Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Well according to the press....SB will be backed 3/4 players will be sought and he will have the money, c 10 will be moved on

• Centre Back
  • Attacking Midfielder
  • Striker
  • Winger

seems what they are lining up.

Bring it on.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Is that a default quote, because hindsight is an exact science?......would you have said that at the start of the season?......and also how can you be sure it wasn't many other factors that won them promotion.

just a thought.

Well since Newcastle were being managed by a very good manager then yes I would and Hughton is also highly rated. I expected Newcastle to win the Championship with Brighton at least in the playoffs as did many others.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Well according to the press....SB will be backed 3/4 players will be sought and he will have the money, c 10 will be moved on

• Centre Back
  • Attacking Midfielder
  • Striker
  • Winger

seems what they are lining up.

Bring it on.

It seems that the fears of having no money were a little premature. Let's hope we spend it well and complete the team. 

I think I'd prefer we were going for a Jedinak back up/replacement than another striker though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:
  • Players with a winning attitude
  • A team with a togetherness, all for one and one for all.
  • Players that are willing to put their body on the line for their team mates. 
  • Players willing to move and create options. 
  • Players who can pass the ball to a corresponding shirt
  • Players with belief in themselves and impose that on their opponent
  • Players with the ability to beat a man and wreak havoc
  • Players who can read a game and defend a winning position
  • Players who can deny the opposition the ball.

and most importantly of all.......A great big smile on their faces:)

and many more, but I got bored.

And these factors have nothing to do with the manager?

• Like 4

I would say 99% of players in the Cgamponship have those abilities.

I certainly don't see many of our best 15 players lacking much of them and can't agree with those who think our players are poor.

So I'd say it's almost ALL down to a Manager to get those things happening.

Thankfully Bruce has done that in the past, and showed signs of it here - only signs though. So there is hope, and, IMO, enough reason to give him a go.

But, as I said above, all those things will need to be on show from early on, together with points, else he'll walk the plank.

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

It seems that the fears of having no money were a little premature. Let's hope we spend it well and complete the team. 

I think I'd prefer we were going for a Jedinak back up/replacement than another striker though. 

Not for me - it's the Championship, not the Champions League, IMO Bruce has already overdone it on the need for a holding Midfielder - fine, as Jedi is good at it use him for it when fit, but let's not go searching for another one. 

We need creativity, and goals- woefully short on both last year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:
  • Players with a winning attitude
  • A team with a togetherness, all for one and one for all.
  • Players that are willing to put their body on the line for their team mates. 
  • Players willing to move and create options. 
  • Players who can pass the ball to a corresponding shirt
  • Players with belief in themselves and impose that on their opponent
  • Players with the ability to beat a man and wreak havoc
  • Players who can read a game and defend a winning position
  • Players who can deny the opposition the ball.

and most importantly of all.......A great big smile on their faces:)

and many more, but I got bored.

I think you'll find its in the managers DNA as to  whether these factors are witnessed in there teams once they have crossed the line- aka Big Ron for example.

for me Bruce does and always will play with the hand brake on.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

..and worked a treat for us last season!

Funnily enough, a club that had been on a downward spiral for 5 seasons, culminating in a near-total meltdown at the end of 2015/6, and had sunk to 19th in the Championship after 11 games last season, couldn't get promotion.

Bit of a puzzle perhaps for those who think management is just about waving a magic wand and getting a magical turnaround in results, but not so much of a teaser for the rest of us, I suspect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Funnily enough, a club that had been on a downward spiral for 5 seasons, culminating in a near-total meltdown at the end of 2015/6, and had sunk to 19th in the Championship after 11 games last season, couldn't get promotion.

Bit of a puzzle perhaps for those who think management is just about waving a magic wand and getting a magical turnaround in results, but not so much of a teaser for the rest of us, I suspect.

Virtually no positives to take from Bruce's reign so far, doesn't bode well at all. An ultimately unsuccessful push for play offs would be have been a good indication of things to come, however we got an unacceptable 13th place finish. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Virtually no positives to take from Bruce's reign so far, doesn't bode well at all. An ultimately unsuccessful push for play offs would be have been a good indication of things to come, however we got an unacceptable 13th place finish. 

42% win rate says hi

10 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

And got us a dismal season when we really needed (and expected) promotion.

I think anyone who expected promotion last season after the dismal start made by di Matteo needs a reality check.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

That comes over as a sort of "glass either half full/empty but I'm ignoring the presence of any liquid and pretending it's totally empty" comment.

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

That comes over as a sort of "glass either half full/empty but I'm ignoring the presence of any liquid and pretending it's totally empty" comment.

Your arguments come over as 'head in the sand'.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Neither of us are arguing that.

19 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

And got us a dismal season when we really needed (and expected) promotion.

No, I can see the idea of expecting promotion was never raised. ;)

Â