Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Aston Villa Set Timeframe for Steve Bruce to get club back into the Premier League

Steve Bruce is under doctor's orders to get Aston Villa back in the Premier League - and sharpish

Oct 13, 2016.

Ambitious Chinese tycoon Dr Tony Xia has warned his new boss he is an impatient man.

His blueprint is for the Championship strugglers to return to the top flight at the first attempt or next season at the latest.

Club owner Xia moved for promotion expert Bruce after sacking Roberto Di Matteo just 124 days after making him his first appointment.

He has offered a bumper 5 year deal to Bruce to try to turn around the fortunes of the ailing giants.

Xia said: "Aston Villa will return to the Premier League at most within two years".

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/720483/Aston-Villa-Steve-Bruce-Championship-manager

• Like 1

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

And in no sense does that tweet, which I think was actually in response to a grovelling climbdown by Barry Fry for foolish comments he had made, refer to Steve Bruce failing to meet his (Xia’s) expectations, which was your initial point.

Indeed, Xia has been keen recently to ask Villa fans to be positive and get behind the team and appreciate the step by step improvement that is happening. 

That’s your interpretation of it. If you look into the Xia thread others including myself disagree with you. I think a comment such as all leave cancelled doesn’t support your point of view either that Bruce is doing more than ok.

With what’s available to the managers Cardiff and Derby are doing more than ok while Bruce is currently doing the very least that is expected if you consider other posters quotes above.

Edited by striker

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I'm never ceased to be amazed by this thread. We have just moved up to 4th in the league, sit 5 points from automatic promotion with 19 games left to overhaul that gap having just won three very tough games on the spin. You'd think we'd all be buzzing with optimism, chomping at the bit and well up for backing the manager and players and doing all we can to help push them to promotion. Instead the discussion is around what was a realistic aim last season and what the manager said 12-15 months ago.

I'd be careful those of you are wallowing in the past and looking backwards as a means to criticize the manager/club as you are in danger of missing out on the here and now. If this club is to achieve what we all want it to this season then it needs us all pulling in the same direction. We all have a part to play be that by getting our arses to the games and when we get there offering positive, vociferous support or by those of us who can't get to the games focusing on the positives and looking to the future. We have had too many years of crap and now for the first time in years finally have something to be positive about and a positive cause to get behind. Let's not waste it. 

Well said that man

• Like 2

On 12/10/2016 at 11:24, lapal_fan said:

I'm completely indifferent. 

I think I know what to expect.  I think I know what his limitations are.  I think I know what will happen should we go up this season.  I think I know what will happen if we don't.

I can't affect anything about the decision made, so I may as well look on the bright side and say "I imagine at least we'll be organised and hard to beat - if not a little unspectacular".

It would be a start just winning a couple on the bounce :) 

Interesting posts back when he arrived.

For someone who has consistently mocked anyone for having concerns this is an interesting first post on the subject  

You mention should we go up, so clearly thought it was a possibility, and then mention what will happen if we don't. What does that mean? Seems you thought there would be consequences if we didn't get promoted. 

How adorable. 

It's ok though, i'm just as bad because i've looked at my early posts and in my strong defence of anyone criticising the appointment i've mentioned about just staying up at first. 

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

For someone who has consistently mocked anyone for having concerns this is an interesting first post on the subject  

You mention should we go up, so clearly thought it was a possibility, and then mention what will happen if we don't. What does that mean? Seems you thought there would be consequences if we didn't get promoted. 

How adorable. 

It's ok though, i'm just as bad because i've looked at my early posts and in my strong defence of anyone criticising the appointment i've mentioned about just staying up at first. 

Fair points

Its not about point scoring or rubbing anyone's nose in it .....we have all had the wobbles in our stances.....We have to find a way to get the momentum rolling.....and there is no momentum like all singing off the same Hymn Sheet.......We need to look forwards, backwards has gone.

We still have 19 games left its all to play for......We need to keep our nerve, because their will be setbacks, but we have to ignore them and push on.

We can do this and if we keep the pressure on teams around us, who knows, we might surprise ourselves.

If we think we can, we can......If we think we can't, we can't.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

He always does.....some would do well to listen.

I find that very condescending.

I don’t think anyone is unhappy with the current form. How could they be and I’ve seen most posters who have been against Bruce actually be complementary towards him since the game against Bristol City.

The debate was whether Bruce is ‘doing more than ok’ achieving the expectations of fans and owner or, the bare minimum expected?

Its a fair debate imo when you look at the quotes when Bruce first arrived. I don’t think it’s a means to criticise the manager or indeed any perceived lack of support.

