Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, peterms said:

You seem to have misunderstood his meaning completely.  Listen to the interview.  He says we're in crisis, boring and horrible to watch.  He says it ironically, to suggest that the people who say such things are divorced from reality.

and he'd be right. 

Truth is we're somewhere in between. He didn't gloat at all about the result.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes we are, we're bigger than any club he has managed and there's a different level of expectation here, a level that he cannot deal with properly. Take the blinkers off.

Yes, as I have said earlier in this very thread, he has repeated many times that he's waited all his career to manage a club like ours. He's waited all that time because we are a big club. 

If you manage a big club whoever they are you will ALWAYS get criticism and some of it quite vocal if you are massively underachieving, especially when playing unattractive football. 

If he wants to hang around in the lower half of the table and feel no heat and be immune from criticism , Aston Villa is not the right club for him. 

I am sure right now Bolton would welcome a manager with open arms who could consistently deliver 13th place in The Championship table. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, striker said:

Stating 'that maybe this will shut a few people up' and sarcastically mentioning 'crisis' at the club again won't do him any favours at all with fans or pundits. Obviously the criticism has got to him but his players had already spoken for him on the pitch so no need for the vindictive smart arsed remarks.

Its a real pity that he didn't just speak with grace and thank the fans for the tremendous support they gave him and the team tonight and left it at that. No need to score more than the three points gained!

Agree with this striker. Bruce must realise he has lost a lot of faith round here due to his results. Those that want to keep him here are only doing so because they believe he can still deliver those results. It's not personal (in most cases anyway).

Im in the camp that he is still our best option to go up this year, but this did leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

He will get nowhere if he tries to turn this into a battle with the fans!

Ill put it down to stress, but please no more of this mr. Bruce!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I'm glad we won, I hope we push on and climb the table and its a nice feeling to enjoy your weekend again after a villa win but is a 0-3 win against Barnsley really all it takes for people to stick it against those that want Bruce out? If we go on a decent run then by all means, Bruce can begin to feel a little more confident but let's not kid ourselves that this result is the one that secures his position. Yes it could help us turn a corner and I hope it gets us back on track and yes I am glad and happy we won but it really was just an away win at Barnsley. I'm not getting too excited just yet 

Totally, if that becomes the norm under Bruce instead of the exception then fair play, Steve Bruce's claret and blue army. BUT it's one game in which again we only really had a decent 45 minutes, and even then a counter attacking decent 45 minutes. There are a heap of 40 odd shit 90 minutes that vastly outweigh it at the moment, restoring the balance would mean promotion and in that case then Bruce will be a hero. 

So 1 down, 40 to go. If we aren't bothering the top 3 by new years though, he's still a failure in my eyes, so lets wait and see how we go. To be safe he needs to win another 4 out of the next 6 IMO.

• Like 2

I'll preface this by saying I still want Bruce out.

But the bitterness in here from some posters because we won and a few people have complimented Bruce is incredible.

People are genuinely gutted that we won.

pre international break, I remember looking at the 6 league games and thinking - we need 14 from 18 to get us back towards on track for the points per game ratio that has us in the mix. 4 wins and 2 draws. we've already done the 2 draws, now to meet that minimum victories against forest, burton and bolton are essential. Do that - and prove the ability to win consecutively for a proper run again, and then I might be minded to review our capabilities for the season, but it will depend on how we play. 

But this whole, "well if we can do this more often, then fine" shtick has been done many times in his reign already, but there inevitably is a fairly swift block to those aspirations. So whilst pleased with a win yesterday, I am really not confident 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

No one is 'gutted' that we won.

No one will admit it, sure.

But you can tell some people would have preferred us to lose yesterday.

Edited by Stevo985

40 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I fully agree with you - it's akin to a certain footballer who hadn't scored for yonks and then has the audacity to put his fingers to his lips when he finally does score - anyway in all fairness a great result yesterday - but in no way does it expunge the absolute dross he has served up in the last year and Stevie  - you will do well to remember this is ASTON VILLA we're talking about - we are doing you the favour not the other way round 

obsessed.

Hi Mark,

As always a calm perspective from you

14 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

It is the first game I can remember under him where I thought we actually had a game plan which was to allow Barnsley to have the ball and then spring quickly from the back when we got it.  

Perspective is always how one sees it.

However, I have a real problem with the BOLD.

We are Aston Villa - they are Barnsley.

DrT has intentions of promotion, Barnsley have intentions of rebuilding their squad whilst remaining in the CH.

Maybe I can excuse/understand letting them come at us for the first 10mins or so with the intent to frustrate them and their home support. But after an opening period surely we must be strong enough to impose OUR will for the game. If only to get our confidence & momentum on the up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Hi Mark,

As always a calm perspective from you

Perspective is always how one sees it.

However, I have a real problem with the BOLD.

We are Aston Villa - they are Barnsley.

DrT has intentions of promotion, Barnsley have intentions of rebuilding their squad whilst remaining in the CH.

Maybe I can excuse/understand letting them come at us for the first 10mins or so with the intent to frustrate them and their home support. But after an opening period surely we must be strong enough to impose OUR will for the game. If only to get our confidence & momentum on the up.

I have no issue with what we did yesterday through the whole game as it worked a treat sucking Barnsley forward then springing quickly. It reminded me of how we used to play under O'Neill. We could have easily had another couple yesterday and our chances were spread through out the game which to me showed we played the right way through out.

That tactic won't work in a lot of games though and certainly is unlikely to work at home but it is one I think we can have success with again.

Â