Next Villa Manager

Richard

The Telegraph link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/11/aston-villa-to-appoint-steve-bruce-as-manager-on-wednesday/

Steve Bruce will be confirmed as the new manager of Aston Villa on Wednesday.

Bruce has agreed a £3million-a-year deal after emerging as the leading contender for the Villa board and will be unveiled officially within the next 48 hours.

The former Hull City manager will take charge of this Saturday's game against Wolverhampton Wanderers, with Keith Bertschin, Stephen Clemence and Gary Walsh expected to join his backroom staff.

Bruce, 55, was always identified as the preferred choice for the Villa board, after the dismissal of Roberto Di Matteo, and has had extensive talks with chief executive Keith Wyness and Steve Round, the technical director over the past few days.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If he gets us promoted be best money invested

I seem to recall we were paying Sherwood more than £2M... We seem to rip ourselves off with managers.

17 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Ok ok. But he was never very short with second favourite totally out of sight. As Bruce has been for a week. 

Anyway he is here now. I'm happy. 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Goodbye next villa manager thread, see you this time next season.

Although hopefully not...

I thought we were sacking him if we go up, 'cause he's a crap record in the Premier League and assume sacking him if we don't. So, yeah, see you next year.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok ok. But he was never very short with second favourite totally out of sight. As Bruce has been for a week. 

Anyway he is here now. I'm happy. 

Well, now the goalposts are being changed. You originally stated that the bookies hardly get anything wrong in regards to managerial appointments. They quite clearly do, and have done in most managerial appointments we've made at some stage or another. I'm sure they do at all other clubs too, I just don't pay attention to them.

But now it's about the second favourite being out of sight? Hasn't Sean Dyche been like 6/4 today? Yet it's me who's making stuff up to prove my point :rolleyes: ;):P

Sod what anybody says, in the past I have always been one to want a "sexy" name or unknown quantity. After being battered down to reality in recent times, I don't know if I have felt so "safe" with a manager in our modern time. Old head, vast experience and a steady hand. 

We can either accept it for what it is or just moan like whiny bitches.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Well, now the goalposts are being changed. You originally stated that the bookies hardly get anything wrong in regards to managerial appointments. They quite clearly do, and have done in most managerial appointments we've made at some stage or another. I'm sure they do at all other clubs too, I just don't pay attention to them.

But now it's about the second favourite being out of sight? Hasn't Sean Dyche been like 6/4 today? Yet it's me who's making stuff up to prove my point :rolleyes: ;):P

You just made that last paragraph up! Now stop it and behave yourself. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

probably the first time I wont be backing the new manager in charge. disgraceful decision if its Bruce

Why? 4 promotions from 4 seasons in the Championship. Not too many quality managers are going to want to take the reins at a club at the bottom of the 2nd tier, which has proven time and again to be a managerial graveyard. If you backed McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood et al, surely Bruce isn't a step too far.

I see little cause for celebration, and little cause for misery.

We are a poorly performing Club looking for a Manager mid season. There are no certainties, that ere are good arguments for a tyro, and equally valid arguments for experience.

I have no doubt whatsoever we tried for Dyche, ( they always say not interested when something prevents it) and possiby Rowett too, and would find criticism of the Board/owner over this hard to understand.

As for Bruce, I think it largely immaterial whether it was him or one of four or five others. With a bit of luck he will do OK.

Over the next three months, anyone thrilled will be disappointed. Anyone disappointed will probably be mildly pleased.

If he gets us to the playoffs he will have done a good job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don't get this. Why 10th this season and worse next? What are you basing this on? It can't be on Bruce's championship record because he gets teams promoted. So why all the negativity?

Thats my opinion - I don't think Bruce will massively turn it around and I don't think we will push on next season. Good for you that you are positive, I'm afraid all the positivity has been knocked out of me. 

A dull, turgid, uninspiring and unambitious appointment.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Thats my opinion - I don't think Bruce will massively turn it around and I don't think we will push on next season. Good for you that you are positive, I'm afraid all the positivity has been knocked out of me. 

A dull, turgid, uninspiring and unambitious appointment.  

Everything in his career up until now suggests that this will not be the case. He has been a successful manager at this level, promoted 4 times with 2 clubs, the most recent of which was last season. 

So pray tell, what are you basing this on? 

I'm actually sorta past caring what other fans think to be honest, so nay bother if you don't want to reply. All I want is a team to be proud of, that wins a few sodding matches every now and then. Crikey, the scenes if we were to win 2 in a row. Or just once away from home. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

Just now, Mantis said:

But you wanted Hodgson...

yes a manager that has won titles around Europe, got smaller teams to European finals and managed 2 of biggest clubs on the continent and number of international teams.

compared to a manager who biggest club was Sunderland which he failed miserably at