Next Villa Manager

Richard

12 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

That only potentially becomes an issue if we were struggling and whatever manager Xia appoints you can't start off on the basis what will the reaction be if we struggle. 

Given the squad we have I believe Bruce could get enough out of them to get us promoted. He has four promotions out of this division on his CV which is impressive. Beyond that I doubt he would be the man to take us where Xia wants to ultimately take us but we need to take that first big step back into the top flight first and then worry about that.

I don't think Bruce would be right for Villa. We've given him far too much shite with his song for years that he probably wouldn't give a toss about us or the club. 

3 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I don't think Bruce would be right for Villa. We've given him far too much shite with his song for years that he probably wouldn't give a toss about us or the club. 

I’d be confident he would raise way above that and it wouldn’t even enter his mind if he was approached. It was only banter.

However if he is that shallow then I wouldn’t want him here anyway.

Villa would be the biggest club he has managed and I think he would jump at the chance.

JESUS H CHRIST!!!!!

STEVE BRUCE?????? STEVE BRUCE??????

Have people lost their minds completely??????? Madness utter madness. RDM needs to be given more time. Have people forgotten the UTTER shambles he inherited?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

JESUS H CHRIST!!!!!

Have people lost their minds completely??????? Madness utter madness. RDM needs to be given more time. Have people forgotten the UTTER shambles he inherited?

Actually, this is a very good point. 

Benitez took over Newcastle and they were still relegated, but they have benefited from keeping him. Really, since we have appointed RDM we should be giving him until Christmas at least 

• Like 1

The time has come for RDM to go.

I posted long ago that we needed 1 manager to come in and sort the mess out then a 2nd manager to kick us on (or Pearson as I believe he could have done both here)

I'd have sacked RDM 3/4 games ago, put Clarke in charge, and start looking knowing that a ) Clarke has managed before and b ) he knows the players we have.

Maybe he buys us enough time to see his own merits. 4pts every 2 games would keep us ticking over till a decision has to be made.

This England debarcle couldnt come at a better time for us.

For a start, Managers like Howe, Dyche, Hughton, Bruce and any other England hopefull will all be assessing their "better gig" urge.

The Telegraph scoop will mean any new manager appointment could be on the premiss that he/she :-) is "clean".

Now that the mess is sorted and we have some sorts of players capable of being good in this league, we should b-line for the immediate objective, Promotion.

So for me, in order of preference.

Howe

Dyche

Wharburton

Bruce

Hughton

McCarthy

Wagner

Smith

Rowett

Or monitor progress under Clarke. All the while he can keep up an average of 4 from 6pts (would give us 82pts) he'd be deserving of the job.

38 minutes ago, roadoftrinity said:

Actually, this is a very good point. 

Benitez took over Newcastle and they were still relegated, but they have benefited from keeping him. Really, since we have appointed RDM we should be giving him until Christmas at least 

Comparing Benitez to Di Matteo is doing Di Matteo no favours.

Benitez came into a struggling Newcastle side and in his first 10 league games in charge they won 3, drew 4 and lost 3. This was in the Premier League. Di Matteo has won one in the Championship after being given a fortune, at this level, to mould his own squad.

Looking at this season alone in 12 competitive games Benitez has overseen 8 wins. In 11 games Di Matteo has over seen one.

If we are using Benitez as any kind of yardstick to measure Di Matteo by then he should have been sacked already.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Comparing Benitez to Di Matteo is doing Di Matteo no favours.

Benitez came into a struggling Newcastle side and in his first 10 league games in charge they won 3, drew 4 and lost 3. This was in the Premier League. Di Matteo has won one in the Championship after being given a fortune, at this level, to mould his own squad.

Looking at this season alone in 12 competitive games Benitez has overseen 8 wins. In 11 games Di Matteo has over seen one.

If we are using Benitez as any kind of yardstick to measure Di Matteo by then he should have been sacked already.

and that win was against bottom of the table Rotherham !

The more I think about this the more I think we need RDM to stay and start winning.  A change of manager would could create a lot of disruption and that would be a very dangerous strategy.  I reckon we need a 60% win ratio from here on to get us in those play-off places  - that needs to start Sat and keep going.  So say we need 6 wins from the next 10.  There is no time to mess about with new managers getting to know new players and telling us 'it will take time'.  Everyone is clamoring to get RDM sacked but that could f**K us right up if the new messiah takes any time to settle, which it is likely, and there are no guarantees he would get this team winning straight away.  The best scenario for us is that RDM starts to get his act together and starts picking up wins starting Saturday - that is what should all be praying for whether we like RDM or not.  He's our best hope this year IMO.  If we change managers I think we wave promotion bye-bye.

Edited by Gary Thomas

10 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

He's our best hope this year IMO.  If we change managers I think we wave promotion bye-bye.

If a man with one win from his first eleven games in charge is our best hope then god help us.

Bringing in a new manager would make zero difference in terms of him getting to know the players and getting the best out of them. The current manager hasn’t got a clue as shown by him jumping from one formation to another and often playing two or three formations in one game.

