Mafia 3

dubbs

The vast majority of the differences in that video at least visually were due to Mafia 2 being primarily a PC developed game with PC exclusive features. For instance the debris and the smoke were both Nvidia PhysX features not present on the pared down Console ports. The other features gameplay wise could also be attributed to Mafia 2 being a mature PC centric experience, where as Mafia 3 is a typical GTA clone made for a modern Console audience.

My issues with Mafia 3 is that it has lost all the identity the series had. Mafia was a hard game that was hyper-realistic and carved its own niche in an open-world genre that GTA had made its own. Mafia 2 was less hard but continued the trend of hyper-realism and still felt like a Mafia game. Mafia 3 feels like a very sludgy and slow version of GTA and feels very much like a game built in a post-GTA V world, it feels like it's trying to emulate the showy cinematic style that GTA has had for a while now, something GTA relishes in and beats all imitators with. Mafia 3 is not a bad game it's just a bad Mafia game, if you have never played the Mafia games then this game will likely be a blast. 

Edited by Daweii

16 hours ago, Daweii said:

it's just a bad Mafia game

This is damning enough to confirm that I'll be giving this a miss. GC opened their review with this;

Mafia III has one of the best-written stories in modern gaming, and bravely uses its narrative skills to tackle heady issues of racism and violence. Mafia III has one of the best-written stories in modern gaming, and bravely uses its narrative skills to tackle heady issues of racism and violence. Mafia III has one of the best-written stories in modern gaming, and bravely uses its narrative skills to tackle heady issues of racism and violence. Oh, sorry. Do you wish we’d stop doing the same thing over and over again? Did it seem interesting the first time round, but you’re already sick of hearing about it? Well… welcome to Mafia III.

:lol:

• Like 1

I don't like crowbcat but this is just funny

I don't mind some 'jank' and I don't think much of this is much more than poor quality control, but it is funny.

I'll be picking this up at some point but I think it's a Christmas sales game for me. Same with Deus Ex, nailed on to be £25 in December.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

In fairness I'm a sucker for any big that involves the player character being launched hilariously into the air. It's nearly a selling point.

Here's mine from DA Inquisition 

:D

22 hours ago, Daweii said:

The vast majority of the differences in that video at least visually were due to Mafia 2 being primarily a PC developed game with PC exclusive features. For instance the debris and the smoke were both Nvidia PhysX features not present on the pared down Console ports. The other features gameplay wise could also be attributed to Mafia 2 being a mature PC centric experience, where as Mafia 3 is a typical GTA clone made for a modern Console audience.

Any anytime console players wonder why PC gamers tend to actively dislike consoles and moan about them, rather than just ignoring them and going about their day, this is why.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Any anytime console players wonder why PC gamers tend to actively dislike consoles and moan about them, rather than just ignoring them and going about their day, this is why.

Yeah. I mean I love my Consoles they serve a purpose and let me play with my friends who consider £600 graphics cards and £400 processors a waste of money and that's perfectly fine, but on the other hand I do have a very very high-end gaming PC so the frustrations can be real sometimes.

What I dislike is not the Consoles but the Publishers that believe that Console gamers are less hardcore and need simple games. Yes there are less buttons on a Controller but in the age of context sensitive controls that's not an issue, I have played games where the Triangle button literally does 6 different things depending on the scenario you are in. Yet many Publishers feel the need to simplify games to the point where there is nothing to them. It is this that introduces that stigma that PC gamers have for Consoles that they ruin games and make them less complex.

The reality is that gaming in general is becoming vastly more mainstream. The result of this is games designed so that regardless of if it's your first game ever or you've been playing for 30 years you can enjoy it. I think it's just taking PC gamers longer to accept that maybe it's not the Consoles fault for everything wrong with gaming. Yes I love complex games and it makes my year when one actually comes out, but that's not where gaming is anymore as Mafia 3 shows. 

• 2 months later...

Picked this up in the sales, I'm about 7/8 hours in to it, the way they do the narrative is interesting, the gameplay really isn't, it's just dull, simplistic and really repetitive, do these couple of things, flush out some bloke, go get him, rinse and repeat, wouldn't say I've properly explored the city yet but that seems the same too, really uninspired, wouldn't even say it's a poor mans GTA, it's more in line with mercenaries or the saboteur 

Not only that, to flush the underboss out you have to break up his businesses, go shoot up his gang at the distillery, he'll then appear...at the distillery...so you go do the exact same thing again

so much has gone in to the story and setting the structure of each objective seems to be a tacked on after thought

edit: as I've just remembered due to doing it somewhere else, to really do the game 100% you have to wire tap each area first, the junction box is of course at the distillery, so in effect the game wants you to clear the distillery 3 times

Edited by villa4europe

Yeah, ridiculously repetitive.

That said I finished it today and the last few missions are great.

Really enjoyed the story, acting, setting, soundtrack and characters.  If they'd spent a bit more time on the gameplay they could have knocked it out the park with this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished it, yeah the last couple of missions where they gave you big settings at least made it interesting and there were some good retribution moments that took me completely by surprise but overall it fell short, if I was being kind I'd give it 7/10

Â