Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

wha?

Did you even read the post you quoted?

If so how could you miss the very clear context of what it said?

But never mind as I'm clearly hysterical.

25 minutes ago, vreitti said:

This comparison seems rather pointless, seeing as RDM only ever had the 11 games with us, whereas Bruce has already overseen +40 games. In that amount of games one would have hoped he'd have been a significant improvement, but sadly that hasn't been the case. 

So you've moved the goal posts? 

It's not a great way to make an argument.  You selected the criteria in which to compare two things and then just shoved another 30-odd games after it's been debated that in actual terms, Bruce's record could be significantly better than RDM's at the end of the initially selected criteria. 

If that's not fair, then I'm not sure what is :lol: 

31 minutes ago, vreitti said:

This comparison seems rather pointless, seeing as RDM only ever had the 11 games with us, whereas Bruce has already overseen +40 games. In that amount of games one would have hoped he'd have been a significant improvement, but sadly that hasn't been the case. 

It's not pointless when the OP was comparing the start of last season under RDM with the start of this season under Bruce.

I agree there is context that makes the direct comparison difficult. I stated in my post I don't think bruce has started well enough.

My only point was that if the next few games go well, which is by no means a certainty, you'd be hard pushed to argue that the start to this season is as bad as RDM's, context or no context, which again is what the OP was arguing.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He's played 3 games less lol

Am I missing something here?

You're missing the very different circustances of their respective tenures.

With 1 more loss the most SB could achieve would be 16 and my opinion is hes more likely to be on 14 after 11 games. 

Considering how much more time and resouces SB has had compared to RDM he should have us on 24-26 points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not Bruce's biggest fan at the moment.

But the next 3 games are pretty winnable.

So once Bruce has played the same amount of games as RDM had, he could have a record something like

Played 11, Won 4, Drawn 5, lost 2 with 17 points.

(of course he could have much worse than that, I'm being optimistic)

Whether that's good enough is debateable. I'd argue probably not. But you'd be hard pushed to say it's not a significant improvement on RDM's

Yeah but you missed the opening line where i say if he loses one.

After losing one the best he could have is 16 and 14 is probably more likely.

10 vs 14 - yeah if both had started in similar circumstances and only been in charge for 11 games thats a big difference.

Problem is SB has had nearly a year in charge, more resources to use and started with arguably a much better group of players than rdm did.

With that context 4-6 points is not enough progress to think SB has achieved more than rdm and should keep his job.  If he has anything short of 19 he should be sacked.

• Like 2

Just now, flashingqwerty said:

Yeah but you missed the opening line where i say if he loses one.

After losing one the best he could have is 16 and 14 is probably more likely.

10 vs 14 - yeah if both had started in similar circumstances and only been in charge for 11 games thats a big difference.

Problem is SB has had nearly a year in charge, more resources to use and started with arguably a much better group of players than rdm did.

With that context 4-6 points is not enough progress to think SB has achieved more than rdm and should keep his job.  If he has anything short of 19 he should be sacked.

I think the verdict is we should probably wait for Bruce to play 11 games before trying to compare it with RDM's 11 games, as opposed to comparing hypothetical situations.

The only hypothetical that should lead to SB keeping his job is 4 wins on the trot.  Thats the only one thats gets us close to where we should be to be a promotion challenger.

Anything less then he has failed and should be removed to give the next man a chance to salvage this season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

The only hypothetical that should lead to SB keeping his job is 4 wins on the trot.  Thats the only one thats gets us close to where we should be to be a promotion challenger.

Anything less then he has failed and should be removed to give the next man a chance to salvage this season.

In our next 4 games we play Forest and Wolves, both will be pushing for top 6 - Wolves automatic promotion I assume.

So it's unlikely that we'll win 4 on the trot, and it's unlikely that should we not win 4, then SB would be sacked. 

I think you're going to be disappointed when SB is still here after 4 games.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

See this is just OTT for me.

Our start hasn't been good enough. But if bruce wins 3 and draws 1 of the next 4 games you'd be calling for him to be sacked? 

The season doesn't end after 12 games. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

See this is just OTT for me.

Our start hasn't been good enough. But if bruce wins 3 and draws 1 of the next 4 games you'd be calling for him to be sacked? 

