Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

47 minutes ago, Junxs said:

It was interesting Sky had a little pop up stats box after Forest equalised, showing that the number of goals we concede in the first 15 minutes after half time was something like 6, compared to all other 15 minute periods there was nothing over 2. 

There is clearly an issue directly after half time. 

Maybe the players are coming to after the half time Bruce w@nkfest? 

45 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Worrying about whether we can win the playoffs may be overthinking things a bit. ;)

Bruce has won playoff finals twice with other teams so are you thinking he has forgotten the tactical awareness he had then?

Championship football has changed since then chap this is the problem. It used to be you could have a team full of grafters, an you could get in the play offs even promotion. Now, the winners in this league have more tactical ability, an managers who know how to use this ability to beat an control the lesser teams. This is unfortunate for us, as we have the technical players, but have a dinosaur of a manager who batently has huge tactical limitations.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

How was it irrelevant?  It's the whole reason I'm confident. You can disagree all you like but I stated my reason if I'd left it as we'd go up. I'd understand you questioning it but I stated the reason and I also said getting there is the biggest issue for me as individuals can't turn it on every game. You seem to think we won't get in the playoffs yet haven't stated why apart from saying we are 9th. We are 2 pts off 6th. We will probably be in the top 6 by next Saturday night! 

I don't think we will get to the play offs because I think the club is run poorly, we have far less quality in our squad than a lot of people seem to think and we have a manager that plays turgid, defensive football.

Your earliet point about us having individuals that can do it one off games still doesn't work for me as other clubs could say the same. Especially if they have finished in the top 6. And who are these individuals? Kodjia and......? What is it about us that makes you think we are some how superior? Because I haven't seen anything at all to suggest that since we have been in this division.

Edited by One For The Road

19 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

You say 'the type of football he plays means that he just can't produce results over a prolonged period of time'. That's factually incorrect. 

Not sure how you worked that out.

Is 12 months and 44 games not a prolonged period of time? Did he produce the desired results in that time?

But I guess his promotions with other clubs as far back as 2002 are more relevant.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Championship football has changed since then chap this is the problem. It used to be you could have a team full of grafters, an you could get in the play offs even promotion. Now, the winners in this league have more tactical ability, an managers who know how to use this ability to beat an control the lesser teams. This is unfortunate for us, as we have the technical players, but have a dinosaur of a manager who batently has huge tactical limitations.

It really hasn't changed that much, yes there are slight changes in tactics, but nothing op much. Which manager currently has his joint third, equal points with the top 2? He's the epitome of an old style manager.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I honestly can't believe so many people are offended by me calling men who won't take their dad to the football because they can't be arsed, meaning he can't go at all even though he wants to, dicks.

That is dickish behaviour.

My dad was very restricted in his mobility towards the end of his life. I'd have walked over hot coals if it helped him do stuff he wanted to do. I can't imagine stopping him doing something he wanted to do because I found it a bit boring. 

If @villabromsgrove wants to go to the football and the only thing stopping him is his sons can't be arsed because they find Bruce's football boring, then they are acting like dicks.

It's probably not best to tell someone their sons sounds like dicks. 

But I agree that's it pretty s**t that not even one of them can take @villabromsgrove to the game regardless of how they feel about it. 

No offence @villabromsgrove but I don't think you can really blame Bruce for that one. 

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

That " give us a wave " chant is more cringe inducing than a Villa throw- in .

Sheepy....That is a desperate shout, if I may say so.

The throw-ins you may have a point, but lets stay positive ay!

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

If he got us promoted and was keeping them with the same budget players he might....

We were talking about clean sheets, don't be distracted by everything else.....if its good for the goose, its good for the gander.

plus....we haven't not got promoted yet.....because its not possible, until the end of the season.

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

We were talking about clean sheets, don't be distracted by everything else.....if its good for the goose, its good for the gander.

plus....we haven't not got promoted yet.....because its not possible, until the end of the season.

excluding last year, of course.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Not sure how you worked that out.

Is 12 months and 44 games not a prolonged period of time? Did he produce the desired results in that time?

But I guess his promotions with other clubs as far back as 2002 are more relevant.

