So what are we having tonight?

"Injuries"

"Big club. Big Pressure. Players need to handle it."

"We were in a relegation battle when I got here."

"People think I have been given millions but I haven't."

Place your bets.

Individual mistakes

He frustrates me.

What he has done during his time here is a discredit to us. He has wasted millions on players that he has rarely played or utilised. He has then scrapped his approach and signed experience players who have not been up to the acquired standard.

Interviews

During his interviews he mentions this role like it is the poison chalice, he speaks as if no other manager but himself is capable of dealing with the expectation of this role. I reckon because of this he is still at this club

Yes we are a huge club but the weight of expectation has been created by himself and it affected the players last season.  He continues to say that there is still plenty of work to do, so what has he done for the past 14-15 months?

He is negative and reluctant in most of his interviews, even when we win matches.  

Style

So what is it?

We are a defensive, counter attacking team but we have very few players capable of playing this way. We lack capable wide players so we rely on our full backs to overlap the wingers. Our central midfielders play too deep, even our most technical midfielders are deep lying players.  We relied heavily on Kienan Davis because he held the ball up to give our midfielders time to move from their deep positions and make forward runs. 

Simply this has not been good enough, our team has not been coached to a good enough standard. I think players like Hourihane, Lansbury have declined since arriving here.  

We lack expression in our play, and we do not play with any purpose.  This has resulted to our football being ineffective.

Transfers

Bruce likes the idea of good players, but the ones that he has signed shows that he does not know how to make them better  or get the best out of them.

Hogan - Hourihane - Bree- Lansbury -Bjarnason -Taylor  -Johnstone - Onomah - Snodgrass - Samba -Terry- Elmohamady - Whelan.

As well as our previous signings we are now in the s*** with FFP because of some of these signings. 

A lot of Bruce signings have been uninspiring with the exceptions of Hourihane, Terry and Taylor.  

Our signings do not look like it has been part of a long term strategy of building a team that can not only play to a style but capable of playing at the highest level in this country.

Can we trust him next week when the transfer window opens?

Summary

Steve Bruce created this illusion that we were in the worst position and that only he could stop the "Rot". I actually do not think we was in a rot, our management made some poor decisions and we were paying for it.  By stopping this Rot ( He calls it), we play this defensive smash and grab style of football whilst Kodjia saves our season and we finish 13th. 

He continues to mention that we have not had stability at this club and we are better off with him as our manager because he has four promotions, yet there is no improvement to our players or tactics. Keinan Davis and Adomah emerge as our top players whilst Terry rallies everyone and we are now promotion contenders. Ultimately this has not been a solution nor this has shown any signs of a long term plan,  he has merely papered over the cracks that highlight his insufficiencies as a modern day manager. Recently Bruce has made his last throw of the dice by bringing Steve Agnew to buy him some more time at this football club but it may be too late for him.

We are not getting promoted this season under Steve Bruce. It is that simple,  we do not score enough goals and we do not create enough chances.  We are very ineffective and we struggle against the top 8 sides in this league. 

The management i.e Wyness need to take responsibility for this and I believe that once Bruce is inevitably sacked, he should not play any role in finding a new manager.

Edited by Reivax_Villa
  • Like 3

Â