Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

14 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Honestly, I'm really not hung up on us appointing any particular manager right now, he's just a suggestion and not a bad shout imo due to several factors e.g. young, hungry, proven, available now, no nonsense...

Eventually, I would love us to have a bright, brilliant & truly clued up man at the helm (maybe Rowett could prove to be that, he would appear to have a positive future in the game) but we have to be realistic as to who we can bring in now and who would come here imo. I really don't want us to waste time now as disaster is fast approaching and we desperately need to act. Of course, it's all up to those figures who are running the club and we would hope they know their stuff, have done and will do their research and make the right choice - I really hope they are not going to keep waiting now...

We need to arrest this horrific slump and Bruce is clearly not the right man for us. I say once again, it just hasn't worked and is not the right fit, all the evidence is there and has been for weeks. Things don't always worked out as expected, but you should always keep trying to do better no matter how drastic the action may seem...

I am not against Rowett, I'm not against any manager, because I have no idea WHO is going to turn this around.

Its all just speculation.....just like me speculating that I think SB will turn this.:mellow:

Still here? FFS

Only realistic thing (can't see where a win is coming from) that would make me feel any better now is Bruce Out!!

Wake up every morning in the faint hope that he has been moved on but continue to be disappointed...

If we get shot of Bruce now, we simply must make sure it is the last change for the forseeable future. For me the replacement must meet at least 6 of the following criteria:

• Proven track record in the championship (to get us out of it)
  • Proven track record in the premier league (to keep us in in)
  • Defined 'style of play'
  • Ability to handle pressure from and expectations of fan base
  • 'Big' personality - in the mould of Ron Atkinson, John Gregory etc
  • Willing to work and develop current squad with little further investment
  • Ability to promote and develop youth players to enhance squad
  • Proven success in the transfer market when needed

Not that this is a concise list, but clearly even looking for a candidate that meets only 6 of the 8 requirememts, there are not too many names that fit the bill when you break it down. 

Unless we can find such a candidate, is there really any point replacing Bruce? 

Edited by ViewFromT2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I am not against Rowett, I'm not against any manager, because I have no idea WHO is going to turn this around.

Its all just speculation.....just like me speculating that I think SB will turn this.:mellow:

Completely entitled to your opinion & POV mate but why do you think he will turn this round (anytime soon) when we keep being let down week after week and having to endure this suffering? It really has been long enough and any reasoning or excuses just hold less and less value now.

I don't intend any offence or anger toward anyone but we are going through a massively frustrating time and it's difficult not to appear enraged and fed up. Even if we managed to pick up a result from somewhere I do not trust this guy going forward, we need to change it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mykeyb said:

You know you come on here and sometimes it's very difficult to comprehend how a poster you normally agree with 95% of the time can have such a starkly opposite viewpoint to what you hold. A couple of years ago Richard was fulsome in his praise of Lambert while I and lots of other posters really thought his race was run. Similarly TRO has a viewpoint on the current which he staunchly believes in while I am struggling to find any positives with Bruce at all. It's possible we are both wrong and somewhere in the middle lies the true measure if the man. Strange game this football.

Where my view point differs is this.

• You seem to blame Bruce directly for what we are witnessing on the pitch
  • I only Blame him indirectly

I believe he is trying to turn this around and is not happy like us with what he is seeing.....Hence " give him time" 

There is a difference between  knowing what your doing and getting the reaction you want......That does not seem to be digested to me.

I don't believe that he doesn't know what he is doing, but he is not getting the reaction that he wants, so he is using "trial and error" .......isn't that a common method in life when theory lets you down.

These players are Human beings first and football players second.....They are not doing what he is asking, for whatever reason, lack of confidence, etc

If thats what he gets removed for, then so be it.....but thats it for me.....to say he is clueless I disagree.....FWIW I don't think the previous managers was  clueless either, I think its a throw away comment, because we are/were losing.

Ps whatever we was doing under them or what we are doing now.....is not working, I will agree on that.

Edited by TRO

The Samba situation is a perfect example of a Bruce dropping another clanger and he knows it.

Look at our defense, it's tiny!  Chester, Elphick, Amavi, Bree, Richards - all sub 6ft!  Only Hutton and Baker are of a reasonable height (not giants mind) and you can't rely on either because ones too injury prone and the other's a positionally inept waste of time.  When we had Benteke and to a degree Gestede, we had a big guy we could bring back to help defend those situations.  We don't even have that now (you could maybe argue Kodjia, but to a much lesser degree).  Right now, i'd say Jedi is our only decent threat/defense aerially and that's pathetic.

