Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but if you aren't I am in the camp of not believing that Bruce has anything to offer this club long term.

I understand fully why we don't sack but I still want him sacked.

If he gets us promoted... great! I still want him sacked.

However I don't condone abusing him during a game or commenting on his likeness to certain vegetables etc etc

Well we've had a carrot, and a turnip, now a potato, perhaps we will have a sprout next

Belgian manager:)

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but if you aren't I am in the camp of not believing that Bruce has anything to offer this club long term.

I understand fully why we don't sack but I still want him sacked.

If he gets us promoted... great! I still want him sacked.

However I don't condone abusing him during a game or commenting on his likeness to certain vegetables etc etc

Hah!.. Noo, I was genuinely interested! Whats your reason for wanting him sacked though, If gaining promotion isn’t enough to keep him in the job? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Upon my first read I instantly took that as directed at people like me for having the opinion I have. That made me see red!

Oz don't think its any of us for one minute.....what we do is harmless.

• Like 1

Just now, Tayls said:

Hah!.. Noo, I was genuinely interested! Whats your reason for wanting him sacked though, If gaining promotion isn’t enough to keep him in the job? 

Long term! I understand the means to an end. So Bruce stays for now...... quite ok with that.

Even after gaining promotion though he is still a manager that has not style of play no long term outlook and I don't want to be under a manager like that any longer than is necessary. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villa89 said:

We have the highest wage bill in the league, have spent a fortune and have probably the second best, if not the best, squad in the league. Any semi competent manager would have us in the top two in this (terrible) league. Derby, Bristol City and Cardiff all doing better than us with vastly inferior squads. It's simply not true to say that promotion isn't/wasn't achievable. We are underachieving because we have a shit manager. It's as simple as that.

at the start of the season promotion was achievable.  with where we are now and the amount of work that needs to be done (or undone depending on your perspective) i dont believe is realistic. paŕticularly in light of our lack of fit strikers.

yes, Bruce should and could have gotten this group promoted but anyone coming in at this stage will need time to coach these players back into playing in the manner we know they can. i believe this will take longer than we can afford for promotion this season.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Oz don't think its any of us for one minute.....what we do is harmless.

I realise that now but that's why how he said what he said was quite silly but he was probably hot under the collar.

I'll cut him that slack for today. Choose your words more carefully in future Mr Bruce. Want to be manager of a big club in languishing in the championship? You better have skin thicker than a weathered old rhino!

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He never mentioned the fans directly.  His dig could have easily been at Wyness for cancelling Kev's Tenerife holiday! 

That's why if you are going to say what he said you need to make clear who it's directed at

43 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would have probably agreed with this a few weeks ago, or at least thought it was a better point. Then I sat next to the dugout for the game against Millwall, in the second half of which three 'gentlemen' sat three or four rows behind Bruce took it upon themselves to call him a 'word removed' at about 150 decibels, about 50 times each. It was all they did, all half. 

I think football fans are generally pretty poorly-placed to moan about civility. If you're the sort of person who shouts abuse at someone else in public, frankly you should be able to take some pretty mild shots back. 

Now that I don't agree with. It is absolutely pathetic.

However as a couple of others have said, might have made a difference if he was specific.

That could put things into better perspective.

However, it could also be absolutely none of that and he actually means us as is highly insinuated. 

It is not the first, 2nd, or 3rd time he has said these things, at home, away, or just in a general press conference without prompt.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

That's why if you are going to say what he said you need to make clear who it's directed at

It's probably not wise to directly mention the people you are having a dig at if they are your employers. (Or even your customers for that matter).

I think the writings on the wall for Bruce.

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It's probably not wise to directly mention the people you are having a dig at if they are your employers. (Or even your customers for that matter).

I think the writings on the wall for Bruce.

Yes it is, I rarely talk about how big a club I think we are cos it can sound wank, but I believe Bruce has shown that he can't handle the heat in the big boys game. Eg Sunderland (yes they are largish), Aston Villa and you could throw in his PL record. 

He should go and manage Birmingham again they would be happy with him and he'd feel comfortable there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

If I could be arsed, I would take the whole of this post apart but let’s just focus on the really loony bit, highlighted.

