• Grealish
    • Ayew
    • Kodjia
    • Westwood (Tishbola 75)
    • Gestede (Adomha 87)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Was at the game as well.  Putting aside the late goal and how sickening that was, a draw was probably right in the end, or that’s all we deserved.  They bossed the first half and we were awful.  We sat back and didn’t play well – we looked like we had never trained together tbh.  Same old issues – players off the pace, dithering on the ball and making short passes that put team mates under pressure,  giving them too much time and space on the ball, chasing shadows as they passed it around our light midfield, winning the ball but having no one to pass it to because of no movement or options, misplaced passes.  You get the drift – think second half Huddersfield, second half Brentford, first half Newcastle. We were set-up to not concede, rather than control the game. The second half was much better.  We closed down faster, started to control possession and we then created plenty of chances – although once again we could not finish which cost us.  What was disappointing is how we played after we scored.  It is like we have not learned a thing and we just reverted back to defensive plan A.

I have always said RDM needs time and he'll come good. Got to admit am not so certain anymore. He got plenty of support from the crowd (who were exceptional by-the-way) but patience will run out, if it hasn’t already.  The problem for me is RDM’s basic football philosophy is so passive and defensive – like we are trying to rope-a-dope teams. I reckon he thinks, lets just sit back and be defensively compact for the first half.  Then for a period we attack and score, then we go back to defending.  It doesn’t work for this league, especially with the players we have at our disposal.  When we switch on and start to press and attack we look like a different team and we create chances at will, but my worry is RDM will not exploit that capability because of his defensive philosophy, even if logic and results say otherwise.  My advise to him would be play more like we did against Forest – on the front, pressing higher, given the opposition no time, winning the ball, attacking in numbers. Our strength is attack, play to it.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

A new ground for me to visit, and felt it was nice to attend a traditional looking football ground still in touch with it's community in a townscape setting. Traditional floodlight towers... Even what appeared to be a dedicated away fan car park - albeit with a difficult queue to get through after the game, but hey ho. Seemed a very friendly club until the last few minutes when even men with impressionable age daughters were doing inappropriate hand gestures at the Villa supporters, and even after their goal, a Barnsley supporter running the full length of the pitch to goad our fans. Quite an unsavoury finish to the game, and I will say this, not impressed by the reaction of our own down at the front responding to it - it really did look like you wanted to kick off against the stewards, the old bill, and that man with the impressionable age daughters. Calm the f**k down guys, seriously.

Anyway, a very tepid first half buoyed only by the singing masses from the B6 supporting end. We did our bit. A busier second half, though I don't believe we touched the ball with any possessive intent between minutes 45 and 50. And then we started creating chances... we looked the more likely to score.

Kodjia went close just before Ayew netted, and Kodjia could have had a couple actually. Grealish made a couple of strange decisions in two minutes, opting to run away from goal when surely a shot at goal would have been the smart move. He had a troublesome few minutes where confidence or fatigue was affecting him.

Defence seemed solid up until that late, late equaliser for them. Could not understand why Tshibola was subbed off. And why bring Rudi on? Genuine question.

Overall, possession was split through the game, though we had more 'on target' shots and chances and marginally deserved better from the game.

15k in the crowd - 5k from us :) 

To show you how big a scalp we were - look back at how the Barnsley fans suddenly generated an atmosphere when they scored... it was like they had just won the cup. They had just earned a draw with Aston Villa. People have dismissed the risk of this - but it's happening.

Final word to the comedy genius behind me who began a chant all on his own during a quiet moment - 'Have you won the European Cup...' A magical moment of mirth. Fair play sir... I said, fair play!!

Roll on Preston, we go again... That game is must win for RDM. If he can't get the players up to see the game out up there (assuming we can actually score again), then I'm done with him and he can do one. I don't care if you call me 'entitled' 1 win in 10 is asparagus. In any league... with any team, established or 'newly gelling.' We're well beyond gelling.

Big-Green-Asparagus.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, andyh said:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" Albert Einstein

In a Nutshell.

I suspect work at  BMH is a major problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raver50032 said:

and even after their goal, a Barnsley supporter running the full length of the pitch to goad our fans

Could not understand why Tshibola was subbed off. 

I still don't understand how he got all the way down without seemingly being noticed by any stewards.

On Tshibola being subbed I assumed this was purely down to him being on a yellow card, as I don't see how Jack stayed on the pitch given how tired he was.  Why not bring Ross on?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

In a Nutshell.

I suspect work at  BMH is a major problem.

I would love to know what goes on down there because we make so many basic errors and often look disorganised.  Do they not analyse these games in fine detail, identify issues and work on them?   What's our strategy for playing from the back?  They often seem unsure, as if they are figuring out on the pitch there and then.  Even if they are not physically training all day, they can work on systems and roles and what is needed.  Everyone makes mistakes, but to keep making the same mistakes is just incompetent at this level. It is not just RDM. There are enough experienced people in our coaching team, and on the pitch, they really should do better.  Take responsibility and sort it out.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

I still don't understand how he got all the way down without seemingly being noticed by any stewards.

On Tshibola being subbed I assumed this was purely down to him being on a yellow card, as I don't see how Jack stayed on the pitch given how tired he was.  Why not bring Ross on?

He looked quite a fat knacker too from where I was sat, surprised he could run that far to be honest. 

Put Gabby to shame. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

I would love to know what goes on down there because we make so many basic errors and often look disorganised.  Do they not analyse these games in fine detail, identify issues and work on them?   What's our strategy for playing from the back?  They often seem unsure, as if they are figuring out on the pitch there and then.  Even if they are not physically training all day, they can work on systems and roles and what is needed.  Everyone makes mistakes, but to keep making the same mistakes is just incompetent at this level. It is not just RDM. There are enough experienced people in our coaching team, and on the pitch, they really should do better.  Take responsibility and sort it out.

Great post, I was never a fan of the appointment,BUT what I did think was with Clarke and Bond on board it was an experienced set up so it work out well, I just don't get how it's come to this. 

• Like 2

Â