Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, weedman said:

To all those concerned with the performances, remember the off season we've had? You know, from 2 weeks ago? Every player for sale, possible administration, manager that doesn't know if he's coming or going, no signings until the absolute last minute, big players leaving? We were in complete turmoil. Remember that?

It was always going to be a tough start to the season as the preparation for it was totally ruined by all the off field issues, the fact that we're still winning is a huge positive, we'll naturally improve as the season goes on as everything settles down somewhat and a few new players are brought in  so I'm feeling cautiously optimistic at the moment 

Thought i was reading a Bruce post-match interview there......!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

The fable is that we play like we did yesterday week in week out. We don't. We are usually very strong defensively for a start.

We had a good season last year just not quite good enough and the squad never reached the heights it was capable of achieving which was automatic promotion so we fell short but not by much. I also thought last season we had some very good games. Three weeks ago the challenge was to maintain our position in this league and ride out the financial storm it is now to build on last season and that is what I expect.

Football under Bruce is never going to be easy on the eye week in week out and there will be plenty of games where we grind out results. No one for a second would suggest that we will play free flowing attacking football and I personally have zero issue with that as it is all about results for me in this league but we will more often than not play better than we did yesterday.

For me that's the case in point, Mark, yesterday is pretty much exactly how we DO play week in week out bar a couple of very good performances e.g. Bristol City, Wolves which, lets be honest, are very much the exception as opposed to the norm. I agree we were better defensively last season but with square pegs in round holes being the make-up of our defence it is no surprise at present. You are willing to sacrifice free-flowing football for results, i get that.....but Bruce has given us NEITHER in his 2 years as we are still in the Championship. I do not believe for one moment that NSWE see Bruce as the long-term future of the club and realise that to have success we need to fins a manager/head coach who will adopt a style of play and gameplan that Wolves and Fulham so evdiently demonstrated last season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, weedman said:

So none of that stuff happened then? I must have one hell of an imagination. 

No gameplan, no clear strategy and limited tactical approach over the last 21 months.....financial issues or not these should all be in place now, no excuses.

• Like 4

I don’t think Bruce is a bad manager at all ,but I think he is a average one and not what Villa need at the moment when we didn’t go up last year was time to get a younger more modern manager as in the long run Bruce will cost us promotion again,he has his strengths he has a good way about him players seem to like him and want  to play for him he has done a lot of good things for the club we have stabilized we have a lot to be thankful to Bruce for but he gets caught out too often he doesn’t seem to be able to judge a game and opposition at all tactically he is poor and this is what will catch us ,perfect example is with Jedinak  yesterday I think he can play centre half but only against certain teams not against teams with pace and who will look to get in behind he is suited to playing against more robust teams Bruce doesn’t seem to see this at all that it’s horses for courses at times he just gets so many of these decisions wrong ,same with team selection to make 6 changes today and play so many players out of position and with a new keeper just makes it worse the mind boggles he will cost us promotion again .

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, eholm said:

No gameplan, no clear strategy and limited tactical approach over the last 21 months.....financial issues or not these should all be in place now, no excuses.

There is a gameplan and strategy and a tactical approach, it's just defense oriented so you don't like it. We're organised, solid and counter attacking, and excellent at set pieces. The style is absolutely nowhere near as bad as people make out. Just because you don't like the gameplan doesn't mean there isn't one and doesn't mean it won't work.

For all the talk of attacking football being the only way, Cardiff got promoted playing the worst football in the division, for all the talk of Wolves they played really similarly to us, organised and counter attacking team, they just had a range of £15m+ players doing it instead of Glenn Whelan. The only team you can argue really played good attacking football was Fulham, even the rest of the top 6, Boro have Pulis and play 11 men behind the ball hope for 1-0 because, Pulis. Derby played very defense oriented football as well. Literally 5 of last seasons top 6 prioritised the defence

All the talk of Bruce ball, yesterday we had more possession, more shots, more on target, more blocked shots, more passes with a higher pass completion, more key passes, scored more goals and came from behind to maintain our 100% start to the season, with an unsettled squad which desperately needs a couple more players - players we're likely to get in the next few weeks. I mean, it's not ALL bad right? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I was watching MOTD last night and the array of talent and the style of play that these teams had.

Teams like Watford, Palace, Bournemouth. 

Teams you would consider to be average at that level looking miles ahead from where we are.

If Bruce managed to get us promoted.

I would dread to think how we would look as a premier league team. 

We’d spend a lot of money on better players and compete with the teams mentioned just like every other team that has been promoted in the last couple of seasons. 

1 hour ago, eholm said:

Thought i was reading a Bruce post-match interview there......!!

If you’ve actually bothered to listen to any of his post-match interviews you will know he diesn’t raise any of this stuff. Just praises the good stuff from his team, acknowledges the need to improve and then goes away.

This thread seems to have created a fantasy Steve Bruce who says and does things the real one never does. 

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, KT3AVFC said:

We’d spend a lot of money on better players and compete with the teams mentioned just like every other team that has been promoted in the last couple of seasons. 

Don’t think there would have been too much left for players after Dr T had paid off all his debts.

11 minutes ago, KT3AVFC said:

Better players being managed by a limited manager..

