Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

The thing is the key difference yesterday was we had a striker holding up balls(even long ones, allowing other players to get up the field and in to the game). Maybe that's he has always wanted to play and Gabby, Hogan etc if showed in training they can play that role. Then on the pitch they have failed. 

Just a thought. 

Btw we still hardly had any possession so let's not carried away and say yesterday was good football. It was very effective in bursts I would say. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jareth said:

The most welcome thing about yesterday for me, was that the team didn't fold when Norwich got it back to a goal away, twice, and that they went on to take the win in style - this after Cardiff and Reading. We have needed to find another way, since Kodjia/Jedinak has been injured and I believe this has to be it. What does this come down to? Has to be the quality of the players recruited, combined with having settled in - Whelan and Hourihanne were unrecognisable yesterday. Again, I don't see this as being within Bruce's gift to affect positively or negatively - so I bloody hope we have seen the last of 'typical Villa'. Hopefully Bruce is less afraid now he can see what the players can do. 

Yep, fully agree. Hopefully they are settling in now and can feel the confidence returning. I do worry about the fact that this may just be the perfect storm of missing players and the players picked finding their feet despite Bruce but as soon as the others return then Bruce will just go back to his old ways. In really hope he doesn't. I hope he sees this as the wake up call that we all see it as. I do actually like the bloke so if he can get us and himself going well again I'll be well happy.

Edited by Ingram85

Next Friday night will tell us plenty. We need to back ourselves. We are better than Bristol City and i don't mind saying that  but we can only approach that mindset if we are willing to work and play football and stop talking and thinking about it. We took action yesterday. They nearly lost at home to Millwall. Go there,  outplay them,  outwork them. .win the game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I find it amazing that people are criticising Bruce after yesterday. Football is an entertainment sport, yesterday was one of the most entertaining we've had at Villa Park for a good long time. Can't people just celebrate for at 24 hours at least, before we go back to the abuse.

And i find it amazing that 1 good game seems to have erased the memory of the shit that preceded it.  

I'm not criticising him for yesterday. I'm criticising the fact the previous 40 games have been shit. 

31 minutes ago, av1 said:

And i find it amazing that 1 good game seems to have erased the memory of the shit that preceded it.  

I'm not criticising him for yesterday. I'm criticising the fact the previous 40 games have been shit. 

I think the point of the original post was can we be happy for 24 hours. Not forgive Bruce of all his sins. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

So only seen highlights, how did the team play yesterday? Was it good football? 

In many ways it was still Bruce football with men behind the ball and not much possession. Apart from a few incidents on our left side they didn't do much with the ball so the possession stats are misleading. We were very direct when we had the ball with the catylst being Davis (sorry if spelt wrong) ability to boss their defence, hold the ball up, and bring people in to the game. Some of these moments were the slickest moves I've ever seen under Bruce so that was encouraging. Midfields were trying to get forward whenever they could with Whelan covering. 

I think because Norwich tried to play through us but didn't have the quality it really helped us play in a counter attacking style. Tactically Norwich got it all wrong. 

Hourane was clinical with his finishing. We created a lot of chances. 

Now to keep it on topic Bruce reacted to take Hutton off but really he shouldn't be started. Overall he got it right. 

Hope this helps :)

• Like 3

What has worried me most with SB is how inconsistent we've been and our away form. We both had one of our best and one of our worst spells of form in years under him last season. That tells me that he can get us playing but also that he can become bereft of ideas making us look like a disorganized mess. Our away form has been truly awful and if we can fix this we'll be in a much better state.

Let's hope we build upon this result. As one of you wrote, and it was what I reacted to most as well, we didn't lose ourselves after conceding twice yesterday which is something we've been having massive amounts of trouble with for a very long time. This was hugely positive and a very good sign of much needed confidence.

I really hope SB has seen what we all have seen and continue with this setup next league game. I would like us to dominate games more but I think that will come with time if we continue getting results. We just have to not duck and cover at the first signs of setbacks. Still reserved on my opinion about SB but yesterday was a fantastic game and thoroughly entertaining for once. Let's steamroll this league. UTV!

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

The most welcome thing about yesterday for me, was that the team didn't fold when Norwich got it back to a goal away, twice, and that they went on to take the win in style - this after Cardiff and Reading. We have needed to find another way, since Kodjia/Jedinak has been injured and I believe this has to be it. What does this come down to? Has to be the quality of the players recruited, combined with having settled in - Whelan and Hourihanne were unrecognisable yesterday. Again, I don't see this as being within Bruce's gift to affect positively or negatively - so I bloody hope we have seen the last of 'typical Villa'. Hopefully Bruce is less afraid now he can see what the players can do. 

I think it was more to do with the players being played in their proper positions.

And if Bruce has learned from it we may yet be promoted with him. Friday will be very illuminating.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the point of the original post was can we be happy for 24 hours. Not forgive Bruce of all his sins. 

Mate i came away from Villa park yesterday with a massive smile on my face because my team won. All I'm saying is that I've seen enough of Bruce to know that i no longer want him as our manager, and yesterday doesn't change that. 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Mate i came away from Villa park yesterday with a massive smile on my face because my team won. All I'm saying is that I've seen enough of Bruce to know that i no longer want him as our manager, and yesterday doesn't change that. 

24 hours have passed now anyway ;)

46 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

So only seen highlights, how did the team play yesterday? Was it good football? 

Not sure I'd say it was great football, but they certainly showed more attacking intent. Hurihane and Lansbury (when he came on) played much further forward. And because Davis held the ball up so brilliantly we looked far more threatening. 

Just had a thought after watching the extended highlights.

As much as Kodjia is undoubtedly a brilliant striker. How many of those passes would he have made, releasing other players like our attackers were doing yesterday?

Some of the passing and link up in the final third was very good.

I actually think alot of those laid on the plate passes would have been outlandish shots from Kodjia instead of the easy pass.

Definitely food for thought.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just had a thought after watching the extended highlights.

As much as Kodjia is undoubtedly a brilliant striker. How many of those passes would he have made, releasing other players like our attackers were doing yesterday?

Some of the passing and link up in the final third was very good.

I actually think alot of those laid on the plate passes would have been outlandish shots from Kodjia instead of the easy pass.

Definitely food for thought.

Probably. But a lot of those would have made it to the back of the net as well. Davis will be healthy competition, but there are 666 reasons Kodija's a beast of which 19 are goals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Next Friday night will tell us plenty. We need to back ourselves. We are better than Bristol City and i don't mind saying that  but we can only approach that mindset if we are willing to work and play football and stop talking and thinking about it. We took action yesterday. They nearly lost at home to Millwall. Go there,  outplay them,  outwork them. .win the game.

If we can't win away from home we will never get promoted. If we can't beat Bristol City, we have forgotten who we are. We should be able to beat every team this season when at full strength, I know we won't, but with our squad we are as good or better than everyone.

The surprise however is the defence, it was solid last season but looks shaky this term. This is what Bruce needs to get rock solid.

Edited by thunderball

16 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Bristol City will pave the way forward, a loss an all the negativity will come flooding back.

As I said previously. huge pressure on Bruce now!!

I think the last Tweet from Tony indicates they will be looking for alot more than just 1 games results as well.

Â