Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Interesting that prior to match the view of Villatalk was :-

"This is a home banker, no if if or buts its a routing home win"

Then when we win its "Ah yeah  but we didn't play very well"

To be fair most people are posting we didn't play well but the main thing is we won. 

You will have certain fans that will never be happy as long as Bruce is manager but id say the majority although don't rate him, acknowledge he is currently delivering. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Truth, however I must say I notice when Grealish came on, he was almost trying to force a passing game.

He was. You can tell he wants to play the game in a certain way and it's probably because he is quite comfortable in his own ability to do it. 

I know some fans think he should start. Eventually I'm sure he will. I personally think as long as we are winning games it's the correct decision to have him on the bench. 

Edit: to keep it on topic I think Bruce is managing him ok.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Interesting that prior to match the view of Villatalk was :-

"This is a home banker, no if if or buts its a routing home win"

Then when we win its "Ah yeah  but we didn't play very well"

Odd. Neither of these summerised opinions seem to reflect the views I’ve read on her pre or post game.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I am not going to even attempt to big SB up.....but we all know what he is in terms of style.....but equally, we all know what kind of players he has always had at his disposal.

i don't think he is as daft as some think.....but he is limited in what he can do with what he has got.

I know and we all know, that he could play more expansive than what we do, but do we really know, what effect that would have on results.....we seen attacking football under RDM and we know how that ended.

I am not sure we have the players to play the game some want us to play.....not yet anyway.

I don’t think people are expecting expansive football though, that isn’t what I’m talking about when I’m critical of how we play and I don’t think it’s what others are talking about either.

Nobody expects us to play like Man City But our retention of the ball is really really poor and there is no sign of it improving. 

That in ability to retain possession can and often does put us under pressure in games particularly late on when it possibly could be reduced by us keeping the ball.

You day he hasn’t the players to play this way, I’m not really so sure about that. You say yourself the way we are playing is Bruce’s style and that I agree with.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t think people are expecting expansive football though, that isn’t what I’m talking about when I’m critical of how we play and I don’t think it’s what others are talking about either.

Nobody expects us to play like Man City But our retention of the ball is really really poor and there is no sign of it improving. 

That in ability to retain possession can and often does put us under pressure in games particularly late on when it possibly could be reduced by us keeping the ball.

You day he hasn’t the players to play this way, I’m not really so sure about that. You say yourself the way we are playing is Bruce’s style and that I agree with.

Fundemental Problem for me is still the off the ball movement. It's the main reason we lose possession so much. There are never enough options. its 3-4 passes then ball in to the box or given away. 

That has to be down to coaching. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fundemental Problem for me is still the off the ball movement. It's the main reason we lose possession so much. There are never enough options. its 3-4 passes then ball in to the box or given away. 

That has to be down to coaching. 

I agree and I’ve seen nothing to suggest it’s being worked on in training because there is zero signs of improvement.

If people aren’t bothered about that, if they don’t think we would be a better side and more capable of controlling games then fine, I respectfully disagree with them.

I’m just growing a little tired of the views of those who do being misrepresented as expecting glorious free flowing football. 

Bit right now Bruce’s way is working for us, all credit to him. I just think we could and possibly should be a better side than we are with the players we have in terms of using the ball, I’m not demanding 1970’s Brazil.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I agree and I’ve seen nothing to suggest it’s being worked on in training because there is zero signs of improvement.

If people aren’t bothered about that, if they don’t think we would be a better side and more capable of controlling games then fine, I respectfully disagree with them.

I’m just growing a little tired of the views of those who do being misrepresented as expecting glorious free flowing football. 

Bit right now Bruce’s way is working for us, all credit to him. I just think we could and possibly should be a better side than we are with the players we have in terms of using the ball, I’m not demanding 1970’s Brazil.

Under Bruce we will be a team that can counter really well and in numbers. He is very similar to MON in that he buys and picks players with individual skill and hopes that will be enough. At home is where I worry as we need to beat the teams above us at home and I can't see us breaking those teams down the way we play. 

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Another good result but...

Bruce’s approach to the game will just never ever be for me, I despair at our inability to use or retain the ball under him.

I hope he gets up and then we say thanks and move on without him in a different direction this summer.