• Like 1

On 10/08/2018 at 20:57, pintpotvilla said:

I hope he's still here at 5,000 pages because it will mean we've been promoted. Give the bloke a rest he's the main reason we've still got Jack

We're going up no doubt about it!!

The only reason we have Jack ( thankfully ) is because we now have owners who can't be bullied by the likes of Levvy - nothing to do with Bruce and I certainly agree with part of your post 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

It’s refreshing that the excuses keep changing. First it was he hasn’t had a preseason, now he hasn’t had the right sort of preseason. 

I’m not saying it’s been ideal, but there is always some sort of preemptive reason for Bruce not to succeed. And indeed what is deemed as success is a constantly moving target. Last summer even his most ardent of supporters generally added a caveat that he must hit the ground running and automatic promotion is the only acceptable achievement. Now people are suggesting that another playoff final would be a success. 

The first thing we should invest in is a bucket of 6” nails to stop the goalposts moving. 

Pretty much. A lot of his line ups, formation and tactics appears to be done on the fly, with no clear thought behind them. He really doesn't have a proper plan in place and that's precisely what we need.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

It’s refreshing that the excuses keep changing. First it was he hasn’t had a preseason, now he hasn’t had the right sort of preseason. 

I’m not saying it’s been ideal, but there is always some sort of preemptive reason for Bruce not to succeed. And indeed what is deemed as success is a constantly moving target. Last summer even his most ardent of supporters generally added a caveat that he must hit the ground running and automatic promotion is the only acceptable achievement. Now people are suggesting that another playoff final would be a success. 

The first thing we should invest in is a bucket of 6” nails to stop the goalposts moving. 

Its almost as if circumstances change over time isn't it? Besides, how many managers need to be "making excuses" after two wins in 2 games? 

Besides, I'm stating facts, saying our off season wasn't ideal is massively downplaying events. Man Utds pre season wasn't ideal, ours was a total **** of bad news and uncertainty over everything, you don't think that'll affect the players and staff? 

All I was saying is that the start was always going to be tough after the summer, I said this before the season (with the caveat that I think the league will be tighter this year so we should be able to recover from a poor start) but despite that we're 2 from 2, 6 goals scored (including a Hutton goal) and we've got new owners with real money, I'd say things aren't going too badly right now are they? 

• Like 1

Just because I don't believe Bruce is the right man, it doesn't mean I think everything about him is negative. There is just more that I don't like than I do. I don't think it's unfair to point things out, and I try hard to be balanced by mentioning positives too. I'm also happy to be asked what I think those positives are, it is never an issue.

• Like 4

Reports stating he wants the owners to pay off Micah  and McCormack sicken me. Yes Micah has dodgy knees but no one has come out and said he can’t play football anymore, although that might be the case.

However when it comes to Ross the fact Bruce is happy to write off 12 million in fees and a fat sum more on wages is just incredible. Yes Ross is a scum bag but however you feel about his attitude he is still a functioning player who has scored goals at every club he has played at and never been bombed out like this. Which surely is a sign of a ego p*ssing contest that costs millions, cue ‘but if Ross comes back all the players and squad harmony will implode as he is Satan’ comments.

so far this season the tactics and formations have been strange at best but I hope he hits a formula soon that doesn’t involve square pegs in round holes, he isn’t going anywhere and I want to look at some of the positives which there definitely are.

Edited by VillanousOne

33 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If you’ve actually bothered to listen to any of his post-match interviews you will know he diesn’t raise any of this stuff. Just praises the good stuff from his team, acknowledges the need to improve and then goes away.

This thread seems to have created a fantasy Steve Bruce who says and does things the real one never does. 

I have indeed listened to them and comments like ".....considering all the doom and gloom" etc, etc. 

Acknowledges the good stuff..... bet that didnt take long

And then goes away....cant wait till he does

We are a poor team and after 2 years in charge there is no excuse for it, end of.

5 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Terry maybe I am being overly critical mate. I think the trouble is I, and perhaps others, still get sucked into the 'oh it is Wigan at home we should be winning this comfortably' mentality. I actually said in the reaction thread I was impressed with Wigan, especially going forward, and they will give plenty of teams problems this season. We didn't hep ourselves yesterday though and it could have been more comfortable had the players all been on their game.

As said overall I have no complaints and in fairness even though I have done it we shouldn't be dissecting every performance looking at where we can give the manager a bit of a pasting. He has managed us through a difficult summer and ensured the team spirit has been maintained and despite still lacking in certain areas and a few players not up to speed he has overseen a good start to the season. 

There is a bit of a feel good factor round the place now, it was great to see a big crowd yesterday and we have put an early foundation down to build on. We will fill the gaps in the squad I have no doubt about that and overall there is plenty to be positive about going forward. It is certainly a world away from what I was anticipating three weeks ago.

Thats fair comment Mark.....and you are right Wigan are a decent side and will take points off other teams.

my point is this.....Why do these perceived lower teams get players who manage to be so effective.Just as a few observations.....The lad Robinson (3) what a bundle of energy he is and to think we are looking for a left back.....Their goal keeper i thought had presence and quite competent.....2 centre backs not as technically gifted as Chester, but aggressive and robust.

No doubt we did well in terms of securing the result, but we do have too many players at times who get so easily relieved of the ball.....they must sort this out.

Thought McGinn was an exception, reminded me of Cropley.

Â