This clown nonsense

Midfielder

What's with this creepy clown stuff? I keep reading about it, has been happening in the States for a while but in the Mail there has been one in Birmingham too. I don't get it. Is this some "social media craze?"

what goes through these people's heads to think, 'I'm going to go out tonight, linger in bushes and just hang around to scare people', it's messed up. 

To make a conscious decision to go out, intent on terrifying people at night, crosses a line. It angers me to be reading this, it's not just creepy, if that was me walking home and one jumped out I would interpret it as a direct and imminent threat. I'm no Bruce Lee and very passive, but I wouldn't run away from some scumbag in a clowns outfit unless they had a weapon, then yeah I'd probably think twice. Part of me actually wants to encounter one. 

one day the news will be reporting on creepy crown fatalities due to someone acting in self defence. Putting people in a fight or flight response is a gamble for these idiots and one day they will bite off more than they can chew. Or as I presume, they only pop out on people they think they can terrorise, which makes it all the more pathetic and cowardly. I don't wish bad on people but these clown pricks need a good pasting. This has to be one of the stupidest social trends I have ever seen. 

Mail text, from link: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/killer-clown-spotted-birmingham-suburb-12001425

The craze of people dressing up as ‘killer clowns’ has led to another terrifying incident in a Birmingham suburb.

The first image has emerged of a menacing clown lurking in bushes in Shard End, in the city, late on Sunday night.

It becomes the latest report in the region after unconfirmed reports of similar incidents in Evesham, Worcester, and Droitwich.

I agree with OP.  It's a deliberate attempt to unsettle members of the public.  Regardless of how dangerous the individual intends to be, they are still trying to intimidate and put fear into people who are going about their business.  You'd think it's only a matter of time before they spook the wrong person and get the ever living shit kicked out of them.

23 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If someone dressed as a clown approached me on the street they will be getting seriously hurt. 

what if it's Chuck Norris dressed as a clown ?

Â