically mentioned how his work was all done in the last two thirds of the pitch then he gave creative freedom to his forward players.

This is Bruces tactics in a nutshell!

Our problem is that last third....until we get a striker to play off this system will look flawed as it relies on a striker to hold the ball and release it at the right time.

...but long ball we are not!

8 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

You're right that we dont have strikers to lump the ball to. That's why it's so frustrating when we do it. And we do. I wouldn't say it's our MO but it happens too often.

If the ball is lumped forward it's usually done so into the channel's rarely to the striker....unless kodjia has wandered there which I suppose happens quite a bit.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

Just watched the Ipswich press conference with Bruce.

Why the f*** does he keep having to bring up or mention "Doom and gloom surrounding the club".

What doom and gloom???

And another little mention the club has no CEO to negociate contracts!!??

So who sorted the 2 goalkeepers, Tuanzebes and McGinns contracts?

The man does himself no justice whatsoever.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We finished 4th, I would be amazed if we weren't among the highest scores and the best defensive teams.

The point is we finished 4th and not 1st or 2nd. Crucially, you'll find we weren't in the top 2 highest scorers or best defenses.

Not that I believe goal difference is an indicator of good or bad coaching, but since you brought it up, there's you go.

Yep and at our level, budget and expectations, a 4th place finish was a catastrophe.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Just watched the Ipswich press conference with Bruce.

Why the f*** does he keep having to bring up or mention "Doom and gloom surrounding the club".

What doom and gloom???

And another little mention the club has no CEO to negociate contracts!!??

So who sorted the 2 goalkeepers, Tuanzebes and McGinns contracts?

The man does himself no justice whatsoever.

I think it's pretty  clear the owners did not give him full backing and he's on the job hanging by a thread. So he's putting out the little excuses if it all goes to shit, he can blame it on the situation.

Honestly if we got new owners a bit earlier he'd be gone, I think the only reason he stayed was just to stabilize the club going into the league. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Alakagom said:

I think it's pretty  clear the owners did not give him full backing and he's on the job hanging by a thread. So he's putting out the little excuses if it all goes to shit, he can blame it on the situation.

Honestly if we got new owners a bit earlier he'd be gone, I think the only reason he stayed was just to stabilize the club going into the league. 

Yeah I have to agree with this and I said this a few weeks back that he is on borrowed time.

38 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

how did the owners not give him full backing? we've made the only signings we can based on our FFP restrictions...and i am genuinely curious to know why you think a manager with a 100% start to the season's job ever could be 'hanging by a thread'...sack him now we would be an absolute laughing stock!! think the new owners want that?

every team sheet, every sub, every tactical decision, every word spoken in interviews, even if he doesn't quite celebrate goals enough is scrutinized, picked apart, and criticized more than any manager i have ever known. he makes one comment about not having a CEO - totally valid point and why jack's contract negotiations are just one of many items on our new owners' 'to do' list - and you say he's making **** excuses?!!!! seriously people!! give the guy a **** break...no, the football might not be everyone's cup of tea...but it's a results business and he's here unless the results start to go against us.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yep and at our level, budget and expectations, a 4th place finish was a catastrophe.

It was. But I would guess people's expectations have been so warped by so many years of being an awful side, that it was seemingly good enough.

Just winning games and scoring goals for a change was good enough even though that was to be expected given our resources.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It was. But I would guess people's expectations have been so warped by so many years of being an awful side, that it was seemingly good enough.

Just winning games and scoring goals for a change was good enough even though that was to be expected given our resources.

it wasn't good enough...most will agree that. the disagreements are that some believe it was a sackable offence, others dont.

so we EXPECT to win games and score goals, which we are...the problems are that that is STILL not good enough for some, and i guarantee, we could win the next 8 on the bounce but the very first dropped point will be post after post of bruce out again. i just dont understand why people refuse to forgive last season and just see how the first few games of this one pan out

Â