Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I really think we need stability. Sacking a manager who took us to a playoff final because he doesn't set us up like Jurgen Klopp or whatever else is not wise at this point. 

Nicely, and politely put, hear hear.

Actually I’d be fine sacking two managers every season if we were going nowhere.....stability for its own sake isn’t worth it IMO.

But indeed, sacking him in order to try and play whatever the heck it is some think we ‘ should’ be playing is an even dafter idea than sacking him if he doesn’t “ meet his target” by one game.

Edited by terrytini

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Actually I’d be fine sacking two managers every season if we were going nowhere.....stability for its own sake isn’t worth it IMO.

But indeed, sacking him in order to try and play whatever the heck it is some think we ‘ should’ be playing is an even dafter idea than sacking him if he doesn’t “ meet his target” by one game.

It's very easy to put this spin on it Terry - but the reality is Bruce was tasked with taking this club back into the prem - I believe the club expected him to deliver a play off spot last season and at promotion this season either ideally automatic or at least by play - off.

so in my view failure to get promotion would represent a failure overall of  a season and two thirds and not really missing his target by one game. imo 

Just now, Dave J said:

It's very easy to put this spin on it Terry - but the reality is Bruce was tasked with taking this club back into the prem - I believe the club expected him to deliver a play off spot last season and at promotion this season either ideally automatic or at least by play - off.

so in my view failure to get promotion would represent a failure overall of  a season and two thirds and not really missing his target by one game. imo 

Please yourself ? I doubt very very much those running the Club will share your view. But if they do, they do And we’ll see how much higher we go with Mr X....

23 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Agreed . . . but that's not how I see where we are (you may well agree? I'm not sure). We were barely outside the relegation zone when Bruce took over. He's turned around the mentality amongst the players, won not too far off half his matches in charge, and as you say, got us to within a game. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Doesn't make it a fact though, just because you believe it. In-fact it would be stupid of any board to say there is just one criteria and one criteria only that makes you a success and failure.

It's my opinion that, the board said something like this to Bruce:

Our first goal is to get promoted. But we understand that you have to turn around the losing mentality at the club. We understand that you have get rid of some players and bring in some others get the right balance to the squad, (btw we don't have that much money so please use your contacts and your nouce to get us some relatively cheap buys?)
Please engineer a good team spirit and get the 1st team fighting for each on the pitch. This will endear the team more to the fans and get them excited about the club again. Get us some stability and a few wins and we're sure the fans will come back.

Finally Steve, if you can, get us playing with a bit of flair and style and beating a few opponents by more than the odd goal now and again. That will excite the fans no end! Now, we understand that this will all take time, and there will be ups and downs, but as long as we see things generally moving in the right direction on all these matters the we are behind you 100%.

If they're smart, Wydness, D. Xia, Ian Taylor and Brian Little would have said something along those lines to Brucey (in my opinion.)

Edited by TheAuthority

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Doesn't make it a fact though just because you believe it. In-fact it would be stupid of any board to say there is just one criteria and one criteria only that makes you a success and failure.

It's my opinion that, the board said something like this to Bruce:

Our first goal is to get promoted. But we understand that you have to turn around the losing mentality at the club. We understand that you have get rid of some players and bring in some others get the right balance to the squad, (btw we don't have that much money so please use your contacts and your nouce to get us some relatively cheap buys?)
Please engineer a good team spirit and get the 1st team fighting for each on the pitch. This will endear the team more to the fans and get them excited about the club again. Get us some stability and a few wins and we're sure the fans will come back.

Finally Steve, if you can, get us playing with a bit of flair and style and beating a few opponents by more than the odd goal now and again. That will excite the fans no end! Now, we understand that this will all take time, and there will be ups and downs, but as long as we see things generally moving in the right direction on all these matters the we are behind you 100%.

If they're smart, Wydness, D. Xia, Ian Taylor and Brian Little would have said something along those lines to Brucey (in my opinion.)