I know its not the best but rather have that then have us score and then concede goals in the last ten minutes and drop points each week.

Im hoping that bruce wilk take us up then he will get offered anofher job, england or the states wherever. But i certainly wont feel confident staying up if we went up this year in the premier league with bruce in charge. 

12 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Under Bruce we will be a team that can counter really well and in numbers. He is very similar to MON in that he buys and picks players with individual skill and hopes that will be enough. At home is where I worry as we need to beat the teams above us at home and I can't see us breaking those teams down the way we play. 

Yep I agree with that. 

7 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I simply ask myself

Why would anyone want to be shit when they can excell ?

Where has this genius been all my life.

This morning I quit my job and I've decided instead to become a millionaire because you know, I want to 'excell'

• Like 1

I've only seen the Sky Sports highlights so far and listened to the god awful AVTV commentary with my ears pressed against the speaker.

It looks like they had one chance and scored and we had a few chances that probably should have been tucked away? Does that sound about right?

Bruce has acknowledged we didn't play well and the fact that the same team played only a few days before may have played into that but if we go on and beat Ipswich this weekend that is an excellent way to bounce back from the disappointment of Sheffield Wednesday.

If we maintain our form of 22 points from the last 10 matches for the rest of the season we will obviously be promoted automatically, but it will be surprising if we maintain that form of results whilst maintaining this level of performances.

If we do, I’ll certainly look back and think “wow, I did not think it would be possible to get promoted out of this league ahead of quite a few decent footballing teams playing like that.” I hope we can though, as I don’t see the style of play changing drastically.

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

If the rumours are true that Bruce will have funds for a striker in Jan - thats a big test for him. Historically - not just at villa he hasn't been great at signing strikers

If this is true I reckon Hernandez will be almost certain. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Bruce has acknowledged we didn't play well and the fact that the same team played only a few days before may have played into that but if we go on and beat Ipswich this weekend that is an excellent way to bounce back from the disappointment of Sheffield Wednesday.

I've heard him acknowledge this several times this season already. Empty words, just to keep the fans and media 'happy', because it's so painfully obvious for all to see. The thing is he doesn't actually seem too bothered about it, otherwise we'd surely start to see more consistency in the performances. The fear is, as it's been ever since he was appointed, sooner or later these lackluster performances will catch up, and we'll start to drop points, home and away. If we want to keep the good results going, we simply have to do better from a footballing perspective. We're riding high at the moment, but too me we still don't play with any great deal of confidence. Every week I feel we are just one terrible result away from totally losing momentum. 

Bruce deserves full credit for our current form. However, there is no way we'll maintain these results the way we play, that is blatantly obvious, looking at the better teams in the division. We've already dropped vital points to our biggest promotion rivals, and the more upper half teams we face, the worse it'll get.

• Like 3

Bruce got numerous teams promoted from the Championship playing exactly the way we are playing now.  Championship is a results game, not playing a good football game.  If you made me choose now i would say we will be promoted automatically playing like this.

Also may i add, playing like this is why Bruce cant cut it in the premiership.  You need to be able to play football there to survive.  He will need to go if we are to push on in prem.   Hence why i am looking at the bigger picture of next season and persevering with this season.      

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I've heard him acknowledge this several times this season already. Empty words, just to keep the fans and media 'happy', because it's so painfully obvious for all to see. The thing is he doesn't actually seem too bothered about it, otherwise we'd surely start to see more consistency in the performances. The fear is, as it's been ever since he was appointed, sooner or later these lackluster performances will catch up, and we'll start to drop points, home and away. If we want to keep the good results going, we simply have to do better from a footballing perspective. We're riding high at the moment, but too me we still don't play with any great deal of confidence. Every week I feel we are just one terrible result away from totally losing momentum. 

Bruce deserves full credit for our current form. However, there is no way we'll maintain these results the way we play, that is blatantly obvious, looking at the better teams in the division. We've already dropped vital points to our biggest promotion rivals, and the more upper half teams we face, the worse it'll get.

Is it? Maybe you have better eyesight than the rest of us then.

It's apparently been blatantly obvious for months and yet, we keep winning.

• Like 1

Â