Di Matteo bought a load of players but had zero idea as to how he was going to use them and what system they would fit into. It is unreal as surely the first thing you do before overhauling a squad is decide on the formation you want to play and then buy players to suit the system. He didn’t come in mid way through the season he had a blank canvas. I can't believe how poor he has been.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

If a man with one win from his first eleven games in charge is our best hope then god help us.

Bringing in a new manager would make zero difference in terms of him getting to know the players and getting the best out of them. The current manager hasn’t got a clue shown by him jumping from one formation to another and often playing two or three formations in one game.

Di Matteo bought a load of players but had zero idea as to how he was going to use them and what system they would fit into. It is unreal as surely the first thing you do before overhauling a squad is decide on the formation you want to play and then buy players to suit the system. He didn’t come in mid way through the season he had a blank canvas. I can't believe how poor he has been.

You are talking about the past and his weaknesses, which I am not arguing with. I am just looking at this pragmatically.  By my reckoning we need a 60% win ratio from this point to get to about 22/23 wins which would get us in the play-offs. The disruption and transition caused by changing managers could be disastrous if they take any time at all  - they would need to hit the ground winning instantly or that required win ratio will soon become 65% or 70%.  Our best hope is that our incumbent manager turns it around and starts to win games, starting Sat.

Edited by Gary Thomas

Just want to go on the record that Mark Hughes is rubbish.... totally overrated manager, how people can want him here is baffling.

We want rid of RDM (well some do) cos he has spent money and not got the results.

Well ummm Mark Hughes has spent money ...... and not got results.

If we are going to change manager it better be a definite improvement and not a sideways pass!!!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Bringing in a new manager would make zero difference in terms of him getting to know the players and getting the best out of them. T

If you really believe that OK.  If you are saying a new manager will come in with a new staff and immediately get us winning OK.  I am just saying if they do take any time we will be too far behind the curve.

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

JESUS H CHRIST!!!!!

In a word....yes, yes they have.

That is exactly what's happening. People want an instant fix. People also fail to grasp the concept of time.

It will take time to turn it around, no matter who's in charge, no matter how much money is spent. That means, for a while, we wont play particularly well, we will look disjointed, and we're going to get beat by sides who are 'beneath' us, but are actually better footballing sides than us at this moment in time.

10 games is not enough time, nowhere near

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Anyone but RDM

Anyone? If you want people to value your opinion maybe articulate it a little better. 

For example you would be very upset at me being manager..... I dont have any badges in fact Ive never even played a competitive game of football.....

23 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

The disruption and transition caused by changing managers could be disastrous if they take any time at all  - they would need to hit the ground winning instantly or that required win ratio will soon become 65% or 70%.  Our best hope is that our incumbent manager turns it around and starts to win games, starting Sat.

Changing managers could be disastrous. You mean it could get worse than 1 win in 11.

Genuinely I am not being funny here but what disruption would be caused? We have no set formation/system. Nothing would be being ripped up in terms of what happens on the pitch and have to be started again as there is nothing in place which quite frankly is shocking. As I said a manager with a whole pre season, substantial funds and control over who he wants to keep you would expect would have a system he wants to play and then purchase/retain players to suit that system. All the evidence suggests Di Matteo didn’t.

By your logic we would never have sacked Lambert with 14 games of the season remaining as it would have caused too much disruption and gave us no chance of avoiding relegation. As it was we stayed up and got to an FA Cup final. In fairness no club would ever sack a manager during the season if they simply based it on the disruption it may cause.

For as long as Di Matteo remains here I will be hoping he turns it around. I am not though going to use wishful thinking and a fear things could get worse as a basis to keep him as quite frankly I don’t think with this squad it could get any worse than 1 win in 11 games. I will judge him by the here and now and what has gone before and based on that, at this moment in time, he would have to go for me.

50 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Changing managers could be disastrous. You mean it could get worse than 1 win in 11.

Genuinely I am not being funny here but what disruption would be caused? We have no set formation/system. Nothing would be being ripped up in terms of what happens on the pitch and have to be started again as there is nothing in place which quite frankly is shocking. As I said a manager with a whole pre season, substantial funds and control over who he wants to keep you would expect would have a system he wants to play and then purchase/retain players to suit that system. All the evidence suggests Di Matteo didn’t.

By your logic we would never have sacked Lambert with 14 games of the season remaining as it would have caused too much disruption and gave us no chance of avoiding relegation. As it was we stayed up and got to an FA Cup final. In fairness no club would ever sack a manager during the season if they simply based it on the disruption it may cause.

For as long as Di Matteo remains here I will be hoping he turns it around. I am not though going to use wishful thinking and a fear things could get worse as a basis to keep him as quite frankly I don’t think with this squad it could get any worse than 1 win in 11 games. I will judge him by the here and now and what has gone before and based on that, at this moment in time, he would have to go for me.

We could win 3 in the next 10 and still be worse off.  What happens if we bring a new manager in and he wins 1 game in his first 4?  Do we sack him then because we're not doing well enough?  Is the change criteria based on wins or losses or points or league position?  If RDM wins his next 2 games, does he suddenly become good enough again?