Enckelman Day

sidcow

Has anybody else had this today? 

At work today for the second year on the trot a bluescum at work had caught me out by walking up to me and offering me a handshake before wishing me a happy Enckelman day. 

I mean how utterly sad and completely small time can you get?  It's tragic really and a cursory Google reveals that this is a thing for them. 

I would normally rise above it but had to retalliate because when I got back to my desk he had followed up with an E-mail about it to all of the footy fans in the office. 

I couldn't help myself so responded with a comment:

It's good to have a landmark day in September because it brings in a nice symmetry with the 1988 commemorations which were of course October and November:

12 October 1988 Villa Park Aston Villa 5–0 League Cup 2nd Round 2nd leg
9 November 1988 Villa Park Aston Villa 6–0 Full Members Cup 1st Round

As I recall I had on only just drained the last glass of champers when I had to go out and purchase another case.  Costly times!

He then had the audacity to reply some mumbled gibberish about not forgetting the quarter finals win in the year they won the league cup in 2011

I responded that "The League Cup does not count until you have won it 5 (five) times" 

He had the good grace to let it go then but I take no satisfaction in allowing myself to be baited into it.  Feel a little soiled to be fair but blinking heck Enckelman day... Really?? 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep off my boss

he didn't touch the ball, should have been a corner, shit word removed of a ref didn't know the rules

:( 

Oh yes. This is an indisputable fact. He did not touch the ball. The ref didn't know the rules. 

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh yes. This is an indisputable fact. He did not touch the ball. The ref didn't know the rules. 

The ref may have.

Enckleman didn't, and his reaction told the ref to give a goal.

• Like 2

Well they have to have something we have Rotterdam Day so let them have Enckleman Day!  It shows exactly the class between us and them and also shows every other football fan they think more about Villa players than their own.

Forever in our Shadow 

• Like 1

I live in a place where most people literally hate football and champion rugby (union) so luckily encounter no blues fans at all, no Enckleman day, I had no idea they did that. Pretty pathetic. Not like we have a Gary Cahill day is it. We're not pathetic enough to, but here's a Cahill minute to reminisce of a time in a Blues derby that mattered more. Is it Batistuta? Is it Signori? No , it's Cahill! Golllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllaaaacccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccciiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooooooooooo. SOTC

29 minutes ago, villakram said:

Credit where credit is due Sid, as there's nothing like winding up an opposing fan.. you got owned/pawned or whatever it is the cool kids call it these days.

Where is the goddam don't like button? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Richard said:

The fan running on the pitch to give enklemen the rocket polisher hand signal is still one of the most disgraceful things I've seen in football

Probably not as disgraceful as Dublin headbutting Savage, to be fair.

Neither club often come out of those games with any dignity.

in fairness if you get worked up about a day named after a shit goalkeeper then you have some issues. Villa have lost once to them in 11 years so not worth arguing and that would piss them off more as we beat them 5-1 and then our waste of space striker always has the better of them

55 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Dublin should of be Knighted for services towards words removed, Disgraceful stuff from the Queen! 

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 4

Wouldn't have been able to name exact date but I must admit over the past 3-4 seasons I have sometimes had my own "Enckelman day".

As in "well, this is really shit (again) but at least it's not as shit as that match when Enckelman..."

Edited by briny_ear

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I was at that match and Savage's face was the only thing Dublin managed to get his head on all night

Shall we have Cahill scissor kick day?

shall we have a 5-1 day?

shall we have a Milner day?

shall we have a Oliver terribly day?

how about a worse villa side in history still beats blose day?

nope sorry we are not as small time as you losers despite our recent troubles. Form is temporary, class is permanent 

8 hours ago, Midfielder said:

I live in a place where most people literally hate football and champion rugby (union) so luckily encounter no blues fans at all, no Enckleman day, I had no idea they did that. Pretty pathetic. Not like we have a Gary Cahill day is it. We're not pathetic enough to, but here's a Cahill minute to reminisce of a time in a Blues derby that mattered more. Is it Batistuta? Is it Signori? No , it's Cahill! Golllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllaaaacccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccciiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooooooooooo. SOTC

has to still be his best goal

Â