Ask any proper defender about the golden rule when it comes to defending long balls, corners, free kicks etc - DON'T LET THE BALL BOUNCE IN THE BOX.  Newcastle was a prime example of what happens when you do.  But how do you stop that happening with midgets (pardon the exaggeration)?

We should have signed a big imposing centre half (and kept Gestede) but we didn't and now we're scraping the free-agent bin trying to rectify the sorry situation.

We need to bottom out before we can move forward again, I think most people thought relegation to the Championship would constitute rock bottom for us but I fear it is not.

Man City, Southampton, Leicester, Norwich etc all had to get relegated to the 3rd division in order to rebuild, whilst the thought of Villa playing in the 3rd division depresses me greatly I can't help but feel that it's what we need.

• Like 3

Just now, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

The Samba situation is a perfect example of a Bruce dropping another clanger and he knows it.

Look at our defense, it's tiny!  Chester, Elphick, Amavi, Bree, Richards - all sub 6ft!  Only Hutton and Baker are of a reasonable height (not giants mind) and you can't rely on either because ones too injury prone and the other's a positionally inept waste of time.  When we had Benteke and to a degree Gestede, we had a big guy we could bring back to help defend those situations.  We don't even have that now (you could maybe argue Kodjia, but to a much lesser degree).  Right now, i'd say Jedi is our only decent threat/defense aerially and that's pathetic.

Ask any proper defender about the golden rule when it comes to defending long balls, corners, free kicks etc - DON'T LET THE BALL BOUNCE IN THE BOX.  Newcastle was a prime example of what happens when you do.  But how do you stop that happening with midgets (pardon the exaggeration)?

We should have signed a big imposing centre half (and kept Gestede) but we didn't and now we're scraping the free-agent bin trying to rectify the sorry situation.

Not strictly true...'attacking the ball' is what they should be doing, and we don't....in either box. Nothing wrong with letting a ball bounce if you're first to it and attacking it. Problem is when you're caught on your heels and you just lash a leg at it...Kodija, Elphick, Hutton, Baker, Chester...all guilty of that recently.

Defensively we are very poor technically. Look at starting positions, body shape etc when the ball is wide, we are just terrible. Love to know the percentage of goals we concede from wide areas (inc. corners)?...I wouldn't mind betting its up around the 70% mark. Every time the ball is wide we look vulnerable. 

Our full backs never stop the cross...ever. That's the first rule of defending as a full back. Stop the cross.

Then when it does come in our marking is ridiculous. Centre Backs have no idea where strikers are because their body shape is 'closed' not 'open'. First thing we were ever taught....man and ball,....as a defender you must be able to see man and ball. Turn your bodies FFS!

For professional footballers, Chester, Baker and Elphick are extremely poor at this basic defensive principle!

When RDM was sacked we were in 19th place after 11 games (hadn't lost many but drew too many). £millions spent, a load of new players and 21 games later we are 2 places higher and losing like it's going out of fashion. What makes anyone think that Bruce is the man for the job?

Edited by pacbuddies
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

These players are Human beings first and football players second.....They are not doing what he is asking, for whatever reason, lack of confidence, etc

If thats what he gets removed for, then so be it.....but thats it for me.....to say he is clueless I disagree.....FWIW I don't think the previous managers was  clueless either, I think its a throw away comment, because we are/were losing.

you buy a bloke who's a succesful left winger, bruce asks him to play central midfield, right wing, left wing back, attacking midfielder but then the defence of bruce is that BB is not doing what he's asking? 

we've got the same look about us as we had under lambert, garde and sherwood, football is a very simple game and yet we dont seem to know what we're doing, might be because these players are lazy or not very good but changing the line up, formation and playing style every match is a bigger factor

apparently its incredibly hard for us to find a manager who comes in says we're playing a certain formation and a certain way and then buys players who suit what he wants to do, bruce doesnt know what formation he wants to play or what playing style to use but just went and bought 3 players because they looked good for other teams

he's the definition of clueless

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pacbuddies said:

When RDM was sacked we were in 19th place after 11 games (hadn't lost many but drew too many). £millions spent, a load of new players and 21 games later we are 2 places higher and losing like it's going out of fashion. What makes anyone think that Bruce is the man for the job?

"he's been promoted before and we need stability"

watch us play absolutely **** awful, struggle for shots, not score

"he's been promoted before and we need stability"

any defence or positive you can offer for bruce cannot be based on what is actually happening on the pitch, there is nothing on show, absolutely nothing, to suggest we are moving forward

• Like 1

Â