The season doesn't end after 12 games. 

But, that sounds reasonable. High running emotion dictates an absolute position only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Did you even read the post you quoted?

If so how could you miss the very clear context of what it said?

But never mind as I'm clearly hysterical.

4 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

One more defeat this month for me makes SBs start to the season as bad as RDMs (because he has had 2 windows, a preseason and 40+ games to get it right)

Should he lose another, i believe that should be the end of his tenure here.

For comparison:

RDM 10pts from 11 winning 1, drawing 7, losing 3.

SB 10pts from 8 winning 2, drawing 4, losing 2

Considering the players signed and the amount of games hes had to get it right, SBs record isnt an awful lot better...

He's played 3 games less lol

Am I missing something here?

There you go, what have I missed?

50 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

You're missing the very different circustances of their respective tenures.

With 1 more loss the most SB could achieve would be 16 and my opinion is hes more likely to be on 14 after 11 games. 

Considering how much more time and resouces SB has had compared to RDM he should have us on 24-26 points.

I fail to see your point.

It's you that decided to compare RDM's 11 games against Bruce's 8 thus far this season.

If people want to try and highlight how badly they think he's doing then at least do so on an even keel.

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I fail to see your point.

It's you that decided to compare RDM's 11 games against Bruce's 8 thus far this season.

If people want to try and highlight how badly they think he's doing then at least do so on an even keel.

Comparing raw numbers isnt any more even than comparing circumstance.

If you look at any random 11 games versus any random 11 games that isnt fair just because its 11 games.

SB has had far more than 11 games to prepare for this season so comparing his first 11 this season to RDMs first 11 with none prior is the epitomy of unfair.

Thats why i say given the circumstanes surrounding SBs forst 11 this season and RDMs first 11 them SB should be expected to outperform RDM significantly.

For me that means 19 pts from 11 games.  Anything less and i believe we should cut him loose because he hasnt shown anything on or off the pitch to suggest he is capable of achieving anything here.

I wouldnt go as far as to say he haa done as badly as di matteo. He was a disaster. How many times were we conceding in the last 10 mins? He coukdbt win back to back. Also he humiliated us in the cup against luton town.

He was one of the worst ive seen. Id put him in the sherwood catergory. Bruce is underachieving but far better than those two losers.

43 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Comparing raw numbers isnt any more even than comparing circumstance.

If you look at any random 11 games versus any random 11 games that isnt fair just because its 11 games.

SB has had far more than 11 games to prepare for this season so comparing his first 11 this season to RDMs first 11 with none prior is the epitomy of unfair.

Thats why i say given the circumstanes surrounding SBs forst 11 this season and RDMs first 11 them SB should be expected to outperform RDM significantly.

For me that means 19 pts from 11 games.  Anything less and i believe we should cut him loose because he hasnt shown anything on or off the pitch to suggest he is capable of achieving anything here.

I think it's unfair that you're comparing the specific circumstances you chose (which originally was 11 games vs 8).

Surely we can only compare the results fairly if we played the same teams, on the same day, with the same match preparations, fed the players the same breakfast, tied their boots up the same, made them listen to the same pre-match music, with the same hormonal and chemical composition, brain function and put them on the pitch in the same order. 

Otherwise you're wasting everyone's time. 

1 hour ago, clip on mullet said:

What team do you think Bruce will start with tonight? Personally I would like to see some game time for McCormack, Elphick and Hogan. 

I'm going for this.

Steer 

Bree Clark Elphick de laet

Gabby Landsbury Doyle-hayes Bjarnson

Hogan McCormack

Thoughts?

Your likely to get more response to this in the pre match thread but your team is not far off - I'd play o hare though  , and samba not Clark . 

Edited by Eastie

4 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Decided to read back through the thread like others suggested because we've just won 3-0 and I now think Steve Bruce is the MAN! I wavered but now we have won a game I am right behind him. I'm not fickle or anything like that. Now we have won a singular match and are midtable, we are on the up. The pundits were right all along. English dinosaurs are the way, we'll catch Nuno/Wolves easily. Kebabs all around !

Oh, thanks for letting us know. 

Edited by NottingVilla

Â