I’ve seen one or two on match day hoping for a loss just to get Bruce the sack a few games ago but for the most part, and certainly most recently, there has been 100% backing for the team and manager on match day and I’m sure that will continue as long as results are favourable.

For clarity I think Villa at the moment are achieving the bare minimum expectation with the bookies having Villa as favourites at the start of the season.

I also think Wolves are still catchable because they haven’t really had a spate of injuries or loss of form yet but it would take Villa to keep winning to put the pressure on.

Realistically though Villa are more than good enough to secure second place.

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, striker said:

I find that very condescending.

I don’t think anyone is unhappy with the current form. How could they be and I’ve seen most posters who have been against Bruce actually be complementary towards him since the game against Bristol City.

The debate was whether Bruce is ‘doing more than ok’ achieving the expectations of fans and owner or, the bare minimum expected?

Its a fair debate imo when you look at the quotes when Bruce first arrived. I don’t think it’s a means to criticise the manager or indeed any perceived lack of support.

I’ve seen one or two on match day hoping for a loss just to get Bruce the sack a few games ago but for the most part, and certainly most recently there has been 100% backing for the team and manager on match day and I’m sure that will continue as long as results are favourable. 

It wasn't meant to be condescending, so sorry if you read it that way.

I accept your points.

My point was , Mark has written consistently on here some very balanced stuff on Steve Bruce( IMO) and I was merely reminding folk its well worth listening to.....I for one, benefit from it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

It wasn't meant to be condescending, so sorry if you read it that way.

I accept your points.

My point was Mark has written consistently on here some very balanced stuff on Steve Bruce( IMO) and I was merely reminding folk its well worth listening to.....I for one, benefit from it.

No need to apologise TRO. I’ve probably misunderstood your post and many thanks for explaining.:)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

How adorable. 

So I've just bought my first rape alarm.  Never had a stalker before.

Anywyay, from the soundbites coming out of the club at that point, I thought Bruce would *probably* be sacked if he didn't serve up promotion.  It seemed to me at the time, Tony would be an iron fist ruler.  Gladly, that's not the case.

I still maintain that we're not spectacular, barring a few results.  I enjoy what we put out, barring a few results and we're definitely more organised.  Bruce was the best man for the job at the time.

I wobbled and thought about firing him last January, when it seemed we weren't progressing, but credit again, he turned it round.

It's adorable the lengths you've gone find that though, nice one little fella! ;)

:lol: and If I didn't laugh at my own jokes, no-one else would! HAHAHAHA.

I'm just happy we're winning and showing solid, measurable signs of progression and I think we'll be there or there abouts come the end of the season.  JT will make sure of that, oh captain my captain.

Edit* oh and I think I still know what his limitations are: and that's getting promoted, but maybe struggling come Xmas and I think to really move on and make the most out of Tony's huge investments (hopefully) then we might have to bring in some fashionable German/Spanish or Italian super coach of the moment. 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Spot on. 

It's adorable though.  People don't understand how things can change.  Some people refuse to accept it.  

I'm looking forward to every match now.  I hoped we'd win against Forest (obviously), but it's the kind of game that 12 months ago, we'd have probably lost.  We're looking much tougher mentally, which enables us to play our own game better.  Well done to all those involved in the culture change after the last 7 or 8 years, it's taken some doing and not as short as we'd all hoped, but the shoots are there for most to see. 

It's the kind of game we did lose last season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

So I've just bought my first rape alarm.  Never had a stalker before.

Anywyay, from the soundbites coming out of the club at that point, I thought Bruce would *probably* be sacked if he didn't serve up promotion.  It seemed to me at the time, Tony would be an iron fist ruler.  Gladly, that's not the case.

I still maintain that we're not spectacular, barring a few results.  I enjoy what we put out, barring a few results and we're definitely more organised.  Bruce was the best man for the job at the time.

I wobbled and thought about firing him last January, when it seemed we weren't progressing, but credit again, he turned it round.

It's adorable the lengths you've gone find that though, nice one little fella! ;)

:lol: and If I didn't laugh at my own jokes, no-one else would! HAHAHAHA.

I'm just happy we're winning and showing solid, measurable signs of progression and I think we'll be there or there abouts come the end of the season.  JT will make sure of that, oh captain my captain.

Edit* oh and I think I still know what his limitations are: and that's getting promoted, but maybe struggling come Xmas and I think to really move on and make the most out of Tony's huge investments (hopefully) then we might have to bring in some fashionable German/Spanish or Italian super coach of the moment. 

@NurembergVillan told me to read the early pages of this thread, think that was on page 12/13. Literally took a few clicks on the thread we are posting in. Not the full on stalker mode.....yet.

I was also the same and at other points and full credit he has turned it round. Genuinely is the most positive i have felt since he first joined. 

• Like 1

Â