Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

34 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I mean, he's right. What's the point in signing somebody if they're not better than what we have?

Funny how Kienan Davis appears to have been written off as well. 

I don't think anyone has written off Davis tbh Doug - some have quite rightly questioned if he will score enough goals for us - but in the grand scheme of things I feel he is generally well thought of? It is a concern if Bruce is thinking Gabby/ RHM will get goals for us if needed and probably a little unfair on RHM to expect him to imo - maybe a certain gentleman just flown in from the antipodeas might have something to say about this?

• Like 1

Davis hasn't scored much but when he was in the side we were scoring form midfield. Don't mind where the goals come from as long as they come. Plus he hasn't played with grealish in the side yet has he? Different from hogan but I wouldn't write off his effectiveness to the team yet. 

I'd be happy with another experienced striker but not just getting anyone in just for the sake of it. 

42 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

He's scored two goals and Hogan's scored three and been rubbish in 90% of the games we've played—and when he does play he touches the ball about 10 times. We could 100% do with someone else. Two strikers isn't enough anyway. 

I never said it was or that we couldn't do with another. 

Only that there is no point unless they are better than what we have. That seems to have confused all of you. 

56 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I never said it was or that we couldn't do with another. 

Only that there is no point unless they are better than what we have. That seems to have confused all of you

You did say that and followed it up with

Thats the part that people have called you out on as i cant see anyone has said that. I agree on your point about signing someone for the sake of it but we seriously saying their are no better strikers that can score more than two league goals or isn't always injured like RHM and gabby? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Surely the problem was Kodjia getting injured again a few months into the season? 

We started with 5 strikers

• Hogan
  • Kodjia
  • RHM
  • Davis
  • Agbonlahor

Hogan & RHM ,AGbonlahor.  were in the injury saloon or out of favour......Kodjia and Davis (a rookie) was the only fit ones we could rely on.

Most of the division went with 6 or 7 in their respective squads....Derby had 8 strikers on their books.

"Prepared"......remember our motto.

Imo we started too lean in the striking Dep', who had promotion ambitions.

Not a criticism ( because i don't know the clubs reasoning behind it)more an observation.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We started with 5 strikers

• Hogan
  • Kodjia
  • RHM
  • Davis
  • Agbonlahor

Plus McCormack.  Also, we only play with 1 striker, whereas Derby (your example) play with 2. 

Essentially, that's 6 players/position at Villa and 4 players/position at Derby.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I mean, he's right. What's the point in signing somebody if they're not better than what we have?

It's hard to believe we can't find a striker better than Gabby.

We could do with a striker that is as good as what we have. (Not including Gabby).

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Irrespective of tonight’s game I wish Steve all the best with the news of his mum being taken Unwell - family comes before football and I hope she recovers quickly . 

‘Worrying time for him .

absolutely its only football at the end of the day

• Like 2

Fair play, he set us up to be hard to beat tonight and pulled it off.

It's always a hard place to go, and this season they've conceded less than 1 per game at Bramall Lane.

We asked him to step up to the plate after Brentford, and we've now won 5 on the spin and conceded 1 goal...

• Like 2

Â