Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

14 hours ago, Dave J said:

To be perfectly honest with you - I'd be very surprised to hear any villa supporter say that in their heart of hearts they don't still consider us as being one of the top six clubs in the country - too many years of mis - management of the club have clearly led to our current predicament but this is still ASTON VILLA we're talking  about and although we cannot pretend not to be where we are - the dream, clamour, desire, expection to return to our rightful place still burns strong - so I do kind of think GH is right imo 

Okay cool, well prepare to spend many, many years being hugely disappointed in the stature of your football club.

I on the other hand will take pleasure out of beating Barnsley et al.

10 hours ago, striker said:

Or simply they had a far better manager who would imo have gotten Villa promoted if he had been Villa manager.

I don't think anyone would have got us promoted last season but that's just my view.

Our problems run very deep and continue to do so to an extent.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 3

One more defeat this month for me makes SBs start to the season as bad as RDMs (because he has had 2 windows, a preseason and 40+ games to get it right)

Should he lose another, i believe that should be the end of his tenure here.

For comparison:

RDM 10pts from 11 winning 1, drawing 7, losing 3.

SB 10pts from 8 winning 2, drawing 4, losing 2

Considering the players signed and the amount of games hes had to get it right, SBs record isnt an awful lot better...

59 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

People who talk about hysteria have absolutely no clue what they are talking about, and that includes Steve Bruce himself. There is no hysteria. This is a club with massive expectations and rightly so, we are not your typical Championship club who should be content to just potter around and maybe 'challenge' for a top 6 spot, we are still a club with incredible pull relative to other in this league, we have spent an absolute fortune on players in terms of transfer fees and wages, so criticising a manager for finishing 13th last season and for having us sitting bottom half this season is not 'hysteria'. It is, and should be, part and parcel of what comes with this job, because guess what? Bottom half is not good enough. It is simply inexcusable given the resources that have been made available and our obvious objective of automatic promotion.

The only hysteria is on this site

2 minutes ago, London Villa said:

The only hysteria is on this site

I do not enjoy watching Bruce's negative style of football, and I'm regularly disappointed by his team selections and our results since he's been here, as they're simply not good enough with the players we have available. I believe that he was the wrong managerial choice for the task ahead.

Frustrated yes .... Hysterical no.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

One more defeat this month for me makes SBs start to the season as bad as RDMs (because he has had 2 windows, a preseason and 40+ games to get it right)

For comparison:

Considering the players signed and the amount of games hes had to get it right, SBs record isnt an awful lot better...

Even if he loses one more game, it isnt quite as bad as RDM, he would need to lose his next 3 games in a row to match RDM. Just saying.

I am not Bruce's biggest lover but even I can see that his next 3 games are all very winnable. Playing two of the teams that are south of the table.  As a fan of Villa and not as a fan of Bruce he needs to be given an extra month to see how things turn out. Removal of a manager at this stage of the season isnt going to be great and we dont want to look the blouse do we!?  

Wouldn't it have been great if Bruce over the last couple of weeks had decided not to react to the criticism and just got on with the job. He inadvertently has fuelled more criticism. You only have to read this thread to see that.

Of course that's very hard to do but it's the difference between a statesman and someone who just can't take criticism.

• Like 4

On 11/10/2016 at 23:28, NottingVilla said:

Bruce likes flair 'skill' players, he likes footballers. He's not a defensive clogger merchant.

Decided to read back through the thread like others suggested! This absolutely cracked me up bearing in mind who posted it! Just a few months later, Bruce is a dinosaur and we should've gone for nuno or slutsky (who's doing fantastically well at hull btw). 

1 hour ago, RimmyJimmer said:

It's not the fact that fans who want him out are idiots, thats not what I'm saying. It's the over the top reaction to everything that is idiotic. Yes if you want him out...fair enough, but name calling, hoping the team lose etc is idiotic. If he's had insults hurled at him, which I imagine is highly likely, then he is well within his rights to say something back.

I try and look at the big picture. We've had about 40 new players arrive at vp in a little over 2 years, we have 2 players who has been here through it all...gabby and hutton!! Thats hardly much to build on is it? Time is what is needed not more change. Yes some of the football has been awful, but bruce has the experience to get us up the league. To compare us to other clubs and managers is unrealistic. Every situation is different. We have been awful year after year for 6 years, add to that the mismanagement of everything off the pitch,  you then have a huge mess to sort out. If it took 6 years to get us into that mess then its not going to be turned around in 12 months.

I'm not denying that there has been some over reaction, I guess to some extent that comes with the territory in football. I think he's had enough time, but you make a valid argument for stability. 

Time will tell Jimmy and I don't care who's ultimately right or wrong just so long as The Villa are successful. UTV!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

For comparison:

He's played 3 games less lol

Am I missing something here?

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Okay cool, well prepare to spend many, many years being hugely disappointed in the stature of your football club.

I on the other hand will take pleasure out of beating Barnsley et al.

I enjoyed the win, but don't take much pleasure in beating the likes of Barnsley. If you are happy to spend many, many years lording it over the likes of Barnsley et al in the lower divisions, fine by me - I aspire to better things for my club.

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

For comparison:

I'm not Bruce's biggest fan at the moment.

But the next 3 games are pretty winnable.

So once Bruce has played the same amount of games as RDM had, he could have a record something like

Played 11, Won 4, Drawn 5, lost 2 with 17 points.

(of course he could have much worse than that, I'm being optimistic)

Whether that's good enough is debateable. I'd argue probably not. But you'd be hard pushed to say it's not a significant improvement on RDM's

Edited by Stevo985

22 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

I've just been watching the post Barnsley interview with Bruce.

He managed to mention `mass hysteria' twice.

Attacking the fans and talking about mass hysteria is indicative to me of a manager who knows he is failing and does not know what to do about it.

Yes well it's working as a few on here are uncritically parroting the same phrase.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not Bruce's biggest fan at the moment.

But the next 3 games are pretty winnable.

So once Bruce has played the same amount of games as RDM had, he could have a record something like

Played 11, Won 4, Drawn 5, lost 2 with 17 points.

(of course he could have much worse than that, I'm being optimistic)

Whether that's good enough is debateable. I'd argue probably not. But you'd be hard pushed to say it's not a significant improvement on RDM's

This comparison seems rather pointless, seeing as RDM only ever had the 11 games with us, whereas Bruce has already overseen +40 games. In that amount of games one would have hoped he'd have been a significant improvement, but sadly that hasn't been the case. 

• Like 3

Â