Next Villa Manager

Richard

Do people honestly think Tony would appoint Big Sam? Genuine question, because I'm gobsmacked at the thought of a man who is self made, worked incredibly hard to get to where he is and takes huge pride in his business, appointing a man who is currently the center of one of the biggest scandals of modern English football and is facing blatant corruption charges without a leg to stand on. I find it mind boggling.

I don't think RDM will be axed just yet, but if/when he does I'd like to see us go after Quique Sanchez Flores (might be wishful thinking but he might fancy another go at the Prem)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bomvilla7 said:

Do people honestly think Tony would appoint Big Sam? Genuine question, because I'm gobsmacked at the thought of a man who is self made, worked incredibly hard to get to where he is and takes huge pride in his business, appointing a man who is currently the center of one of the biggest scandals of modern English football and is facing blatant corruption charges without a leg to stand on. I find it mind boggling.

I don't think RDM will be axed just yet, but if/when he does I'd like to see us go after Quique Sanchez Flores (might be wishful thinking but he might fancy another go at the Prem)

Exactly the type of manager we need to avoid. 

We need a no nonsense type. 

42 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Bruce is uninspiring but a pair of safe hands. I'd be okay with either.

That is exactly what we need at the moment. Uninspiring maybe, the football won’t necessarily be pretty but it will be effective and I would be confident he could quickly have this lot playing to a system that gets the best out of them and gets us right up amongst the promotion places. Not the right man long term but for where we are now and to get us back up he would be ideal for me.

The issue I would have with Rowett is that this job comes with a pressure he would never have experienced before. There is an expectation here that he hasn’t had at Burton or Sha. He does get results though given the resources he has had available and although the way his teams play isn’t pretty they are effective.

If Xia has these huge plans and the resources to back up that talk then surely we could entice someone like Eddie Howe, Sean Dyce or perhaps more realistic Chris Hughton. They shouldn’t be beyond our reach given the owners ambition and the fact the potential here is huge compared to the clubs they are at now.

• Like 2

These are the last ten managers we have had:

• John Gregory
  • Graham Taylor
  • David O'Leary
  • Martin O'Neill
  • Gérard Houllier
  • Alex McLeish
  • Paul Lambert
  • Tim Sherwood
  • Rémi Garde
  • Roberto Di Matteo

I don't know who the next manager should be but someone who isn't shit would be fantastic. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think there will come a point where he has to sack him. He not just going to let us slide out of the division 'lerner style' - I don't see any upturn in results on the horizon. 

Don't think there'll come a point when he'd be forced to, unless we're in serious danger of being relegated, which I believe even a combo of Sherwood-RDM could avoid in this terrible league. 

Just now, villa89 said:

So Allardyce then? None of the rest of those candidates would consider us.

If Xia realised how important the next appointment is and how much better Hiddink or Bielsa would be than most of the other candidates maybe we would have a chance.

If it's not possible then Allardyce would be my choice.

I reckon from the rumours going around if Di Matteo is sacked, it will be Bruce coming in. His record in this league is excellent and even in the Prem it is decent, I would happily take him. What we need is a proven manager, someone who has done it over many years. Look at Bilic, he was looking like a real gem at the end of last season, yet he could end up sacked before Xmas with his reputation in tatters. 

IF Doc does pull the trigger - which i don't think he will, not yet anyway - I don't think there is a chance in hell he will go for Sam; even though I think he would be ideal from a 'footballing' perspective.  Remember Doc's comments about Morrison and only wanting people with the right principles. 

Football clubs need to start appointing managers from places when they have succeeded, not ones who have failed. We're not the only club to keep employing the same recycled faces with a track record of losing and getting sacked. They get another new job and then everyone is surprised when they're useless and end up getting sacked again. 

• Like 1