You say that he CANNOT produce winning football. That's patently untrue as he has a strong track record of doing precisely that in the championship, including taking Hull up only a few months before joining Villa. So whatever the shortcomings of his time here, and there have been several, it is still fundamentally not the case that he has no idea what he is doing and lacks the ability as a manager to get the job done. 

1 hour ago, wiggyrichard said:

I would rather stick with for 1 more year and get prepared to go up, than shuffle and change things to rush up and get made to look like arseholes....AGAIN!!!

Were bigger & better than being a yo-yo team surely?!?!

Do you honestly believe Bruce would keep us up? Good heavens his football is turgid now - can you imagine what it would look like if he was trying to keep a team up. No I'm afraid the bigger picture remains for me and that looks like a new man at the helm 

• Like 2

I have thought we would be better without Bruce for a long, long time.  I fear greatly that he will fail to get us promoted.  Having said that, he is winning and getting points.  He should stay as long as that continues.

However, He has made a series of poor decisions and blunders ever since he came.  He had us setting up far too deep at the start of the Forest match and again after half time.  I will agree that his line-ups and subs have made much more sense in league games lately.  But why on earth it took him months to see what was obvious to rank amateurs on a fan forum is baffling to say the least.  I still don't think he's using Hourihane, or Lansbury at their best, and HE BOUGHT THEM.

I will confess that my desire to criticize him increases greatly every time he or a poster on here pretends that his critics are hysterical, or over-reacting, or naive, or taking too big a risk, or not good fans, or hurting the team, or impatient.  Perhaps my biggest pet peeve are those who pretend it's a risk to replace him and safe to keep him.  There is a significant risk he will fail to get us promoted.  I know, I know, 4 promotions... but 12 failures to get promoted is an equally valid observation, (I'm not positive that count is right and I'm willing to be corrected... but it's close) It's also annoying that people think anywhere in the top 6 is good enough.  IMO, it's not.  Top 2 or the risk is too great.  There's a 75% chance of failure at that point.  75% chance of failure is not a wheel I want to spin.  Not when better performances could turn that 25% winning chance into 100% !!  Performances I think we are capable of making if managed well.

If we don't go up this season, I think it's long-term devastation to the club.   So, TODAY, I'm OK with him staying.  The question is, will we revert to what we were doing all of last season and the early matches this season?  If any of us knew the answer to that question, we could make a lower risk decision.  I wish more would honestly admit that they don't know the answer to that question.

TBF, his critics that ignore the fact that we're putting 3 points on the board and that matters, annoy me too.

Maybe I'm just easily annoyed these days.  I Blame Bruce for that  :)  Or maybe TRO  ;) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Do you honestly believe Bruce would keep us up? Good heavens his football is turgid now - can you imagine what it would look like if he was trying to keep a team up. No I'm afraid the bigger picture remains for me and that looks like a new man at the helm 

I know what your saying mate, I really do!! And half of me agrees!  But what I’m trying to say, is all the chopping and changing not going to make things worse? I’m asking the question mate?! Personally I think the ‘quick fix’ approach will not pay dividends in the long run! I know we all long to be back in the big time, but if it’s only for a season then what’s the point?? We will not go down under Bruce, but when we eventually get back up, he & half the playing staff are sadly NOWHERE near good enough to keep us in that division!!

3 minutes ago, wiggyrichard said:

I know what your saying mate, I really do!! And half of me agrees!  But what I’m trying to say, is all the chopping and changing not going to make things worse? I’m asking the question mate?! Personally I think the ‘quick fix’ approach will not pay dividends in the long run! I know we all long to be back in the big time, but if it’s only for a season then what’s the point?? We will not go down under Bruce, but when we eventually get back up, he & half the playing staff are sadly NOWHERE near good enough to keep us in that division!!

So surely we should cut and run now then ? 

53 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

You say that he CANNOT produce winning football. That's patently untrue as he has a strong track record of doing precisely that in the championship, including taking Hull up only a few months before joining Villa. So whatever the shortcomings of his time here, and there have been several, it is still fundamentally not the case that he has no idea what he is doing and lacks the ability as a manager to get the job done. 

No, the more I watch us, the more I see Hull, Wigan and the Noses.  Tactically inept, static and reliant on individual flashes of brilliance to scrape results.

If that is what constitutes "winning football" then do enjoy

• Like 1

Â