Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

For me this league is just somewhere you get out of by hook or by crook, performance really doesn’t matter at all, just get up.

Then once up it’s more of the same to avoid the drop, you need to be getting to a place where the likes of WBA, WHU or Stoke are where you can start layering it with a brand or a style of play.

I believe Bruce has a squad capable of getting out of his league and come the end of the season we’ll be into the lottery of the play offs. It would be madness to roll the dice again now considering just how many awful managers (in terms of results and performances) we’ve had over the past 5 years.

The squad is capable but Bruce is not.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

I can understand coaches coming in for stuff, but some of what i see, is the responsibility of the player himself Imv.

I am not so sure on that mate.

I think Bruce picked the right team, the one debatable pick was Hutton and as it turned out he was easily our best player.

That was absolute tripe tonight and whilst acknowledging Wolves are a decent team we made them look better than they are by failing to compete. It was nothing to do with how we set up I just think the players didn't apply themselves, aside from Hutton, in the right manner. We were sloppy in possession and failed to close them down certainly in the second half.

Sending a team out in the right formation is half the job and a manager has to send them out with the right game plan and at the very least have them giving 100%. If one or two don't I'd blame the players, when it is 7 or 8 then you look at the manager.

I still think this is a very good squad Bruce has assembled but he has to consistently get them to perform and we now need an instant positive reaction. If we win next week then that will be 1 defeat in 10 and we can see this as a blip. If we don't then doubts have to again set in.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Not only that, he's a "special advisor" to the Chinese owners Fosun.  And Nuno isn't his only client at Wolves either.  That £16m midfielder, Neves, is on the list.  Jota, scorer of the first goal and on loan from Atletico, is another.

You can see the pattern already...

I'm a bit jealous, but I also hate modern football.

They are clearly breaking rules but they are too small time for anyone to give a shit.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

So this game was a pretty good example of why Bruce likely isn't the man for the job. We looked pretty poor all match. Really had no chance at winning this match. 

We can't keep coming out every single match with the same tactics and same formation and expect it to work on every team. Maybe the lower table clubs we can keep doing that, but we have to change up how we play especially on the road when we play very good clubs. Wolves' 3-4-3 destroyed us defensively and offensively. They had the ball in our half basically all match, and whenever we got the ball, they chased and put pressure on us very well. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You only hate it because it keeps leaving us behind!  I hate it too.

Some people are still annoyed by the fact that we have leather seats in the dugout, squirm at the thought of stadium sponsorship, kit tweaks, "Tippy tappy" football and would be mad if we signed the next Messi because he once had a DUI.

We also need the "Old Boy stability" because Manchester United wanted Fergie out at one stage etc.

It is 2017, and alot of our fans and culture are still in 1983.

So there you go.

It is depressing to look at Tottenham, Everton and so on, teams we were neck and neck with at one point.

Tottenham have just had record attendance at Wembley, and will be moving into a modern stadium, which alot on here would say is a "soulless cauldron".

It is much deeper than this, but I hope you get my point.

We are being left behind again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Genie said:

For me this league is just somewhere you get out of by hook or by crook, performance really doesn’t matter at all, just get up

It does matter though. History tells us that the teams with the best chance of survival are those who get automatic promotion. Going up through the playoffs means you are much more likely to go straight back down. 

With the money we have spent we should be one of the top two teams in this division. No excuses. 

• Like 2

On a personal level I like Bruce in interviews etc he comes across as a nice bloke and I hope he will lead us to promotion I believe he can ,he is a functional manager he has massive experience and is a safe pair of hands but he doesn't excite me it's all about results and I believe we will make playoffs at least this year and he could very well lead us to promotion but if we do get to the Premier League and we do belong there and belong in the top half with it at the very least ,but we will not achieve it under this man a young progressive manager who can get us playing football where we mind the ball and attack with pace is what's needed to get us back to where we belong  I am not a Bruce hater far from it but I would still see us better served with a fresher footballing mind and tonight's game against Wolves only confirmed that for me .

10 hours ago, TRO said:

I think it takes time to get a team playing the way you want.....and that depends on who you inherit and who and how many you need to bring in.

We have had a mess to sort out and that is why we have the manager we have.

This league is also a physically demanding league that requires players who can function in it.

I understand that many of our players have played in the premier league and have to acclimatise to that and deal with it, we have just won 4 games on the bounce albeit against lowly opposition and that was evident the way they physically man handled us.

my view was when we play the better teams, we will be allowed to play more and exhibit our reputed skills......so you can possibly understand, that i felt as low as a snakes belly watching that.....

we don't pass, we stretch and poke it in to someones feet, its poor....we panic balls to each other, there is no composure, from one week to the next.

something is wrong with us.....it was substandard play today.

there are times when i watch us and think they ( the players)have only seen Bodymoor heath on a post card.

I agree with most of this TRO, but Bruce has had more time and more money than Nuno but on that performance he has them playing football that Bruce will never achieve if he stays 10 years. 

9 hours ago, Genie said:

The table and last 10 games suggest otherwise.

Why do you keep saying the last 10 games?  We drew against a team in Brentford who were bottom three, drew against 10man borough, then beat four poor teams. At no point did we control those games, we just got the breaks.

As I remember saying back then, you cannot “luck” this league, at some point you have to find some form of playing style, we don’t have one.

You seem to have bought into the argument we are an average championship club, we are not but are being managed that way!

Â