Grealish couldn't play because he sustained a freakish and really nasty kidney injury that required a long recovery period. He wasn’t “dropped”. :)

I meant today. Dropped today. Which he was and don't give me the rested line because it's bull. He's only just come back and won't be tired. Chester himself said they are very used to playing two games a week in the Championship so are very used to the number of the games. Lastly, Grealish was hardly a mainstay in the team last year and therefore I very much doubt his plan was to build the team around Jack. Especially as he has said he got Hogan in to partner with Kodjia. That was his plan once Kodjia was back to fitness. 

Edit: Just read that Grealish had an issue with his hamstring so fair enough. 

Edited by omariqy
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

I don’t know what your point is. Your original post was along the lines of “he’s got 4 promotions in 20 years, please tell me what job he gets after this one”. Absolutely any job in the league he’s in, for the same reason he got this job. 

You have now shifted to him getting a job “incredibly easily higher up the pyramid” - something which literally no-one has said.

You’ve lost the plot mate, you must slept through the last 5+ years.

As it stands we’re far from anything special and have t been for a long time.

Steve Bruce is a highly rated coach who’s party trick is getting teams promoted from this division. How does it make him so lucky to have us? If he left tomorrow he’d get a job higher up the pyramid than us in no time.

Eh???

Bruce will work in this league for sure - as for the prem I say again do tell who is giving him a job based on what he's doing with us right now?

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Despite having reservations about the manager I am still pretty confident we can get automatic promotion this season but we can't afford to have another blip like the two we have already had this season, both at the start of the season and for pretty much the whole of December.

You realize we're only halfway through the season with already two "blips"? It's rather unlikely we won't soon have another blip, in fact I'm not yet convinced we've seen the end of the current blip.

I am though pretty confident we won't be anywhere near automatic this season. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... we'll be really damn lucky to get playoffs with Bruce. The football is just insufferable, which is a crime in itself given the squad we have.

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, vreitti said:

You realize we're only halfway through the season with already two "blips"? It's rather unlikely we won't soon have another blip, in fact I'm not yet convinced we've seen the end of the current blip.

I am though pretty confident we won't be anywhere near automatic this season. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... we'll be really damn lucky to get playoffs with Bruce.

I think the current blip is hugely about the injuries, so I have sympathy. We were playing with one 19 yr old striker who started to look jaded. Now we're playing with one pretend striker. Kodjia and Terry getting injured have been huge imo. 

• Like 1

I’ve been a supporter of Bruce. I believe he is the right man for the current job, he has the CV etc.

HOWEVER

As a Villa Fan who doesn’t live in England yesterday’s match is the type of game I would have tried to have attended being in the holiday season. Bruce’s style of football is so utterly boring that even watching it on AVTV was bordering a waste of two hours, actually it was a waste of two hours.

Im hoping we’ll finish top six, maybe even promotion. Bruce will get us over the line and no more. 1-0, 2-1. Nothing exciting, noting really worth watching.

Whatever the arguments about the size of our spend relative to our opponents, i think the vast majority of fans agree that Bruce is underperforming with the squad available to him, in terms of:

- Style of play

- Results/League postion

- Failure to get the best out of his own signings. 

To my mind there aren't any mitigation or underlying issues at the club that outweigh his own failings.

He is doing a poor job and needs to go. 

The "style" of football we play is generally boring and dour. Surely our players are capableof better? I believe they are because the build up to the goal against Brentford included some lovely football. 

I would love to know what Bruce days to the players before they leave the changing room. It must be something like:

"Johnno big lad, make sure, as soon as you get the ball, you slow it down a wee bit before kicking it long towards Keinan"

"Kee, try to hold it up son and wait for the cavalry to arrive" 

"Alby and Snoddy, make sure you give Tayls and Elmo plenty of cover and you two, don't go running past the wingers as I don't want them breaking on us because Jimmy and John or Mile don't have the legs to cover for yers" 

"Connor and Josh, same to you boys. I know yer like scoring goals but remember to keep your discipline lads and hold that position deep to cover Jimmy and John or Mile"

"Remember boys, keep it tight and try yer best to take yer chances if and when they come our way - good luck all"

Edited by villarocker

Â