Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Elphick at CB tomorrow

Leave Jedinak in midfield and his natural position i like how solid the midfield is when he's in there

Elphick is slow but we should see off Wigan by more than 1 goal i would have thought

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Elphick at CB tomorrow

Leave Jedinak in midfield and his natural position i like how solid the midfield is when he's in there

Elphick is slow but we should see off Wigan by more than 1 goal i would have thought

Bruce has already said Jedinak will continue there mate.

8 hours ago, Nigel said:

Not all great defenders needed pace! Positioning and reading of play are far more desirable attributes, both of which he seems to posess.

Only time will tell if he can adapt them to the new position but I think he has it in his locker

I agree there is a tendency to over emphasise pace in all positions, particularly at either end of the pitch. But it's a more than handy attribute if you have it. I mean Gabby and Micah Richards both have it and they are.......ok I get your point!

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree there is a tendency to over emphasise pace in all positions, particularly at either end of the pitch. But it's a more than handy attribute if you have it. I mean Gabby and Micah Richards both have it and they are.......ok I get your point!

They are actually good examples. Neither have the footballing ability to really play at the top level, and yet because of the physical aspects of their game they've managed to carve out decent premier league careers. 

• Like 2

I think Jedanik at the back is a natural progression based on his age and strengths. He will not lose many headers and with his reading of the game should be able to spot the little runs from his time playing in midfield. This move could add 3/4 years onto his career.

• Like 1

Chester & Jedi should be an OK partnership in this division, they ought to complement each other. No long term solution thou.

No idea how the club work behind the scenes on individual players, but I hope much of the Jedi training :D is focused on agility, fitness and movement so that he can avoid injuries and maintain the moderate movement he still has.

And using the force of course...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Chester & Jedi should be an OK partnership in this division, they ought to complement each other. No long term solution thou.

Just have to get us out of this division!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

Oh come on, Defenders absolutely have to have pace. Where would McGrath have been without his lightning turn of pace? 

or Bobby Moore

58 minutes ago, sne said:

The problems I see here is

1) who plays DM this season? HL & CL dropping deeper is not good

2) Baker, unless we buy, needs to grow in this league if he is to be considered for PL

When Bruce gets us promoted to PL

Nice interview with Steve on Footie Focus just. Said all the right things as far as I am concerned. Knows he has to get the club promoted, knows it isn't realistic this season although there is still a chance. He also referred again to the state the club was in and that there are small shoots of recovery and that things are getting better.

Was good to see Dion back at Bodymoor Heath too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

The problems I see here is

1) who plays DM this season? HL & CL dropping deeper is not good

2) Baker, unless we buy, needs to grow in this league if he is to be considered for PL

When Bruce gets us promoted to PL

If he is going to play Jedi at CB then Gardner has to play with Hourihane and Lansbury. If he got 4-4-2 then we are ****, it means Lansbury and Hourihane will be deeper and less effective and it also means that the wide players get dragged narrow as we are a man short in the middle which then exposes the full backs and stops them getting forward. The opposition gets more balls in the box which exposes Johnstone's flaws. 

Kodjia and/or Hogan will get no service and start coming deeper for the ball eventually.

4-4-2 is a shit system and I wish Bruce would stop going on about it.

• Like 1

However it would also help with the Kodjai isolation problem...which would hopefully then help the goalscoring problem.

Its something that definately needs to be tried out now we have this extended pre season!

Kodjia

Disclaimer - I love him and he's our nr 1 goalscorer so is a stick on.

But - he creates a problem.

He is very good creating out of nothing especially in this league, but is not an allround "lonestriker" (a la Drogba). Him coming in from the wing would be fantastic if he wasnt so "lazy" and would roam "around" a lone striker. If Hogan is McC mkii then we'll have the same selfish problems and isolation through lack of movement, add the loss of a man in MF then we'll only dominate the weak teams.

I think we need a striker/Nr10/AM who can supply Kodjia rather than expect him to tailor his game for a main striker. McC got frustrated with him, I wonder how Hogan will get on with him?

More to the point, is Bruce astute/flexible enough to get some thing out of

1) Kodjia as a lone striker

or

2) Kodjia & Hogan as a 2 or 3 up front

Edited by Grasshopper

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Nice interview with Steve on Footie Focus just. Said all the right things as far as I am concerned. Knows he has to get the club promoted, knows it isn't realistic this season although there is still a chance. He also referred again to the state the club was in and that there are small shoots of recovery and that things are getting better.

Was good to see Dion back at Bodymoor Heath too.

Some one must have the means to upload this as I'd quite like to see it.

55 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Some one must have the means to upload this as I'd quite like to see it.

https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/843070100768874496

Little clip on Twitter (again the embedding hasn't worked for some reason I don't understand)

Edited by Lichfield Dean

Full backs at left and right midfield , CM at Centre back 

remind me again how we have the right man for the job

ok , the season is dead and we are experimenting but I expect to see Hogan in goal after 45 mins on current form 

Â