Plusnet

Derryvillan

They've been fine at a basic level.

When service has gone down, it's only been down to them once in 7ish years.

Can't really blame them for the ancient BT box at the end of the street, or lightning strikes that have caused problems.

Their website can be checked for problems in your area. A real UK bod picks up the phone should you call.

It's not the quickest but it's ol' fashioned copper wires here.

Literally love them.

Been struggling for 6 months with BT - the connection dropping all the time. Then I realised they'd hiked my bill up again without me noticing (which is no doubt more my fault than theirs). I binned their £49 a month service, and am now paying £16 a month with PlusNet.

Needless to say, when I plugged in the new PlusNet router, the same old problem happened. 

Within 3 days though, PlusNet had it sorted and they rang me back every four days for a few weeks just to make sure it was all still OK. Really happy with them. The only slight knock I could give them is that calling their helpdesk takes an age to get through (best I managed was 30 minutes) but I didn't mind that as they actually fixed the problem - something BT had singularly failed to do.

Used them years ago with no problem and the motherinlaw has them too.

We moved from BT to them at work and cannot wait to get away from them. Despite being owned by BT and the only thing which changed was the router we have had no end of connection drops and they said that 3 or 4 per day was within their tolerance..........................

5 hours ago, choffer said:

Literally love them.

Been struggling for 6 months with BT - the connection dropping all the time. Then I realised they'd hiked my bill up again without me noticing (which is no doubt more my fault than theirs). I binned their £49 a month service, and am now paying £16 a month with PlusNet.

Needless to say, when I plugged in the new PlusNet router, the same old problem happened. 

Within 3 days though, PlusNet had it sorted and they rang me back every four days for a few weeks just to make sure it was all still OK. Really happy with them. The only slight knock I could give them is that calling their helpdesk takes an age to get through (best I managed was 30 minutes) but I didn't mind that as they actually fixed the problem - something BT had singularly failed to do.

Its funny as PlusNet are part of BT, but its amazing how differently they seem to be run

My BT connection keeps dropping when I stream stuff (can drop 10 times during a film which is extremely frustrating) but put it down to my ancient router. Think its a Home Hub 2 and had it since 2008! Need to get it sorted

As for PlusNet, my parents have been using them since 2009, with no issues 

On 10/3/2016 at 20:29, Xela said:

Its funny as PlusNet are part of BT, but its amazing how differently they seem to be run

My BT connection keeps dropping when I stream stuff (can drop 10 times during a film which is extremely frustrating) but put it down to my ancient router. Think its a Home Hub 2 and had it since 2008! Need to get it sorted

As for PlusNet, my parents have been using them since 2009, with no issues 

That was exactly the problem I had. I also presumed it was the home hub until the plusnet replacement exhibited the same symptoms. Took plusnet days to fix what BT never could.

Edited by choffer

I would never trust plusnet again after signing up for a year with them and being forced to buy out my contract because of a change in terms and conditions after only 2 months into the contract. Ok it was 10 years ago but a very dishonest company.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2016 at 20:50, choffer said:

That was exactly the problem I had. I also presumed it was the home hub until the plusnet replacement exhibited the same symptoms. Took plusnet days to fix what BT never could.

I know its not relevant now but I think i solved my HomeHub problem by changing the settings. Its was on 'automatic' channel but I changed it to a specific channel (channel 11) and it hasn't dropped out in 2 weeks.

I'm still having Virgin though as its faster (can't get BT fibre in my apartment) 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, limpid said:

Like?

Blocking of ports, caps on usage even though its classed as unlimted. Frequent downtimes, but its not from the most reliable source though so if others have not experienced problems with them then thats great. Still wouldn't trust plusnet though! I've been with a small company called aquiss for a long time now. An entanet provider. Pay more but reticent to change.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

Â