Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

interesting comments from wyness at the supporters trust agm meeting  regarding Bruce .

All very much wait and see for now -

wyness and round were in attendance .

KW- Not going to say whether Steve Bruce will be in or out either way and we shouldn’t not to read anything into that. There's been big strides forward and have to wait to see where we are at the end of the season.
Q.
JT and news he wants to stay?
A.
SR – JT has expressed interest he wants to stay on and play.
If promoted, he will most likely be with us - if not, then will have to see where we are.

Ps - Cannot provide a link as these comments are taken from the official minutes made available to members .

• Like 1

Cheers @Eastie

To be expected I guess. They’re not likely to say Bruce better get us promoted or he’s outta here at this point.

I’m 90% certain that, unless we completely collapse and lose all our remaining games, Bruce will be in charge next season, promotion or not.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Do you even need to know what's going on behind the scenes when you're in 22nd place with one win out of eleven matches. 

I'd say the scenes were very much public. 

Whilst I am no huge fan of RDM - I feel I should point out that often on here we can read about the mess Bruce inherited - this being the case then RDM surely inherited utter chaos ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Cheers @Eastie

To be expected I guess. They’re not likely to say Bruce better get us promoted or he’s outta here at this point.

I’m 90% certain that, unless we completely collapse and lose all our remaining games, Bruce will be in charge next season, promotion or not.

I think that would probably be the club's stance as well.  Just not sure if he would want to carry on or not if we stay down.   It would be a different job next season with much bigger constraints, plus with everything he has had going on in his personal life, he may decide it's not for him.

10 hours ago, Dave J said:

Whilst I am no huge fan of RDM - I feel I should point out that often on here we can read about the mess Bruce inherited - this being the case then RDM surely inherited utter chaos ?

But its irrelevant, SB probably inherited an even bigger mess once RDM had wreaked his short spell of havoc and proceeded to achieve much more, so its a moot point surely? 

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But its irrelevant, SB probably inherited an even bigger mess once RDM had wreaked his short spell of havoc and proceeded to achieve much more, so its a moot point surely? 

Honestly, I think we were in better shape post RDM than we were when relegated.  We weren't in good shape, by no means, but better.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I would challenge this point of view tbh - but I respect your right to have this view.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

SB inherited Chester and Kodija. The latter being the one that most likely kept him in a job for the season. Also let’s not forget Bruce managed to go 9 games without a win after a further spending speee. 

Not a defence of RDM or an attack at Bruce. Just the facts 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2018 at 22:13, romavillan said:

I'd love to know whether that summer window was all RDM's work or what, if so then it's his fault he had no midfield. If not, then yeah, things might have been very different had he been left to work on what he wanted to and fix the summer in Jan. We'll never know obvs but looking back it seems just incredibly mental to start a season with nothing in the middle of the park.

Unless you have taken over from a very good manager, when things just need tweaking.......The last 10 years every manager has required a radical change, that requires money the owners have not always got and when they have you bump in to FFP to make it interesting ( joke).

In theory it should mean ( if we have been buying right) that eventually it only needs tweaking with a couple of new recruits every window.

RDM didn't have enough time IMO.....but I suspect the powers that be, seen something that persuaded them not to give it to him.....i can only guess.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

SB inherited Chester and Kodija. The latter being the one that most likely kept him in a job for the season. Also let’s not forget Bruce managed to go 9 games without a win after a further spending speee. 

Yes true....but the spending spree was just the start of the rectification......not the finished article, it just improved things from being utter **** to not very good....there was still a way to go.

In my honest opinion, from where we was I saw 4/5 windows to get us serious about promotion.....given our ability with limited funds and a few cock-ups, which are inevitable I guess.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Unless you have taken over from a very good manager, when things just need tweaking.......The last 10 years every manager has required a radical change, that requires money the owners have not always got and when they have you bump in to FFP to make it interesting ( joke).

In theory it should mean ( if we have been buying right) that eventually it only needs tweaking with a couple of new recruits every window.

RDM didn't have enough time IMO.....but I suspect the powers that be, seen something that persuaded them not to give it to him.....i can only guess.

It was crazy to spend so much money on strikers when we already had so many at the club. Surely that money had to be spend on top midfielders. 

But then the club probably felt a midfield of Gardner, tish, jed and Westwood was sufficient. 

Edit: I honestly think the club underestimated the strength of the league and thought with that many players with Premier League experience we’d be fine. Maybe even Bruce did.

I know as a fan I never for a second realised how tought it is. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

On 3/23/2018 at 11:36, bannedfromHandV said:

Do you even need to know what's going on behind the scenes when you're in 22nd place with one win out of eleven matches. 

I'd say the scenes were very much public. 

fair comment.....but I believe there was something from what I heard.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yes true....but the spending spree was just the start of the rectification......not the finished article, it just improved things from being utter **** to not very good....there was still a way to go.

In my honest opinion, from where we was I saw 4/5 windows to get us serious about promotion.....given our ability with limited funds and a few cock-ups, which are inevitable I guess.

Really? I backed us to go straight back up. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It was crazy to spend so much money on strikers when we already had so many at the club. Surely that money had to be spend on top midfielders. 

But then the club probably felt a midfield of Gardner, tish, jed and Westwood was sufficient. 

Personally, I think its been a problem for some time.

we just don't seem to buy enough quality in that dep't.

• Like 2

Just now, TRO said:

Not for me.....absolutely no where near for me.

I admit I was naive. But we had a team with players like Chester, Elphick, Amavi, Jedinak, Ayew, McCormack, Kodija, Westwood. 

On paper we had some solid players for this level. As a team we were a shambles and the issues at the club ran deep. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I admit I was naive. But we had a team with players like Chester, Elphick, Amavi, Jedinak, Ayew, McCormack, Kodija, Westwood. 

On paper we had some solid players for this level. As a team we were a shambles and the issues at the club ran deep. 

its the on paper bit that has always worried me.....

On paper we never should have won the league in 1980/81......but we don't play on paper.

seriously....its all about a blend.....not a series of individuals.

Edited by TRO

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Absolutely bang on - as I said previously I am no particular fan of RDM - but it's important to have it right .

thank you 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

its the on paper bit that has always worried me.....

On paper we never should have won the league in 1980/81......but we don't play on paper.

seriously....its all about a blend.....not a series of individuals.

TRO - may I ask what you mean by on paper we would not have won the league please - just out of interest please?

thank you 

15 hours ago, Dave J said:

TRO - may I ask what you mean by on paper we would not have won the league please - just out of interest please?

thank you 

Dave .....What I mean is no household names......If we had of done and built it that way, we probably wouldn't have done what we did.

They were in the main journey men or players their clubs was not bothered about holding on to......Ron and his coaches built a team to do a job, in the main their Mantra was workrate all built on Industry and workrate, for sure we had players who could play, but it was the work ethic that was our forte.

We had midfielders who could run with the ball and keep it.....We had centre forwards who would win their duels and score goals.....We had inside forwards ( old fashioned term) who had guile......we had a winger who could go past players.....Full Backs who could tackle and raid down the flanks.....and centre halves who could win the ball in the air and add to the goals for column.

I think very few made their mark in the Internationals such was their reputations and none of them caused a stir of excitement ,when we signed them.

thats what I mean Dave.....no famous Names, yet we give some of the best teams in Europe a game.

I guess you will disagree, but Hey ho.

Edited by TRO

Â