Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've given my honest opinion, and if others think it's "guff" then that's fine.

Wagner has a clearly explained football philosophy which is finely detailed. I call that "a plan".

"Bruce was (is) a nice bloke" in the overwhelming opinion of the media. Apart from "the arm around the shoulder" style of man management  (his words originally which I've recycled) I don't think he has a lot more to offer.

I'm not bothered about "I told you so's", I'll just continue to give my opinion. I'm not particularly bothered about being right, as long as Villa goes in the right direction.

Well to be fair Steve Bruce has had a plan too, whether its to everyones likeing is a completely different argument.

He said his first task, phase 1 if you like, was to stop the rot and create some resilience, make us hard to beat.....then when the time is right, which is of course debatable, is to start to play more expansively, which i think is now.phase 2

now if you thinkt that is a load of Bar lux thats fine.

but that sounds like a bit of a plan to me.

if it all turns to pot, then fine.....new man.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dick said:

Only on the occasions where we fluked a draw.

Which one

• Hull
  • Bristol
  • Brentford
  • Middlesbrough

and conceded 2 goals.

Edited by TRO

Enjoyed the Barnsley game and I'm feeling really confident about the next few, but my God this hugely unlikable man we unfortunately have for a manager makes it bloody hard to get behind him. 

I think I'm just going to pretend we don't have a manager till he's gone. Watch the games and make sure I don't listen or read anything this lying, dishonourable, self protecting fool says from now on  

And to think some have let themselves be tricked by him and continue to do so. 

• Like 4

I'll be going against the grain here a little but I don;t have any problems with what he said today. Keith Wyness said something similar back in March in regard to how they hadn't initially realised how deep rooted the issues were at the club and how it was going to take time, and some stability, to turn things around.

I have noticed that some have alluded to what he said when he arrived in regard to promotion still being the aim. I wouldn't hold that against him as he had just stepped through the door and wouldn't really have a clue as to how bad things really were and was just trying to give the whole place a boost and be positive. He is right though that losing had become a habit, that we had won 5 games in 18 months, that we hadn't won away from home for 14 months. We hadn't just been  relegated we went down we 17 points the culmination of half a dozen years of battling relegation. The problems were deeply ingrained and the first task was to stop the back sliding.

Having said all of the above we are now 11 months down the line. Two transfer windows down the line and whilst he has more than balanced the books in terms of fees he has still spent a pretty penny in fees and wages and can have no complaints in that regard. For what it is worth I think he has assembled a very good squad but he now has to get the best out of it and get results consistently. If, as he stated, last season was about stopping the rot then from now on it has to be about being positive, going into every game to win it and ultimately getting us promoted this season. If after the next three games that looks to be unlikely then he has to go.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Do you put a bet on when the horses nose is close to the line?:)

I can see you're on a wind up TRO - your memory may be failing you but all my posts at the time were supporting the signing of Wagner. If we had done so I'm convinced we would be a PL team again now 

9 hours ago, TRO said:

I'm not caving Stevo, but you can only defend a manager so much.....Gelling and time to blend is a legitimate claim, but it can only be valid for so long.

I think we have a 4-4-2 line up that should get us promotion on paper.....but we must apply ourselves in order to fulfill those expectations.

• 11 Fully committed players
  • No passengers
  • A bench that is impressive and competitive
  • A desire to win the game in hand
  • A togetherness that is apparent
  • A work ethic that is tangible
  • players chasing lost causes
  • players winning aerial balls to gain the assertion/upper hand

Only then will the reputations on paper manifest itself in to good results.

Bruce out. TRO in.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dick said:

I was acting my name tbh, don't take life so seriously. Enjoy what Dick does to you, Dick likes to play.

No need to be anti climactic, He was just pointing out your phallusy.

• Like 1

It's really good to hear that we will play more expansive and with two strikers. However what he says just puzzels me.

If he wants to play 4-4-2, why did we use the whole pre season to work on a 4-4-1-1? And how come that he now thinks that the squad is capable of playing 4-4-2 and more expansive, compared to a month ago?

• Like 3

The most irritating part of that press conference today was him saying we were second bottom when he took over. 

Where the hell did he get that from? And seeing as it's just not true, why say it if you don't know? Just hoping that noone checks or remembers?

I was willing to give him more time almost but I'm definitely taking a big dislike to his personality. Stand up and take responsibility without coming out with all this nonsensical guff to cover your tracks. 

It's been very poor so far under Bruce's entire regime. We've barely ever been unlucky under him but got away lightly on so many occasions with backs to the wall and/or Kodjia magic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

It's really good to hear that we will play more expansive and with two strikers. However what he says just puzzels me.

If he wants to play 4-4-2, why did we use the whole pre season to work on a 4-4-1-1? And how come that he now thinks that the squad is capable of playing 4-4-2 and more expansive, compared to a month ago?

Dunno. It!s a real puzzle, isn't it? Manager tries a system. It doesn't work too well. So tries something else. This is unheard of in the entire history of football.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Because kodjia is back and snodgrass has arrived were the reasons he gave yesterday along with the emergence of Davis 

Edited by Eastie

54 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Steve Bruce has a habit of making it up as he goes along, in all areas of management by the look of it!

His comments about the past and re-writing history are bordering on funny. Also, timescales, 6 months is not 11 months Steve. Second bottom Steve? No we weren’t. Battling relegation and staying in the league the focus? Come off it!

Then he has the audacity to get his back up after being criticised by fans, the man is a baffoon. Treating the fans with contempt and as though we’re stupid. 

I’ll support him while he’s manager for the good of the club and getting results, until the powers that be see otherwise. He’s just not a manager I can like unfortunately. 

From a distance I thought he always seemed a decent bloke ; however in recent weeks that opinion has changed considerably .

• Like 3

Â