Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I'm still convinced it will click come the opening game. We aren't miles away. I'm confident we are going to win the league. 

Wish I had your optimism, I realised the moment we signed Terry and they said we were only after 3 more (Johnstone, Elmohamady and Whelan) that was exactly what we didn't need. I said in the Terry thread at that time we should be going for creative players, people jumped on my back.. I said we were crying out for proper wingers. Apparently preseason was supposed to fix everything. 2 games against league 1 sides and we haven't made the keeper make a save in 180 minutes. Just 1 penalty.

• Like 2

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Given that he has signed midfielders and not improved the midfield, what reason is there to think he will improve it in the coming weeks or months?

good question.

Nothing can be certain until its fixed then hindsight is the exact science we are all looking for to tell us.

You could buy 3 defensive midfielders that are all good.....all played well for their previous clubs.....put them in together and nothing all trying to do the same job and the job of attacking  goes not done that then has a knock on effect to the forwards

converesly you buy 3 attacking midfelders all good and put them in the same team...., they are all trying to defend and can't, so don't do their own job......jobs go not done..similar result Imbalance.

I am convinced that is the crux of it......that is what I believe is our fundamental problem

He needs the right personnel to fix  it.

Whelan could make a difference and I think Elmo will help.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Why buy two of the more creative, goal scoring midfielders in the championship, then sit them as holding midfielders totally stifling them?

I know this is what I find most puzzling and if he persists with thus crap he will be sacked as we won't be scoring enough goals

Edited by Demitri_C

It's okay lads. Tony will save us with his next appointment! I'm sure he can find someone else who can't manage, but who has glowing academic qualifications because having an MBA is such an important criterion for a job like this. 

Or perhaps Wyness, if he's not still banned from football for making derogatory remarks about disabled people on Twitter, and his trusty side kick Steve will save us with another appointment from the Stone Age. 

Bring on Alan Curbishley. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Why buy two of the more creative, goal scoring midfielders in the championship, then sit them as holding midfielders totally stifling them?

What the f@*k has he done to Hourihane?

• Like 1

Know it's still pre-season, but I am very concerned. I have seen little to no improvement on what we were producing at the end of last season. 

Bruce's last excuse was that he needed a pre-season with the players. Time is running out fast and we need a big improvement to get close to the playoffs, let alone the automatic places.

Also question the merits of going to Germany for a tournament of 40 minute matches. What is the point?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Wish I had your optimism, I realised the moment we signed Terry and they said we were only after 3 more (Johnstone, Elmohamady and Whelan) that was exactly what we didn't need. I said in the Terry thread at that time we should be going for creative players, people jumped on my back.. I said we were crying out for proper wingers. Apparently preseason was supposed to fix everything. 2 games against league 1 sides and we haven't made the keeper make a save in 180 minutes. Just 1 penalty.

These creative players you talk about.....we already have.

Its someone to win the ball and pass it to them we haven't got...

Grealish/Adomah/Green/Kodjia/McCormack/Hogan/Agbonlahor/Lansbury/Hourihane/Davis/RHM.......They should be good enough to mount a challenge.

I understand your point but I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

with the exception of Kodjia who plays like a lone wolf and relies on no one.....all the others need service.....Lansbury and Hourihane are not natural Ball winners, but they are filling to do that job and leaving the one they are good at unattended.....because someone has to do it.

We need cover for Jed or another one and not just have to rely on one in a squad.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

because when Jed is out......there is not another one on the books who can do it......thats why they look like a shadow of themselves.

We need Whelan or someone like him in NOW.

14 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I can see where you're coming from and I can see why people are concerned. 

I'm just weighing it up against the positives as I see them. I think we'll get off to a good start and go on to have a great season. We've got the players and I think Bruce will get it right. 

• Like 1

It really does tickle me how we have a bloated squad to form, I don't know 3 or 4 football teams

and one recognised Ball Winner in all of it......and sadly his presence in the team is sparse for various reasons.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its someone to win the ball and pass it to them we haven't got.

Grealish/Adomah/Green/Kodjia/McCormack/Hogan/Agbonlahor/Lansbury/Hourihane/Davis/RHM.......They should be good enough to mount a challenge.

with the exception of Kodjia who plays like a lone wolf and relies on no one.....all the others need service.....Lansbury and Hourihane are not natural Ball winners, but they are filling to do that job and leaving the one they are good at unattended.....because someone has to do it.

We need cover for Jed or another one and not just have to rely on one in a squad.

I'm not so sure we have the creative players we think we have tbh!

If we take tonight's game as an example we had plenty of the ball but once we got close to goal there was nothing. If we had the players then surely we would see an element of imagination, a spark, that could encourage us that if we could get forward more we would be fine.....I think we all know this is not the problem.

A simple through ball will work wonders at this level or a quick 1 2, we pass it slowly around the edge of the area then just hopelessly throw in a cross.

itmay be enough to grind through this league....but it's definately not going to be pretty....or easy on the old ticker!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its someone to win the ball and pass it to them we haven't got.

You seriously think theres enough creativity in the side?

You are contradicting yourself, if you think we have so many creative players.. then how on earth can you defend Bruce so much with the negative dross he serves up every match. You can't say its the players if you think we have 10 amazing creative players to choose from!

Tonight Taylor or Amavi would put a cross in and we'd only had Hogan in the box against 5 Walsall players, either our players are being told to not take risks or they are not attack minded enough. You can't have it both ways.

Anyway from that list you put out above I only see one natural senior winger.

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

You seriously think theres enough creativity in the side?

You are contradicting yourself, if you think we have so many creative players.. then how on earth can you defend Bruce so much with the negative dross he serves up every match. You can't say its the players if you think we have 10 amazing creative players to choose from!

Tonight Taylor or Amavi would put a cross in and we'd only had Hogan in the box against 5 Walsall players, either our players are being told to not take risks or they are not attack minded enough. You can't have it both ways.

Anyway from that list you put out above I only see one natural senior winger.

I have just listed them?

are you saying they are not up to it......we are not getting the best out of them, due to the imbalance.

I didn't say its the players in the context you put it......Its the balance thats not right IMO

nothing to do with balance. players lose all creative juices because of style of play. We are playing League 1 sides(not good ones) and a defensive midfielder is not needed in such games. Just another excuse for the management at this stage

• Like 2

I don't think I have ever been more perplexed by a manager's plans. At least I could tell what Lambert and Mcleish were trying to do, no matter how shit it was.

I have no idea what Bruce is trying to implement, how he is trying to set us up, how he expects us to win games, and achieve our aims.Clueless.

• Like 3

Â