Pre match thread

Dirk

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Pretty sure they BEAT Wolves 4-0.

At Molineaux! 

This will not be easy. 1-1.

Ive also just realised that all 4 of their goals were after the 70th minute, with 2 coming after 85 mins ;(

Aliens-meme.jpg

Edited by Dirk

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Then he can't ever win in your eyes. 

I've no issue with some not wanting him or believing he has the ability, he has provided evidence for that. At the same time, closing your mind to the possibility is ridiculous. 

In your eyes and the eyes of others, he can do no right from now on. Lose, it's his fault. Win, it was in spite of him. I hate that attitude. 

Completely agree with this, he got it completely wrong first half yesterday but corrected his tactics and earned us a point in arguably our toughest game of the season. Managers we have had over the past few years would have sent the same team with same tactics out second half... RDM can't win in some peoples eye's

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Then he can't ever win in your eyes. 

Incorrect. I'll give him credit if he gets it right and gets the team setup in some manner that gets the best out of the players. But my prediction for this game is that he won't do that however we'll still win the game. 

41 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Completely agree with this, he got it completely wrong first half yesterday but corrected his tactics.

I don't agree with this. He brought on Gestede to play hoofball and stuck codger on the wing. He got very lucky that we got a goal from a set piece. We didnt really look like scoring from open play.

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I don't agree with this. He brought on Gestede to play hoofball and stuck codger on the wing. He got very lucky that we got a goal from a set piece. We didnt really look like scoring from open play.

Think about what you're saying there, he bought Gestede and Tshibola (also 6 foot 3) on and we scored from a set piece. 

Just stop and think. 

• Like 1

I think he'll have learned from his 5-3-2 experiment and will realise that we need to play to our strengths and go out to attack teams. If we get two or three up then we at least have a system to fall back on to try and grind out the win. Barnsley will be a tough place to go but we are capable of winning. I just hope Di Matteo can right the wrongs and set us up correctly from the start. I think we'll win this, 2-1. 

Personally I'd like to see:

-------------------Gollini------------------

Bacuna----Chester---Elphick----Amavi

----Jedinak---Tshibola---Westwood----

Ayew----------------------------Grealish

------------------Kodjia------------------

subs: Bunn, Baker, Gardner (or Lyden), Hutton, McCormack, Gestede, Adomah

But the key is those three in the middle - start with two and we're gambling.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Think about what you're saying there, he bought Gestede and Tshibola (also 6 foot 3) on and we scored from a set piece.

Just stop and think. 

If throwing on the tall lads in the hope we can nick a goal from a set piece is the height of his managerial ability then we really are in trouble.

• Like 1

I see the midfield working best as a proper '4' so although there are two centrally, Ayew and Jack have a big defensive responsibility too. I'd go for this 4-4-1-1:

Gollini

Bacuna    Chester  Elphick    Amavi

Ayew     Jedinak   Tshibola   Grealish

McCormack

Kodjia

Ayew and Grealish provide width without pulling our wingbacks too far out of position with no cover, so when Amavi or Bacuna do overlap there isn't a gaping void there. Jedinak and Tshi both sit centrally and protect the back 4 while McCormack has more of a free role behind Codger... Could work. 

I worry you end up with this:

Gollini

Bacuna    Chester  Elphick    Amavi

Jedinak  

Tshibola    

Grealish

Ayew             

McCormack         Kodjia

With a huge hole in the middle of the field that Tshibola can't fill on his own. We're back to relying on either a perfect long ball or someone up front beating a few players and making things happen on their own. That's not to say it can't work, but I'd sooner have some semblance of control on games.