They are businessmen first and foremost with a little thing called FFP dangling over them - I did say it was my view not a fact mind.

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

They are businessmen first and foremost with a little thing called FFP dangling over them - I did say it was my view not a fact mind.

Not trying to be a d^*k but you did say 

19 minutes ago, Dave J said:

My point is that I think he remit was more broad than solely getting promotion. That would be myopic and short sighted.

As it's moving in the right direction on the things that I mentioned, then the board will keep supporting him.

5 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Not trying to be a d^*k but you did say 

My point is that I think he remit was more broad than solely getting promotion. That would be myopic and short sighted.

As it's moving in the right direction on the things that I mentioned, then the board will keep supporting him.

My view - I believe -  does not represent me saying something is fact surely ? And I think we must agree to disagree on this  

31 minutes ago, terrytini said:

And, he will have missed it by 1 game, if he misses it, whether you call it spin or not. 

Mate this is less like spin and more Galaxial whirlwind tornado... wtf?

"Missed out on 160000000 pound windfall by one game...soz Board, bank account and potential future of club"

Aside from the obvious, all that does is strengthen the argument of detractors who point to the fact that we should not even be in the position to be missing out by "One game"

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

In my view it’s pretty obvious the goal/ target/ idea/ desire/ wish was to get promoted.

But it’s equally obvious that the wish/ hope/ view of some that the Club will simply say “ ah, you didn’t do that, nothing else will be considered, we are going to start from scratch, goodbye” is unlikely to happen. 

At the very least they will assess the whole picture carefully. They may indeed then decide to change, but it won’t be a simple case of deciding “ it’s a failure”.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

"Missed out on 160000000 pound windfall by one game...soz Board, bank account and potential future of club"

Aside from the obvious, all that does is strengthen the argument of detractors who point to the fact that we should not even be in the position to be missing out by "One game"

I don’t agree, and to be honest find the views of those who think we “ should” be this or that naive and/ or arrogant in the extreme.

Theres not a Club or Manager in the World that can guarantee anything, ( as in any other walk of life). And to think there is no difference between losing a Play Off final and finishing 10th is misguided.

33 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Agreed . . . but that's not how I see where we are (you may well agree? I'm not sure). We were barely outside the relegation zone when Bruce took over. He's turned around the mentality amongst the players, won not too far off half his matches in charge, and as you say, got us to within a game. 

100% agree. But more than that, his record since September is exactly at the Level we’d need next year.  That’s some gamble if they get rid.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Know what ?

I can 100% guarantee that had we missed getting Relegated by 1 Point his detractors would say “ he’s got to go he’s only one place off us going down”. 

And on a lighter note, if England lose the World Cup Final on penalties it will forever be “ we nearly won it” ?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

What depresses about that table is that the last eight years has seen basically the same managerial turnover as the previous twenty-four. Okay, several of those are caretakers, but that's just further evidence of the problem since they come from sacking managers mid-season. 

I really think we need stability. Sacking a manager who took us to a playoff final because he doesn't set us up like Jurgen Klopp or whatever else is not wise at this point. 

What depresses me about that table is the thought of reading it.

6 hours ago, terrytini said:

100% agree. But more than that, his record since September is exactly at the Level we’d need next year.  That’s some gamble if they get rid.

This. The board will not gamble, finances allowing. 

7 hours ago, terrytini said:

In my view it’s pretty obvious the goal/ target/ idea/ desire/ wish was to get promoted.

But it’s equally obvious that the wish/ hope/ view of some that the Club will simply say “ ah, you didn’t do that, nothing else will be considered, we are going to start from scratch, goodbye” is unlikely to happen. 

At the very least they will assess the whole picture carefully. They may indeed then decide to change, but it won’t be a simple case of deciding “ it’s a failure”.

And there lies the crux of it all - WHOLE picture it's not about if we lose on Saturday Terry -!the larger overview of his tenure is under scrutiny imo 

• Like 1

Â